Restoring the PeeCeeBee V4

I love peeceebee v4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vdevgon

PeeCeeBee V4 is a very popular and well regarded amplifier by Shaan. After experimenting with various amplifiers (likes of lm3886, Douglas Self Blameless amplifier, tda2050 , tpa3255, tpa3116 and many class Ds), the diyers itch urged me to experiment with something else as it happens with every diyer. Read a lot about discrete Class AB amplifier (VSSA - very simple symmetrical amplifier) https://www.hifivision.com/threads/tracing-the-peeceebee.61650/
The urge took over and contacted the designer Shaan for the assembled boards .
But another thought came why not go for some used boards, after all, these amplifiers are built to last and there is no harm in saving some bucks.
So in came V4s from an Audio enthusiast who spared the kit with power supply, heat sink and preamplifier.

IMG-20200221-WA0086.jpg
The kit was good and I was happy. Put it together and fired up the amplifier. The run was good and amp was playing well. But there was something amiss .
Couldn't say what . Sound was very clean , all the instruments were shining, but somehow I was not enjoying it thoroughly. Thought it was just my preamp or speakers.

IMG-20200308-WA0031.jpg

Amplifier was great but i felt something missing in the music. My Lm3886 sounded better. The quality of components was good - Vishay Caps, well made board .
Thought of upgrading the caps to the caps being used by Shaan. He suggested that Panasonic FM caps are his choice for his amplifiers after working with various caps. So thought of upgrading the caps on my boards with Panasonic Caps.
Got all the required caps. And over a weekend replaced the caps. Though desoldering caps damaged the PCB tracks a bit. My clumsy tools maybe.
IMG-20200320-WA0056.jpg
Those black caps look stunningly beautiful.
And lo magically the amp sounded just right. Just the way a good amp should sound and non-fatiguing . Vocals, instruments, bass just sounded perfect. Very rich and full sounding amplifier bringing all the musicians and singers in front of me.
Playing the amp for a week now and sound seems to be improving .
As of now this amp is the best sounding amp in my arsenal. Definitely good components can make amps sound right the way the designer intended.

Thanks Shaan for the lovely amp.

Congratulations, enjoy your build. Did you ever own or listen any of the branded setups and compare this? Also how much was the total cost?

Congratulation.
Just wanted to know, are those Panasonic FM or FC caps? In picture caps look like FC series.Panasonic FC,FR and FM ,they sound differently in circuits.

Congratulations, enjoy your build. Did you ever own or listen any of the branded setups and compare this? Also how much was the total cost?
Thanks a lot. I don't have any branded setup. So can't share the comparison.this build costed around 10k cabinet excluded

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back