Rega Planar 3 - Platter Wobble

Kapeel

Hi,
My new TT was delivered just a couple of weeks before the lock down in March, however due to the lock down phono-pre got delivered only yesterday. I have immediately noticed the TT platter wobble, the wobble is more pronounced with the felt mat than without the mat, nevertheless there is a discernible wobble. Though I have read online that this is pretty much the case in rega TT at all price points, just want to check if this is something I need to worry about and ask for a replacement? or accept the wobble for what it is and move on?

Regards,
Kapeel

The stock mat of planar is very light and does not sit firm on the platter. Therefore it may be when you look the platter with only felt that is without record over it appear to wobble and more prominent if there is any spot light over the TT. So just put a LP and play it and while playing watch the plattar.

I see what you are saying about the stock mat being crappy and accentuating the glass platter wobble. But so is the case when playing a LP, it looks pretty scary to a noob.

Remove the belt and keep it aside.

Spin the platter by hand and check whether it still wobbles.

If it does, then remove the platter, and check whether the sub-platter (on which the belt is normally mounted) is a snug fit in its bearing. If it isn’t, then send the TT back for a replacement.

Platter wobble is NOT a common feature for Rega, or for any other brand of TT. Something is seriously defective in your unit. By the way, is the speed accurate?

I agree with G401fan. The Platter should not wobble with or without the mat. I believe Rega expect the dealer to do the setup and I believe that is true in India as well.

Hi,
My new TT was delivered just a couple of weeks before the lock down in March, however due to the lock down phono-pre got delivered only yesterday. I have immediately noticed the TT platter wobble, the wobble is more pronounced with the felt mat than without the mat, nevertheless there is a discernible wobble. Though I have read online that this is pretty much the case in rega TT at all price points, just want to check if this is something I need to worry about and ask for a replacement? or accept the wobble for what it is and move on?

Regards,
Kapeel
I guess Rega had this problem since good time.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/rega-turntable-rp3-or-rp6.77011/#post-846939

Since it is new ask the dealer if the problem can be solved. If not communicate directly with Rega Company UK. The wobble is not too bothersome. If the mat is of good quality the wobble should not be more pronounced than the platter. So uneven thickness may be adding to the wobble.
Depending on the whole system when a platter wobbles it generates modulations corresponding to the wobble rising and falling. Meaning when the wobble reaches the stylus the stylus moves up and down for 1 turn which is usually very low to be noticed but the music content rides on this modulation. Usually +/- 1 Hz.
regards

Below I have uploaded videos with/out felt mat, let me know if the video lacks clarity. With the mat, platter wobble is clear as day and night.

The sub-platter also seems to be a snug fit, did not find anything amiss there.

I than removed the belt and spun the platter by hand, the wobble was like it is in the videos.

My phone does not seem to have a gyroscope, hence couldn't verify the speed via a rpm app, however the rpm seems to be OK in a simple stopwatch test.

can not judge from top view. If you are saying about offcenter mat movement it is perfectly OK
I was talking about vertical wobble as posted in link

I guess Rega had this problem since good time.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/rega-turntable-rp3-or-rp6.77011/#post-846939

Since it is new ask the dealer if the problem can be solved. If not communicate directly with Rega Company UK. The wobble is not too bothersome. If the mat is of good quality the wobble should not be more pronounced than the platter. So uneven thickness may be adding to the wobble.
Depending on the whole system when a platter wobbles it generates modulations corresponding to the wobble rising and falling. Meaning when the wobble reaches the stylus the stylus moves up and down for 1 turn which is usually very low to be noticed but the music content rides on this modulation. Usually +/- 1 Hz.
regards
I was considering replacing the felt mat with a cork one. However, when I checked online I found that the stock tone arm does not have vta and hence it probably is not possible to replace the felt mat on a rega TT.

can not judge from top view. If you are saying about offcenter mat movement it is perfectly OK
I was talking about vertical wobble as posted in link
How is the wobble in the videos any different from the video with the scale for guide?

I was considering replacing the felt mat with a cork one. However, when I checked online I found that the stock tone arm does not have vta and hence it probably is not possible to replace the felt mat on a rega TT.
for time being use felt mat. I guess various thickness cork mat will be available if searched.
Also by wobble do you mean the vertical as posted in below video or sideway(horizontal) movement as seen from top. in your mat less first video, i see no sideway movement. So I guess it is ok.

Vertical wobble

for time being use felt mat. I guess various thickness cork mat will be available if searched.
Also by wobble do you mean the vertical as posted in below video or sideway(horizontal) movement as seen from top. in your mat less first video, i see no sideway movement. So I guess it is ok.

Vertical wobble

I re-checked could not make out any vertical wobble, at least not as bad as in the video.

Thank you for the help.

I re-checked could not make out any vertical wobble, at least not as bad as in the video.

Thank you for the help.
Thats very good. So nothing to worry about.
The mat may have offcenter hole giving illusion of wobble.
Enjoy :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back