Require advice on speakers upgrade for Onkyo HT-R390 AVR

lalurox

Hi experts,

Logging onto the forum after a long time for an advice from experts like you :) Wish I could regularly contribute more to this vibrant community.

I am looking for a budget upgrade to my speakers which came with the Onkyo HT-R390 5.1 home theatre package. I think Onkyo doesn't sell it anymore hence I have hyperlinked the manual for reference.

I see that Taga 606SE is very tempting for their budget price. I am wondering if I buy this and keep the passive subwoofer from my Onkyo, will it sound good? I am NOT too much into thumping bass. Like clear and tight/clean punch. I listen to Focal auditor component speakers in my car without subwoofer and pretty happy with the sound. So that is my taste with respect to sound. I watch movies on Netflix/amazon prime and some DVDs on PS4 and tatasky HD box.

Enough of the stage setting, isn't it? :) My doubts to you experts are:

1. Can my Onkyo drive these speakers well, since I think this is sort of in the entry level AVR and bought in 2011? Think it is written in Onkyo's manual - 100W per channel and speaker impedance supported from 6-16 ohms.
  2. Like I asked in my intro, will the sub woofer still give the same output, if I pair these Taga s to my amp?
  3. In my budget of 30K max, are there any other options, without buying the sub, assuming this sub will be sufficient. I like Polk and other brands, but don't think I can get 5.0 speakers in this range. Or am I missing any combinations which can make my wallet not bleed?
Thanks all in advance!

I am looking for a budget upgrade to my speakers which came with the Onkyo HT-R390 5.1 home theatre package.

Upgrading from an HTIB with a passive sub will limit the options..

I see that Taga 606SE is very tempting for their budget price. I am wondering if I buy this and keep the passive subwoofer from my Onkyo, will it sound good? I am NOT too much into thumping bass. Like clear and tight/clean punch.

I watch movies on Netflix/amazon prime and some DVDs on PS4 and tatasky HD box.

Yes..The Taga 606SE will be a good improvement over Onkyo HTIB speakers.. Real upgrade will be when you get to a an AVR with sub-out and then if you add active subwoofer..

Can my Onkyo drive these speakers well, since I think this is sort of in the entry level AVR and bought in 2011? Think it is written in Onkyo's manual - 100W per channel and speaker impedance supported from 6-16 ohms.

Yes.. It will drive the speakers without issues..

Like I asked in my intro, will the sub woofer still give the same output, if I pair these Taga s to my amp?

Yes.. Your subwoofer is a passive one and will be limited to the power supplied by AVR.. So sub's performance will not change..

In my budget of 30K max, are there any other options, without buying the sub, assuming this sub will be sufficient. I like Polk and other brands, but don't think I can get 5.0 speakers in this range.

Taga 5.0 package will be your best upgrade <30K..

Or am I missing any combinations which can make my wallet not bleed?

Since you have bought this in 2011, you must have had a good time with it so far.. So time for change IMO..

Here are few things that you can consider doing for a proper upgrade..

Sell your Onkyo AVR + HTIB speakers on OLX for a decent money and add that to your budget of 30K.. Am guessing 45 ~ 50K totally..

You can buy a new AVR (with sub-out) + 5.0 package as of now & then add active subwoofer later..

Thanks Elango.

How much does models with wi-fi Bluetooth, and 4k upscaling start from? 5.1 ones. Prefer brands such as Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer. Which one is good? If 4k upscaling is costly, 4k passthrough starting ones.

And Polk TSi100 and CS10 center channel package is at 32K on amazon. package

If for now am keeping my Onkyo, will the above speaker package sound good? Does Onkyo have the power to drive these well?

Sorry for being such a noob!

How much does models with wi-fi Bluetooth, and 4k upscaling start from? 5.1 ones. Prefer brands such as Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer. Which one is good? If 4k upscaling is costly, 4k passthrough starting ones.

Almost every other entry level AVR is equipped with wi-fi, bluetooth & 4K passthrough atleast.. Most 4K should be able to upscale to 4K..

Do you have a 4K TV already (or) do you intend to purchase one soon ?..

And Polk TSi100 and CS10 center channel package is at 32K on amazon. package
https://www.amazon.in/Polk-Audio-Bo...1526583311&sr=8-7&keywords=polk+audio+package

These are fine.. If you want to spend less on your speakers, you can consider this from ebay.in https://www.ebay.in/itm/Taga-Harmon...663708?hash=item41c927335c:g:gYsAAOSwWWxY-OcB Use coupon codes, and you may get it for 1K less than the listed price..

If for now am keeping my Onkyo, will the above speaker package sound good?

Yes.. It should since you are upgrading from HTIB speakers..

Does Onkyo have the power to drive these well?

Yes.. It will..

Sorry for being such a noob!

No worries..Don't hesitate to get yourself clarified..

But remember, if you upgrade speakers, it will be good, but the missing link in your upgrade would be the active sub..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back