Review of Cambridge Audio 340C Azur CD Player

sachin_k5

Review of Cambridge Audio 340C Azur CD Player

Why CD Player ?
After collecting a disk load of MP3, losing a disk, rebuilding the collection again, i really asked myself if i want quality or quantity ? Do i really have a few hours a week to listen to a cd dedicatedly ?
The answer is obvious.

Purchase:
Was looking for the Marantz CD5004, this is one week before the CD Player was available in the group by. The marantz player has mp3 support and has headphone out both not significant for me. If the marantz was available earlier i would have bought it but no regrets since i am quite impressed by the CA.
First went to Viola in Andheri, to my surprise all they had were AVR and home theatres, no disc players !! Left my name and number, its been 3 weeks have not got their call.
A little ahead was 'The Shop', their equipment range was much better and I asked for a demo. They had Cambridge Audio 340C and Cambridge Audio 540C, paired it with a Denon PM 710 amp and Canton speakers. This combination was very good, the music was spell bounding. At one point i felt i was going into a meditation like state listening to Eagles. I can't recall the Canton speaker model but it was priced at 25,000

I liked the Cambridge audio 340C so much that I heard for some time and was convinced to book it. Ofcourse the 540C was better with noticable differences but I decided to save for a better amp (i have a norge 2030) than spend on a better CD Player. Dissappointingly, After a few minutes the sales man came back stating that the C340C priced at 17,500 is out of production and there is a new model with similar specs priced at 21,000. I didn't want to buy blindly without any demo so left my name and number asking him to call me when he gets the piece. Better give it a ear before buying. Next morning, i got a call saying one new 340C was available and he was ready to send it at Rs16,500. Since this was a out of production model i gave it some thought, finally gave in. I asked him to send the player.

Difference:
I was using a mass market Sony DVD player with a Norge 2030 and Norge Millenium BS. Being used to their 'desi' build quality, i was surprised when i felt the 340C. The heavy metal case, the brushed aluminium finish, heck..even the remote had a metal surface :licklips: This was in a different class i must say.
Check this out : the time you hit play on a open tray till the time the cd starts playing : 340C -> 05.16 secs, Sony DVD -> 16.53 secs. The whole theme around this player is quality.

Performance
Sonic differences between the DVD player and 340C are significant.
- Instrument Seperation, you can hear each instrument better
- Instruments earlier inaudible can be heard specially ones in background,
- Improved Sharpness in all vocals and instruments including drums
- Slight improvement in sound stage

Its a joy listening to my small CD collection. I am re-listening to all my stuff all over again. I was planning to bring this to the grandly successful Mumbai HIFI meet but could not make it due to other appointments, hopefully next time. :licklips:

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Nicely written. Great review. Some sillly questions
1. Is there really considerable difference, asking since i also want to upgrade to a stereo set up in a short while.
2. Also does it support Mp3 like marantz? and what was main differences in price and quality with the 540 one?
3. Did u try paring with some cambridge audio stereo amp to test in the shop?

1. Is there really considerable difference, asking since i also want to upgrade to a stereo set up in a short while.
2. Also does it support Mp3 like marantz? and what was main differences in price and quality with the 540 one?

It does not support MP3. CD player is always superior to that of DVD player. It is better to wait and watch as the prices of majority AV equipment increased / is on the verge of increase due to slump in European market and weakned rupee against dollar.

1. Is there really considerable difference, asking since i also want to upgrade to a stereo set up in a short while. Yes, not just the audio quality but also the build. The sony dvdp looks like a cheap chinese toy compared to the CA.
2. Also does it support Mp3 like marantz? and what was main differences in price and quality with the 540 one? It does not support MP3, if you need mp3 go for the Marantz, the group buy is a good offer. The 540 has a better DAC. The differences were audible mainly on instrument seperation. If you have the budget go for 540. I am still setting up my stereo system so wanted to save for CDs and better amp.
3. Did u try paring with some cambridge audio stereo amp to test in the shop? yes the it was paired with a denon pm710 amp. I am not into 5.1/7.1 at all so no AVRs for me. My humble norge 2030 beats the crap out of a sony avr in stereo.

Last edited:
It is an excellent player and I have one in black and paired it with NAD 355BEE and Mission M32i speakers. As you said, the start up is very quick and a solid build. Lovely player. I like it. Good luck on yours. Enjoy listening!

Swami

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back