Review of 'Big Video' BD of 'Jodhaa Akbar'.

sanjay0864

BD: BIG Home Video
Authoring House: Digital Entertainment
Title: Jodhaa Akbar
Region Coding: A/B/C
Video: 2.35:1, HD 1080p 16:9, AVC 23.976Hz (Avg. bitrate 30Mbps. Peak bitrate 36Mbps)
Audio:
Hindi - Dolby Digital 5.1 (48khz 448 kbps) <-- Default track.
Hindi - DTS-HD MA 5.1 (48khz)
Subtitles: English

Special Features:
NONE

Special Mention:
No Watermark Logo, during songs or otherwise. <-- 'Yash Raj' please note.
No scrolling advertisements during songs. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.
No advertisements before or during the movie. <-- All Bollywood Video companies, please take note.

Review:
The video quality is quite dissapointing, with the picture looking washed out and dull. The colors are dull & drab as if they have faded. The contrast levels are poor and blacks look like dark grey. All this specially stands out when compared to the 'Bodega' BD, which has a beautifuly vibrant and colorful picture.

The audio on this is downright dissapointing, specially when compared to the absolutely fantastic 'Bodega' BD. The surprising and almost shocking thing is that, I could barely make out any difference between the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 448kbps' & the 'DTS-HD MA 5.1' tracks. To me, it almost seems as if they have taken the lossy master and re-encoded it in 'DTS-HD MA'. Compared to the 'Bodega' BD audio, the audio here is comparitevely lifeless and the bass very boomy. Even the surround and channel speration on the 'Bodega' BD is far superior.

Maybe if I had not seen the 'Bodega' BD and more importantly, if I did not have it at hand, to do a side by side comparison, I may have found the 'BIG Home Video' BD slightly more acceptable. But given that I do have the 'Bodega' BD and I have seen it side by side with the 'BIG Home Video' BD, I can't but say, that this is not a very good BD. In conclusion, I suggest you rent this, instead of buying it. That is, not unless you are a big fan of the movie and you absolutely must have it, or the English subtitles are a must and/or you are limited to 'Region A', then and only then buy this 'BIG Home Video' BD. Otherwise, the Bodega version is worth every extra cent it might cost you. In any case, this 'BIG Home Video' BD is a definite and huge improvement over the absolutely crappy, non-anamorphic DVD release, which has been the only available option so far for people who need the English sub-titles.

My ratings:
Video: 3.5 out of 5.0 (Bodega BD - 4.5 out 5.0)
Audio: 3.25 out of 5.0 (Bodega BD - 5.0 out of 5.0)
Extras: 0 out of 5.0 (Bodega - 4.0 out of 5.0)
Overall: 3.25 out of 5.0 (Bodega BD - 4.5 out of 5.0) <-- Not an average.

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware modified for Region Free & with 'BDP-83-48-1224' firmware)
PS3 (Region A with firmware 'v3.15')

PS: 'Bodega' is a French company that has released a 'Jodhaa Akbar' BD, 'locked' to 'Region B', for the French market.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back