Review/Suggestions regarding Denon AVC 3800

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

I have come across a very irresistible offer of a 5.1 AV receiver from Denon called Denon AVC 3800. It has power rating of 5x110w.
The price quoted for the AVR+two custom made peerless Bookshelf speakers+230 to 110V transformer (It was bought in the US) is 10k INR. The unit was bought at 97.
The price instantly is making me go for this AVR but when I tried to do some R&D over the internet I couldn't find much useful reviews about this product. Now, I am totally confused and looking up to you guys for any suggestions. In case someone has used/heard this amp then please guide me through. Should I go for it or not?

Cheers!
Vivek
:cool:

The 'Denon AVC-3800' most certainly decodes Dolby Digital 5.1. What it does not decode is DTS. Therefore as long as your viewing is limited to DVDs, Dolby Digital should more than suffice. Infact you won't find too many options on DVD with DTS anyhow. The 'Denon AVC-3800' was not only a good receiver, but it was Best in it's class when it came out.

Thanks all for you inputs.
I am planning to use this amp as a stereo amplifier only as I am more of a Music guy rather than a movie guy and I like watching movies on my laptop only.
I am concerned about the stereo sound amplification part of this AVR. Anyone who have heard it in stereo mode?

Thanks all for you inputs.
I am planning to use this amp as a stereo amplifier only as I am more of a Music guy rather than a movie guy and I like watching movies on my laptop only.
I am concerned about the stereo sound amplification part of this AVR. Anyone who have heard it in stereo mode?
I am sure the Denon AVR-3800 should serve you well as a stereo amplifier.

You know what? I auditioned this Denon AVR this Saturday in Mumbai. But, somehow I didn't liked the sound from this amp. The sound was bass centric and the highs were overpowering. The mids were not much prominent and sounded somewhat muddy.
The sources I tried was a JVC DVD player and my iPod and the speakers used were some custom made with peerless drivers. I listened only in Stereo mode.
Though the system sounded better than the consumer music system but It was not to my liking.
Finally, I made up my mind that even if I get an AVR real cheap I will not get tempted and not delve into it as the stereo music reproduction is not up to the mark by these AVRs. I am now going to go into Stereo Integrated amplifier path only and very much open to used quality products. Anyone selling a Norge, Marantz, NAD, CA there?

hi, here the amp may not be the problem. may be the speakers.
because the 38xx are good in terms of their sonic goodness. i auditioned the 3805 and found the sound is not that much bad.this is just my opinion.

That may be the case. The sound was good in terms of low and high frequencies but the midrange failed to impress me. May be it's just me :cool:
Anyways, I think the analogue controls of an integrated stereo amplifier are much better than the complicated digital ones of an AVR.

You know what? I auditioned this Denon AVR this Saturday in Mumbai. But, somehow I didn't liked the sound from this amp. The sound was bass centric and the highs were overpowering. The mids were not much prominent and sounded somewhat muddy.
The sources I tried was a JVC DVD player and my iPod and the speakers used were some custom made with peerless drivers. I listened only in Stereo mode.
Though the system sounded better than the consumer music system but It was not to my liking.?

I think you have been unfair to the Denon. The quality of source and the speakers are questionable. Caught in between, the poor map can only do so much.

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back