Replace front speakers with bigger speakers in 5.1 channel setup.

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

I have a F&D 5.1 channel setup. All the 5 speakers, (11W-4 Ohms each) are connected to the sub woofer. I want to replace the CENTER, FRONT-LEFT and FRONT-RIGHT speakers with bigger (higher power) speakers.

Can you please give some inputs on the things like ...How to do this? What specs should I choose? Do I need speakers with inbuilt amplifier? etc. Any suggestion will greatly help me guys. Thanks a lot in advance.

Naveen
[email protected]

Hi Tuff,

Thanks for responding. I want to use my same existing F&D 5.1 channel sub woofer. I just want to upgrade my front speakers only. So my doubt is, can I directly attach higher power speakers to my existing subwoofer? (presently it is handling 11W-4 Ohms speakers) Or should I buy speakers with inbuilt amplifier. Thanks again...

Hi,

The F & D setup is already drawing power from the subwoofer which acts as the command center...similar to Bose powered HT systems....

You need to look out for speakers which are rated 4 ohms load and output of 10-15watts.

Check on amazon india for such speakers.....

Honestly, the sound quality may improve slightly but loudness will not.

Proper HT or stereo setups have separate amps / avrs and speakers.....entry level systems like Yamaha / Pioneer / Onkyo are available with Vijay Sales / Croma / Reliance Digital....audition and decide accordingly based on your connectivity requirements, actual use and budget.

If budget is low, look at the For Sale by Owner section or hifiads.com

I will definitely consider your suggestions bro. My existing font speakers are 11W each. If I want to go for 20W or 30W, can my existing F&D woofer (acting as a central command) handle the load? How far I can push. This is what I am wondering. Or... If I go for speakers with inbuilt amplifier.. will it work... :)

Hi,

Honestly, you need to be careful with what speakers you connect to the F& D woofer as output is fixed and limited.

Basic HT systems burn around 50-100 watts per channel @ 6-8 ohms load.

If the F&D has pre out terminals, then only you can connect powered (speakers with inbuilt amp) to it.

Hello All,

I have a F&D 5.1 channel setup. All the 5 speakers, (11W-4 Ohms each) are connected to the sub woofer. I want to replace the CENTER, FRONT-LEFT and FRONT-RIGHT speakers with bigger (higher power) speakers.

Can you please give some inputs on the things like ...How to do this? What specs should I choose? Do I need speakers with inbuilt amplifier? etc. Any suggestion will greatly help me guys. Thanks a lot in advance.

Naveen
[email protected]

Hi,
Honestly speaking you should try to replace the entire setup and and not just speakers. F&D would not have put parts that can handle anything apart from its own speakers. Upgrading just speakers could put a strain on either the amp unable to provide enough clean power or speakers failing due to the same reason. Move the setup to the bedroom and get yourself a receiver and a pair of bookshelves. Slowly add speakers to build your 5.1. This route would give you maximum satisfaction without needing a high budget.

MaSh

Hello All,

Naveen
[email protected]

Replacing LCR speakers while retaining the inbuilt amp is a BAD idea , as you will not be able to drive them at OPTIMUM levels..
You should mention the budget ..may be people can suggest better setup at given budget.

I decided not to distrub my F&D setup. I will go for a new system. If my budjet is 25-30K, is it possible to get an AVR+Pair of book shelves? Later il add more speakers. Thanks for wonderful suggestions guys.

I decided not to distrub my F&D setup. I will go for a new system. If my budjet is 25-30K, is it possible to get an AVR+Pair of book shelves? Later il add more speakers. Thanks for wonderful suggestions guys.

Excellent decision. If the expectations are not high then the Yamaha 196 is not a bad setup at all for a small to medium sized room. Yamaha Home Theater Package Yht-196 (Black).

If not, then 25k for a new system would be slightly difficult, if not impossible. You might have to go the Pre Used route for either speakers or receiver.

MaSh

Hi Mash, I really really liked your suggestion Yamaha YHT196. As far as I studied, its absolutely awesome. Can you suggest 1 or 2 other similar systems please? This is just an Idea. (I am thoroughly impressed with your pick bro. Mostly I will go with YHT196.)

With lot of thanks to others who helped me in this entire thread.

You can get Boston Acoustics A26 for 15K. And you are left with 15K for AVR.
Keep a close watch on "For Sale by Owner" section. Sometimes there are very good AVR available for 15K. Just make sure you don't buy very old models which do not decode standard formats like DTS-MA/DD 5.1.

Hi Mash,

Today i checke YHT196. For action movies the sound is simply awesome. But for music (songs) i felt that it is a bit flat. Is it due to settings? I couldnt check all sound settings since it was closing time for the shiwroom. Thank you -naveen

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back