Replacing wharfedale 10.2 tweeter

reachbennym

the tweeters in my 2 year old wharfedale 10.2 speakers are making jarring sounds now.

Should I replace the tweeters? Should I bypass the Wharfedale tweeters and use external tweeters ? Any suggestions?

the tweeters in my 2 year old wharfedale 10.2 speakers are making jarring sounds now.

Should I replace the tweeters? Should I bypass the Wharfedale tweeters and use external tweeters ? Any suggestions?

replacing them with anything other than the OEM is likely to significantly degrade the sound. unless you know your way around speakers (and then you would not ask this question)

some of the issues you may face-

level matching
diffraction issues - from a different ctc distance and if it is not aperfect fit.
phase issues due to crossover shift due to different impedances

my suggestion ::call the wharfedale sevice centre.

"Should I bypass the Wharfedale tweeters and use external tweeters ?" Being a member of Audiophile Community you can not talk like nonsense :annoyed:, it's an punishable offense :mad:, behave yourself ;), always follow the academic (or gentleman) rules :D

Just do what 'kapvin' told

Do not replace it with something else, even if it is superior to the one inside your speaker, it will not be Warf 10.2 any more
If you really interested., Search for the part number of the tweeter online or just open it up, it will surely be there on the magnet. Get the same part from service center or some place else and replace it yourself.

Contact the Wharfedale Distri:
Designer Audio India Pvt. Ltd.
'AC Market', Basement #1, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034. India.
Tel: 91-22-23520320, 23524443 Fax: 91-22-23512836
Email: [email protected]
(Office Timings: Mon-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat 10am-4:30pm, Sun closed.)

They will surely be the best people to help you remedy the issues you are facing with your 10.2's
They are prompt at replying & helping out end users with such issues, so do contact them first before anybody else.

Replace both the tweeters together with OEM drivers or else there will be imbalance in the high frequency output from two channels.
Or, if you know the specifications of the tweeters then you can think of upgrading the tweeters with some higher quality ones provided the physical and electrical dimensions matches as well.
Using an external tweeter will cost the sound coherence big time.

Just my two chutte Paise....

Go ahead, and share your experience. Not sure about you but Forum will benefit most. Good luck!

I am most likely to replace the tweeters with OEMs - but was curious to find if anyone in this forum has tried out using external tweeters . Something like the one shown in this link Fostex T90A Horn Tweeter

Sensible!

BTW, have you seen the price of the Fostex Tweeter Kit advised on that page???

Using it for 10.2's would be like fitting titanium racing alloy wheels on tata nano :rolleyes::cool::p

I am most likely to replace the tweeters with OEMs - but was curious to find if anyone in this forum has tried out using external tweeters . Something like the one shown in this link Fostex T90A Horn Tweeter

These tweeters are designed to be used with fullrange high efficiency drivers and MAY NOT work well with your 10.2 woofer.

If you want to experiment then also you will have to shell out a large amount of money for these. If you have budget for these tweeters then I would say consider getting a new pair of speakers rather than doing a very costly experiment :)

I was hoping that others in this forum had done this costly experiment :)

Anyway, I placed order for 2 tweeters with Designer Audio. At Rs. 2400/- for a pair, its far more easier on my pocket.

Just a noob question, aren't these super tweeters meant to work with and extend the frequencies of current speakers.

can they be used as a stand alone tweeter, cause if yes i am working on my plan for DIY speaker and i will be inclined in using this itself instead of using other's

I was hoping that others in this forum had done this costly experiment :)

Anyway, I placed order for 2 tweeters with Designer Audio. At Rs. 2400/- for a pair, its far more easier on my pocket.

Hi Benny

Are you getting tweeter hardware + silk dome fabric or only the tweeter?

I need one single silk dome for my 10.2 because it got eaten by ants a few years back and it is lying in the box ever since.

If you now have spare silk dome 1" fabric to cover the tweeter, can you sell me one? :)

Thanks
--G0bble

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back