Repairing a rubber surround

greenhorn

Hi all. I've been MIA for a while - blame in on a spate of bad luck - an accident which left my car in the garage for two months, and a lightning strike which killed off both my PC's - one is still waiting for parts.

Anyway. My car's subwoofer was damaged slightly in the accident. And while retrieving it, its rubber surround got punctured by a screw or a nail or something.

Either way, there is a hole in the surround. I was thinking about getting it repaired by taking it to the local tyrewallah and asking him to stick one of those patches they use to seal punctures in tubes over the hole:D.

Am I doing something wrong here? It's just a DIY solution that occured to me. If nobody has any objections, I'll get it done in a day or two.

Thanks

Hi greenie. A lightning strike killed your pc's????:eek: . First it was the accident and now this ??? Please take care greenie.

Topic: Can you post a pic of the sub please.

Does it require a repair? If the damaged (assuming its a very small hole) part is making any noise, then you dont have to do anything for that, it will not make any issue.

Hai Greenhorn,

One of my Peerless 8 inch woofer also was slightly damaged in the same way , but a small rubber sticker similar to tube puncture piece was used and now the surround is restored and there is no audible sound difference between the two drivers. But ensure that the piece used is as small as possible to cover the damaged portion.

N.Murali

Thought a little,
this is a trick ,if done well the hole wont look repaired i hope!
refer pic first ..

steps:
1)get a butter paper attach new repair rubber piece which is cut a little small to size of hole, with gum(normal craft gum).
2)try to put this pair holding by hand from back of woofer surround(WS)..now add rubber cement to attach cut piece and WS only required amount.
3)add one more butter paper piece on top,keep pressed by some means,this is little hard,if hole is small use 2 fridge magnets to hold this
4)remove butter paper with water;)..almost like original

couldnt get anything done. my usual tyrewallah seems to be closed for the last few days

picture031bi.jpg

picture032b.jpg

here are the pics!

You guys fooled me there. I was thinking the cone got punctured and was incredulous at the idea of having a puncturewallah repair the cone the regular cycle tyre method.

Phew! Now I understand ... :)

Cheers

I've no idea what rubber cement is:eek:. even what i found googling doesnt give me any ideas.
And where do I get this from?

And getting to the back of the surround might not be easy.The screws are fairly tight

couldnt get anything done. my usual tyrewallah seems to be closed for the last few days

picture031bi.jpg

picture032b.jpg

here are the pics!

hi greenhorn,

that tear is not caused by a sharp object, but a lateral shear and pinching effect, causing the rupture.

if that is so, it is quite likely that the coil of the cone is no longer properly aligned in the magnet gap ( deformed spider when the cone was pulled to one side).

if that is so, you will hear a metallic (clicking or grating sound) when the subwoofer is working.

if that is so, repair may be a difficult task.

i hope that is not so, and that sealing that rupture will allow the subwoofer to give you some more years of service

looks like a a small diamond cutting the and a little extra rubber will give a better look..

if you can do it well direct rubber cement will do

@ suri -I've been using it for the last few days, and thankfully, no unexpected noises :)
Let me see if i can remove it from the box- being the lazy ass that I am, the chances are dim:p. else tyrewallahs it is.

I'm having same problem with my Jamo down firing sub. Mine damage is bit bigger. I used cloth sealing tape (masking tape), but the sound quality is not restored like before. Can I repair bigger damage with rubber sheets?

just wanted to update this ooold thread. I got a tyrewallah to repair it with some sort of rubber sheet they use to fix cycle tubes. he cut a rectangular patch of it and stuck it onto the tear. My sub had been working fine with that jugaad fix for more than 4 years :)

When the butyl rubber surround of my 8 inch woofer got damaged by a screw driver i used rubber solution(locally available) between the two ends of the cut by using the corner of a blade for applying the solution and then slightly inserting in the cut. The blade was withdrawn and the cut ends were slightly pressed till such time the solution dried. A neat repair without any patch. But this can be used only when there is more or less a neat cut

add rubber cement to attach cut piece and WS only required amount.

I've no idea what rubber cement is:eek:. even what i found googling doesn't give me any ideas.
And where do I get this from?

if you can do it well direct rubber cement will do

Kaushik, could you kindly explain a bit more on this "rubber cement" thingy and where would it be available?

From my little (re)search, it appears to be the good old 'rubber solution' Isn't it?

green,
sew it together. but be careful about the tension you apply and use thinnest needle you can find. then reinforce it with some rubber based adhesive. I have done this before

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back