req. suitable amplifier for Alpair 7p

sarathssca

Hello,

I have ordered a pair of mark audio Alpair 7p speakers.

Could you please suggest a suitable amplifier, whether to go for class AB chips like LM3668 or LM1875 etc or class D/T chips like TA2020 or TPA3116, or discreet solid state class A amplifier circuits like hiraga le monstre or any other (as we may not need much high wattage)?

I am not much keen on tube amps. Looking for either chips or solid state amps circuits . Also would like to add some tone controls/equalizer to the amplifier for bass and treble boost/attenuation.

Also in the speakers specifications its given as nominal power as 20w. Is it RMS power handling value or peak power handling value?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Last edited:
you can try all the above mentioned options. ta2020, lm1875, class A all will do fine. Make sure whatever amp you get/build can handle 4 ohm speakers at around 20-25watts.
try not to use bass boost/excess volume. this woofer is very delicate and too much bass will destroy it.

Hello,

Could you please suggest a suitable amplifier, whether to go for class AB chips like LM3668 or LM1875 etc or class D/T chips like TA2020 or TPA3116, or discreet solid state class A amplifier circuits like hiraga le monstre or any other (as we may not need much high wattage)?

I am not much keen on tube amps. Looking for either chips or solid state amps circuits . Also would like to add some tone controls/equalizer to the amplifier for bass and treble boost/attenuation.

Also in the speakers specifications its given as nominal power as 20w. Is it RMS power handling value or peak power handling value?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Dear Sarath,

I suggest you go with Class A AMP anything from 15-25W RMS.

• Pass F5
  • Le Monstre

all are good options to be considered here.

I believe there is a self protecting mechanism implemented in new MA driver which is called "Arrestor" to protect from excess driver over-driving though it has limitations after reaching certain level!

Thanks,
Bijin

Last edited:
Hello,

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Dear Sarath,

I suggest you go with Class A AMP anything from 15-25W RMS.

• Pass F5
  • Le Monstre

all are good options to be considered here.

I believe there is a self protecting mechanism implemented in new MA driver which is called "Arrestor" to protect from excess driver over-driving, though it has limitations after reaching certain level!

Thanks,
Bijin

What does the nominal power = 20w in the specs of these speakers represent? whether its RMS value or peak value?
How about the tone controls circuits before the amplifier circuit, whether its not advisable?

Hello ,

If we r going for class A amp with discreet components , can we use a laptop or xbox
power supply ( which would be a smps) 65w or 90w or 120w or so , for these amps??

If needed with some more filter capacitance or ferrites ...
Will it work well or will it nagete the very purpose of going for a class A amp ??

Thanks and regards
S Sarath

Hello ,

If we r going for class A amp with discreet components , can we use a laptop or xbox
power supply ( which would be a smps) 65w or 90w or 120w or so , for these amps??

If needed with some more filter capacitance or ferrites ...
Will it work well or will it nagete the very purpose of going for a class A amp ??

Thanks and regards
S Sarath

All the things you talked about point to the AmpCampAmp (ACA). There is along thread on the forum and I hope you would have seen that for being a very good combination for full range drivers especially Mark Audio and Fostex. I am using the same ACA + DCB1 with MA Chr70 drivers in FH model. The ACA is powered via a 90w Dell laptop power adapter and it is clean and beautiful.

how is the power of ACA while using with the MA CHR70? In the description its given that ACA is just of 5w, is it enough to power the medium efficient MA drivers?
does it needs a separate power supply for each channel or a single larger power supply be used to power a couple of ACAs for stereo operation?

how is the power of ACA while using with the MA CHR70? In the description its given that ACA is just of 5w, is it enough to power the medium efficient MA drivers?
does it needs a separate power supply for each channel or a single larger power supply be used to power a couple of ACAs for stereo operation?

To my listening levels its actually more than sufficient. I hardly cross the half way mark on my B1 volume. Yes it is only 5w but I think it being Class A is sufficient to run moderately sensitive speakers and my Chr70 are rated around 88db (not sure the exact figure) and they run pretty well. By the way the ACA does not sound good with my other DIY Zaph Audio bookshelf speakers. I feel the power is not sufficient and hence I am using the Marantz PM6004 to run these speakers. It requires only 1 90w laptop adapter and runs both the channels.

What kind of budget are you looking at? The chip amps are a lower cost option and an easier build. Most Class A amps generate more heat and you need decent heat sinks, which could take time to source.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back