Review of 'Big Video' BD of 'Ghajini'.

sanjay0864

This is probably the best Blu-Ray release by an Indian Video company so far. After so many disappointing BD releases, this 'BIG Home Video' BD of 'Ghajini' comes as not only a total, but a very pleasant surprise. The picture quality is, for the most part, nothing short of excellent and the lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track is also top notch. In short, this is a must buy for all Hindi movie fans. Highly Recommended.

Distributor: Big Home Video
Authoring House: Digital Entertainment
MRP: Rs. 699/-
Title: Ghajini
Running Time: 03:05:05 hrs
(Split in two parts: Part 1 'Start to Interval' - 01:35:49 hrs | Part 2 'Interval to End' - 01:29:16 hrs)
Region Coding: A/B/C
Video: 2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 23.976Hz (Peak bitrate 39.3Mbps)
Audio:
Hindi - DTS-HD MA 5.1 (48khz)
Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (48khz 640kbps) <-- Default Track
Subtitles: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, Hebrew, Malay, Portugese, Spanish.
Special Features:
NONE

Special Mention:
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise. <-- 'Yash Raj' please note.
No scrolling advertisements during songs. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No advertisements before or during the movie. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.

Review:
From the moment the first scene starts and till the last scene I viewed, I couldn't help but have a smile on my face. Such was the impact of the audio visual of this BD. Although, I had intially just planned on spending a few minutes watching the BD, just to get a brief idea of what the quality was like, I couldn't help but keep watching the glorious picture unfold and the next thing I knew I had spent almost a hour watching the BD. Skipping back and forth, pausing at moments where the picture looked good enough to print out as a picture post card. The picture is sharp and very film like, with the film grain totally intact, as it should be and with no hint of any DNR or edge enhancement. The colors are vibrant and the skin tones very natural. The darker scenes are a pleasure to watch with very fine detail and the blacks for once are truelly black. The video may not always be perfect, but it rarely deviates from being atleast very good. In the end if the video does not get a higher rating, it is not because of the authoring, but rather due visible flaws in the original film element. Flaws, such as a line running through the screen from top to bottom, are visible, although only briefly, but in more than one place in the movie.

The audio too is fantastic. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track brings out each sound vividly and clearly. The surround mix is very good with the sounds enveloping you from all around. The bass is also exceptionally tight and not boomy at all, unlike most of the 'Yash Raj' BDs. Again, just as with the video, the only reason the audio does not get a higher rating, is not due to any authoring flaws, but rather due to a problem that has plagued many Indian BDs & DVDs, that of the volume level being too loud. This I believe is not an authoring issue, but rather a problem with the original masters. The surround channel levels, vis a vis the front channels, are too loud, which again is a problem of the original surround mix. This too in my opinion is quite a common issue with a lot of Indian movies, specially the one's originating from the South. Thus, you might be well advised, to lower the surround left & right channels by approx. '4 db', before you start the movie. On the authoring front, my only grouse is that the lossy, redundant and totally unnecessary DD 5.1 track is set as the default track, rather than the lossless, DTS-HD MA 5.1 track.

As if the exceptionally good video and audio is not enough, there is another major reason to be happy with this BD from 'BIG Home Video', there are No Watermark Logos present on this BD, during songs or otherwise. This is something that 'Yash Raj' would do well to emulate. Most of you might have guessed by now, I am thoroughly impressed and satisfied with this BD from 'BIG Home Video'. I Highly Recommend this BD, with absolutely no reservations.

My ratings:
Movie: 3.5 out of 5.0
Video: 4.5 out of 5.0
Audio: 4.5 out of 5.0
Extras: 0 out of 5.0
Overall: 4.25 out of 5.0 (Lack of extras brought the overall score down)

Screenshots posted by 'Raul07'.

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware modified for Region Free & with 'BDP-83-48-1224' firmware)
PS3 (Region A with firmware 'v3.15')

Suggestions for producers and authorers of Indian BDs:
1. The default audio track must always be the 'lossless' track, which in this case would be the 'DTS-HD MA 5.1' track. (Mr. Chandna has assured me that in future this will be apllied to all BDs authored by 'Digital Entertainment').

2. The song menu, should always have a 'PLAY ALL' option. (Mr. Chandna has assured me that this feature too, if possible in their authoring software, will be implemented in all future titles from Digital Entertainment).

3. The movie should start automatically, instead of going to the 'Top Menu'. This is something Warner has been doing for a while now. Although I realize that this is a somewhat debatable issue, since some people might prefer it the other way. I personally feel that since, on a BD, the 'menu' can be brought up at any time and that too without interrupting the movie, it makes sense to straight away go to the movie, which is what most of us do anyhow.

Last edited:
Back