Remember the BUS from Speed movie that jumps the huge gap of an imcomplete bridge

tellranga

Remember the BUS from Speed movie that jumps the huge gap of an imcomplete bridge.

Lack of Sign Boards, has led a driver to take an under construction bridge, unaware that there is a huge gap in the middle which is exactly above the railway tracks.

Lucky that no train passed during that moment.The frequency of these electric trains is almost one for every three minutes during peak time. It concludes that even local train commutation is risky because such collisions will impact hundreds of train passengers as well due to sudden breaks / derail (offcource it is one off situation, but still it counts, because I am seeing the slow progress of the construction of this bridge for the past 5 to 6 years atleast ).

SUV takes flyover, lands on rail track

Attachments

• SUV.jpg
    SUV.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Damn, is this for real?
I do remember the scene from Speed too.
But again, the flyover is not so common. We have even greater menaces which are more common like gigantic potholes, unmarked speedbreakers, loose aggregates( which turn into lethal flying objects) and our own dont care attitude towards driving and road safety!

Holy Cow!! That mechanic who gave the malicious directions needs to be traced and arrested along with the contractor.

Regards

Where in the world is a flyover left unfinished for years? Where in the world is an unfinished left open?

The driver had a miraculous escape. Will the state pay for his medical treatment and his car?

This Bridge if completed, will give a direct straight road connection from OMR/ECR strectch to Chennai Airport by avoiding the usual Adyar & Guindy route (hassle free 15 KM bypass road ride, free from heavy traffic & frequent traffic signals ).
Work on the bridge commenced in 2003 and was to be completed in 2005. The work could not be completed as per the schedule due to delay in Land acquiring. Heard, Land Owners, halted the progress by appealing STAY ORDER in the court long back.

Last edited:
only in India! And only in India will the highway authorities and everyone else responsible for this go scot free. Mera Bharat Mahaan.

Only in India will anybody even attempt to give an explanation for this sorry incident (read accident). I still remember when the new Kathipara bridge was about to be inaugurated and an old man on a two wheeler happened to be the first casualty on the first day of operation. There were no signboards and I still vividly remember arguments stating that the man must have proceeded with caution especially as the route was new. It is this attitude which means that the authorities go scot free and they continue to rule over us. This is not democracy. Just autocracy and monarchy by another name. Worst thing is Indians are aiding and abetting this lunacy.

Quite a sad incident, yet one of many.

Despite the accidents caused due to careless attitude of authorities, its even sad to see the way we are equipped to handle exigencies. Our systems are just not prepared to handle a sizeable proportion of any catastrophic incident.

From cases of fire, people falling into open holes to ..the heinous acts of extremists in the name of reason. One amongst many is the lastest bloodbath that the CRPF witnessed.

"we will fight harder" is quite a handy sentence with politicians & authorities, but the cries of 75 families dont weigh this least, while they amongst us shall believe that such happenings could have been prevented.

VERY APTLY put by Vortex about the democracy that governs India. I for one has faith in anyone who doesnt support "extremist" words, nature or action of any sort and hence wish that balanced headed, quality leaders with modern thought process must come forward like Rahul Gandhi but we do also get clowns like Varun alongside (and they need to be fixed right away before its late).

The sytems around us are in grave need of a Rationale ..when how who, is what i am clueless about.
Cause i know my vote today usually goes to the worse amongst the worst ..sadly.

Hope the people picking the power know its worth and dont just fill up bank accounts and later provide sick, invariable statements over the incidents as shared here in, thinking that us civilians are certainly the - cattle class ..who just have gotten used to munch anything that is thrown along our way.

Looking towards a better us and a better nation.

Last edited:
Last edited:
wow! amazing.......the negligence lies in not keeping track of what flyover projects are complete and incomplete i am guessing.....seriously amazing.....what a country.....*applause* *applause*

A case has been booked against the driver for rash and negligent driving.
Do you beleive that. He is now the scapegoat.
Ideally, the driver in turn should sue the Chennai Corporation for negligence in road construction procedures.
Car flies off unfinished flyover - The Times of India

wow! amazing.......the negligence lies in not keeping track of what flyover projects are complete and incomplete i am guessing.....seriously amazing.....what a country.....*applause* *applause*
Read the hilarious justification from the highways department,
"Since the entrace to the flyover is isolated, we thought there was no need for any such warning because local residents are well aware the bridge is yet to be completed. Also, there is a link road near the bridge which is more visible than the ramp, so we thought motorists would automatically use the road rather than taking the incomplete bridge," said an official of the highways department.

hold on not over yet,
"Onlookers said some of them at the foot of the bridge had shouted at the driver not to proceed, but he did not hear them as the SUVs windows were rolled up"

What else can you expect huh,
"The driver did not entangled the high tension power-line over the railway track during his forced landing. Otherwise he would have been like an insect caught in the (spider) web"

Seems to be a very sincere officer it seems,

Lack of warning boards led to mishap in Pallavaram - The Times of India

A case has been booked against the driver for rash and negligent driving.
Do you beleive that. He is now the scapegoat

Yes this part of the coercion strategy to make him withdraw any case he migh slap against the errant officials. Turn the screws tighter slowly so that he is too preoccupied with fighting to stay out of jail rather than working towards prosecuting the real guilty.

A third party legal NGO needs to take up this case and fight on behalf of the public.

Regards

My sympathies with SUV driver, provided he is telling the truth that he did asked the local mechanic.
Also bridge should have been closed by the authorities.
Edit : Sorry, just read the THIRD report. Driver was not at fault. It was accident waiting to be happened. my sympathies to the driver.

Last edited:
Back