Retail or tray CPUs ?

dinesh1201

Hi guys!

Is it okay to buy a tray processor instead of retail one. Thinking of buying i7 10700 or 9700k but on OLX mostly selling tray ones. And we are almost out of warranty in tray processors.
Sellers r saying 11 months warranty from their side but we know these are just the words.
The price difference is 5 to 7k in new and used ones.
What are your thoughts, is buying new one a wise way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Always buy a brand new one from authorized dealers. There are lot of tampered CPUs around. 5k is nothing considering you will use the machine for 3/4 years. A counterfeit CPU will make your system very unstable.

I have been using tray cpu since my first cpu i5 760. You just need to buy them from someone who deal in them regularly and there are chances that they replace them as well in case something happens.

But 5k is very less price diff, since they sell for less than half price in delhi. Just do a load test of cpu before purchasing to see temps under load.

Always buy a brand new one from authorized dealers. There are lot of tampered CPUs around. 5k is nothing considering you will use the machine for 3/4 years. A counterfeit CPU will make your system very unstable.
Thankyou for your insight..not a wise decision buying on OLX.

I have bought a number of cpu from olx via dealers who deal in out of lease systems. Never had an issue with any of the CPUs.

However I think the city matters too, places like Bangalore, Hyderabad, pune, Bombay, Noida see a lot of movement of such computers.

I straight away upgrade ram, hdd and smps on these machines. Dell and HP are well built.

MaSh

I have bought a number of cpu from olx via dealers who deal in out of lease systems. Never had an issue with any of the CPUs.

However I think the city matters too, places like Bangalore, Hyderabad, pune, Bombay, Noida see a lot of movement of such computers.

I straight away upgrade ram, hdd and smps on these machines. Dell and HP are well built.

MaSh
You are absolutely right, city matters! the scenario is just opposite in Lucknow :( you rarely find any high-end PCs or HiFi ads on Lucknow OLX. Most of the time I risk myself to procure from outside UP ;)

@dinesh1201 you didn't mentioned your use. If you're willing to pair it with graphics card, go with 10700f as you'll save around 3-3.5k compared to 10700. Also do note that if you're purchasing from olx, even in boxed CPU you cannot claim warranty if it's not purchased in India.

@dinesh1201 you didn't mentioned your use. If you're willing to pair it with graphics card, go with 10700f as you'll save around 3-3.5k compared to 10700. Also do note that if you're purchasing from olx, even in boxed CPU you cannot claim warranty if it's not purchased in India.
Correct! but a cpu with an iGPU is a good idea to have. Acts as a backup if somehow dedicated GPU dies or some applications like premier and aftereffects uses iGPU I think. I will probably go for non k 10700...cheaper than k version.
I use Adobe applications for design, play some games :) and now my 3rd gen 3770 is bottlenecking with 1660ti.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back