Restoring old bookshelf speakers!

arhantd

I have found in my dad's storeroom a pair of 25 yr old Japanese Criterion 100b bookshelf speakers with a 10" woofer and three 1" tweeters each. They are about two feet tall.

Also found was an old Sansui amplifier.

Everything still works but sounds muddy and boomy everywhere.

I have hooked it up with my laptop (no sound card)

I just want to know what steps can i take to restore the speakers or improve their quality without investing much.

I put new RCA cables to hook the amp to the comp which made it better.
As i can see the cable going from the amp to the speakers is also really old and i will replace it. Will that make a difference?

I need help, advice and ideas!!!
Also if you think its worthless, please let me know!!

all opinions welcome!

hey buddy... nice to see another jaipurite here.. missin jaipur.....

so here it comes.. first of all just dust the speakers.. and will say a blower.. blow of dust ... change the cables.. first step .. and see what is missing.. also see if there is any kind of damage to the speaker.....if not then we can start the restoration...

however many diy guys here who can help you clean the speakers and tweeters properly... and polish the box back again and make it new.....

do post pics... so people here can help you with the same..

I have found in my dad's storeroom a pair of 25 yr old Japanese Criterion 100b bookshelf speakers with a 10" woofer and three 1" tweeters each. They are about two feet tall.

Also found was an old Sansui amplifier.

Everything still works but sounds muddy and boomy everywhere.

I have hooked it up with my laptop (no sound card)

I just want to know what steps can i take to restore the speakers or improve their quality without investing much.

I put new RCA cables to hook the amp to the comp which made it better.
As i can see the cable going from the amp to the speakers is also really old and i will replace it. Will that make a difference?

I need help, advice and ideas!!!
Also if you think its worthless, please let me know!!

all opinions welcome!

25 year old japanese speakers?

you must sell them off to an unsuspecting buyer:yahoo:

Thanks! I could do that... but u have made me think and if i can restore them to a decent standard, then i would just take them to the nearby government school and give the whole setup to them.

I have a 39 year speaker and working fine. Speakers age very gracefully.

--

helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3> Vintage B&W DM4/ KEF 104aB => MUSIC

@arhantd
Was doing some checking around on audio forums and unfortunately, the Criterion 100b speakers don't seem to have a very good reputation. However, some people think the woofers used in them are pretty good and these can possibly be salvaged to make your own DIY speakers (if you're into that sort of thing).
You don't mention the model no of the Sansui amplifier. Most vintage Sansui gear is really good and work without too many problems. You may just need to get it serviced by someone who knows how to carefully handle old equipment.
I would suggest you ditch the speakers and build a new system around the Sansui.
Possibly if you could post pics or the model no of the Sansui, I could make more suggestions.
Hope this helps.

Old is Gold...moreover possession adds more than the quality if the same since u have emotional value attached to it.

So i would recommend that you take it to a music shop(which does repairing)/electrician, and get it repaired.

In the worst case scenario take out the subs, club it with a new pair of tweeters in a new casing and gift it back to your dad. I think the expression and words coming out of dads heart would be priceless :)

i did the same with my dad and it did make the shitty thing look the best in the world :)

all the best!

Thank you guys for all the suggestions.
I took the amplifier and the speakers to a repair shop today.
he told me the same thing to keep the amplifier and the woofer, ditch the rest.

He will return it to me on tuesday and then i shall post some pics.

and perhaps all of u can help me decide on either keeping the setup or going the DIY way. I have never done any DIY stuff but i would love to try.

thanks once again for all the help!

I will post the pics and the model no. as soon as i get the set back from the repair guy.
i cant remember the model no. of the amp right now. sorry

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back