Restriction to use Compression drivers in a speaker

Sumanta

I want to know what precation/design considerations I should do to connect a compression driver in a speaker.

I want to use active cross over, hence the high frequency Compression horn driver will be powered directly by an amplifier.
So what should be the restriction put on the amplifier. What sort of amplifier can I go for?

Thanks for your help.

Keep a cap in series to limit DC just in case something goes wrong. Factor in this capacitor in the electronic xover. Lets say you are implementing 2nd order xover, 1st order is provided by cap and another 1st order must be provided by the active xover.

I believe you are going to use a waveguide, which dont have flat response, Eq should be provided either actively or passively.

Waveguides have resonance modes, called higher order modes (HOMs). These HOMs have given the waveguides a bad name. Earl Geddes is a great speaker designer who has done a lot of research and proven this. Damp the horn with reticulated foam 30 ppi. You may try the foam used to prevent dust in amps and speaker grils. It is this foam treatment that makes a compression driver sing like a high end dome.

Match the directivity of the waveguide with the mids.

The compression driver is quite sensitive so an amp with low high order distortion at low power should be used. The amps crossover distortion will be more evident with compression driver. Use a higher current biased amp.

There's a fair bit of information in this thread started at the parts-express site by Zilch (R.I.P).

There's a fair bit of information in this thread started at the parts-express site by Zilch (R.I.P).

Thank you so much!

I like the Altec sound - 802 /909 /288 . All sound great with their original DIAs. I've tried them every which way possible - Active with EQ /without EQ, Passive 1st order /2nd order.

To my ears they sound best with a simple classic Altec 2nd order crossover - 8 series. Your mileage could vary...as always...:cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back