Research better than buying?

The only disadvantage is that my wife thinks I am more interested in this than her (which probably may be true at times).

Toilet_Dive.gif

once i start researching and find something nice then i want to buy it. thats when the problem starts

Doctur,

There are 2 approaches to this aspect. Lets take the example of a colleague of mine - he came (to Hifivision), he read and he bought a Panny PV8 - all within the space of 1-2 days!

Then take my example - I have been on Hifivision ever since my colleague recommended the site to me, and have been fascinated by the different inputs that everybody provides here in such a knowledgeable manner without demeaning anyone (the detailed posts by VenkatCR and others are a treat to read and learn from). I think I have spent more than 6 months reading up on the forum, and then about 30+ hours auditioning and confirming what everyone was saying about the PV8 for myself, before going out and getting it (finally getting it last weekend).

So was my colleague more efficient - certainly!!! Did I derive more pleasure and experience and learning from the forum and the hunt for the right TV - I think so!!! So I think both approaches have their merits - but as with the other posters on this thread, I'm inclined to think the scenic route is a lot more fun!

Yep. I used to go to the PC market and ask about specific hardware and they would give me blank stares and ask me why I wanted that only. After wasting my breath on these traders who treat pc hardware like onions and potatoes I finally gave up in frustration realizing none of these stuff will ever reach Indian shores. Moreover ask for a stale potato on the shelf to a trader and the price of the "special" stale variety will zoom to the stratosphere. Likewise because I wanted "that" only, it was suddenly way expensive and out of reach ... :(

Regards

True. Why not look at importing components and still stay hooked on PC building? :)

Research is addictive and at the end proves very very costly.:confused: When u start to research, u tend to come across products superior than u r researching for. Then u keep exceeding ur budget and so on and on(And forum members here provide no less motivation:eek:hyeah: to increase ur budget). In the u endup spending much more than u setout for. So, "BEWARE, Research is Injurious to ur Financial Health.":D:p

and if you factor in the cost of time spent in this, even if you buy the most vfm product after 1 month of research. the cost would work out to be much more than the top of the line product :)

regards

Research is addictive and at the end proves very very costly.:confused: When u start to research, u tend to come across products superior than u r researching for. Then u keep exceeding ur budget and so on and on(And forum members here provide no less motivation:eek:hyeah: to increase ur budget). In the u endup spending much more than u setout for. So, "BEWARE, Research is Injurious to ur Financial Health.":D:p

Thats one way to look at it. In fact I am pretty sure our members' wives (most, if not all of them) look at the entire thing this way:)

my wife does. She says the amount of time and mind space spent could be valued at pretty high amount. And she says you do not have to buy anything, you just have to waste time :)

my wife holds her head everytime i talk of buying something new. "it sounds pretty fine to me as it is - infact better than anything i've heard". but underneath it all every woman loves the geek in a man. and i think she's pretty happy that my vice is a harmless one

...but underneath it all every woman loves the geek in a man. and i think she's pretty happy that my vice is a harmless one

LOL. Wonder when the world will spare the techies off the misery of being considered geeky!

geek.jpg

True. Why not look at importing components and still stay hooked on PC building? :)

Now my perspective has changed ... I like to buy the most cost-effective optimal solution for low power and wattage ( like 780G or nvidia 9400m) and make the most of it :)

cheers

At my home, all these electronic things are called SOL(space occupying lesions).

ususally it is a word used for ill defined brain tumours.:lol:

Hi

Joined this discussion for the interesting Title. I am only one month old in this forum. I was merely a very willing person to listen good music with quality sound and wanted to buy something for the same with out any knowledge for any brand other than Bose , Sony , LG,Samsung etc.Event I did not know the diff of 2 ch and 5 .1 ch . I became a member of this site . After few discussions I made my selection - forum member cranky helped me - and bought a 2 channel system. And I now own " a habit of research/addiction for audio system " free of cost-it originated from a requirement also. Truly it is . And now I know a lot than one month back. Enjoying along with music....

Last edited:
500 dollars worth stuff limit-- bro-- usa-- flying down in december-- research phase- Dayens Ampino + Commonsense Nirvana full-rangers-- no idea how to get there.

i can dilly-dally and drag on philosophical shilly-shallying polemics forever.. but audio electronics and woodorking....... any aids?:sad:

You are right......I get very excited while planning to buy an equipment but 75% of the excitement goes off after the purchase.........:lol:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back