• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Repainting vintage hifi

Home Theatre Systems

ptrlsn

Hi there,

I want to assemble a vintage system. I'm considering the Technics 9000 series which is army-green (or whatever this nuance of green is called).

Since this is a 30+ year old system there are usually some cosmetic issues with the separate components of this system. So I'm wondering if there is anyone who has specialized in refurbishing vintage system cosmetically (for this particular system it means repainting)?

Thanks

Srinath_seshadri

I've powderocated several parts, including my KR 9600 kenwood. However you should probably not touch it if its good shape, it usually lowers its value. Mine was mostly rust. Powdercoating makes for a new looking amp, so it was an improvement in my case.
Cool.
Srinath.,

frend2001

I've taken up the same task with an AKAI AM-A1 amplifier.

It's totally kaput cosmetically. There's no issue with getting it's body powder coated, the real pain in butt is re-painting the of the face plate. I'm told that I'll have to screen print the various things on face plate like AKAI name and Bass - treble logos and on n on.

Any inputs on that, how to repaint the face plate ?

greenhorn

water slide decal paper has been suggested as an option - though haven't seen it's results so far

ptrlsn

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, there is a problem with the lettering and I had been wondering what to do with it. Also there is the problem of finding the exact same nuance of the color.

Can it really be that no one has taken up this professionally?

Kind regards
Peter