Reviving Sony Hifi MHC-BX3/DX3 with Sony SS-DX3 Speakers Running Rpi3b+

tech33

Hi All,

I have very old Sony Hifi MHC-BX3/DX3 with Sony SS-DX3 Speakers which I absolutely adore <3

HeadUnit ( MHC-BX3/DX3 ) is connected with Rpi3b+ via 3.5 to RCA in its MD Mode.
For music streaming, I am using Volumio with Tidal ( Lossless ) and Spotify.

I am wondering and confused on following :-

1) Should buy Portable DACs like Helm Bolt DAC/AMP or DragonFly Red or I should consider buying Zen Dac or Toppings D10.
2) Should I buy an amplifier instead of DAC ( please suggest any suitable vfm option).

Below are the Specs of the Speakers :-
Sony Speakers (150 watts RMS (75 watts per speaker), 6 ohms)
Speaker system : 2-way, bass-reflex type
Woofer : 5" , cone type
Tweeter : 3.5 ", cone type
Nominal impedance : 6 ohms
Dimensions (w/h/d) : Approx. 215 x 325 x 275 mm
Mass : Approx. 4 kg net per speaker

I so much love its Speakers, I wish to revive it to its full potential.

Regards
Tech33

The 3.5mm aux output from rpi is a big NO.. it spoils the music all the way... better you use any USB DAC like Topping or Schiit Modi..Other option here is, you can use a DAC Hat like Allo BOSS v1.2 on top of your rpi 3B+, you will be fine.

If the amp section of Sony is still working fine, you don't need to search for any amp. Just fix the DAC portion, it will be fine.

The 3.5mm aux output from rpi is a big NO.. it spoils the music all the way... better you use any USB DAC like Topping or Schiit Modi..Other option here is, you can use a DAC Hat like Allo BOSS v1.2 on top of your rpi 3B+, you will be fine.

If the amp section of Sony is still working fine, you don't need to search for any amp. Just fix the DAC portion, it will be fine.

Thank you for such a prompt reply and valuable suggestion, are you referring to this allo-boss-dac ( https://www.fabtolab.com/allo-boss-dac-v-1.2) costing around 3K? Do I need to use RCA to RCA to connect with my SONY Amp? Sorry, for noobish question.

Regards
Tech33

In fact I too bought the same items from FabtoLab except the extra standmount, still one set was extra. I have suggested the BOSS v1.2 becuase, you already have a RPi 3B+. There is a newer version of BOSS available, its called BOSS2 but it seems work only with RPi4.

Onething which is important is the power you are feeding to the DAC, if its from a clean source the sound will also be clean with tight bass and details. Allo have linear power supply Shanti, heard its very good but at a higher cost. They also have ultra low noise smps based power supply Nirvana, heard good reviews. I haven't tried any of these, so can't comment on them. But if you are interested, you can check those options as well.

In fact I too bought the same items from FabtoLab except the extra standmount, still one set was extra. I have suggested the BOSS v1.2 becuase, you already have a RPi 3B+. There is a newer version of BOSS available, its called BOSS2 but it seems work only with RPi4.

Onething which is important is the power you are feeding to the DAC, if its from a clean source the sound will also be clean with tight bass and details. Allo have linear power supply Shanti, heard its very good but at a higher cost. They also have ultra low noise smps based power supply Nirvana, heard good reviews. I haven't tried any of these, so can't comment on them. But if you are interested, you can check those options as well.

Yes, thank you...I am thinking to power it up with PowerBank not sure if its considered clean source. :rolleyes:

@premoddev : Just want to thank you for your suggestion and prompt reply. Finally !! I am able to revive my Music System, it sound Incredibly good <3....attaching pic of setup....Now I am in hunt for some kind of Remote either for RPI3b+ with Boss DAC or my old Sony System :confused:

Attachments

• Allo BOSS with Rpi.jpeg
    Allo BOSS with Rpi.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 18
Wow nice.. Good to hear you got your music system back !!... how are you powering player now? I am also using the same RCA from Allo ;)..
I am not aware of any remote setup for Rpi to use with the players, but you can use some apps to control from your phones. I am using an android app MALP, which is not so great but can be used to control volume and change tracks etc.

Wow nice.. Good to hear you got your music system back !!... how are you powering player now? I am also using the same RCA from Allo ;)..
I am not aware of any remote setup for Rpi to use with the players, but you can use some apps to control from your phones. I am using an android app MALP, which is not so great but can be used to control volume and change tracks etc.

Hey bro,
As of now I am using low power adapter but there’s definitely small hiss at very high volume. Will consider Shanti after a while.
I am using Volumio and its Android App and so far loving it. However, looking for some dedicated remote...
For Music I am using Tidal Lossless also coping my Flac Collection to RPI 32GB SD Card....so far good..

Once again Thank you for helping out :)

Regards
Tech33

Hey bro,
As of now I am using low power adapter but there’s definitely small hiss at very high volume. Will consider Shanti after a while.
I am using Volumio and its Android App and so far loving it. However, looking for some dedicated remote...
For Music I am using Tidal Lossless also coping my Flac Collection to RPI 32GB SD Card....so far good..

Once again Thank you for helping out :)

Regards
Tech33
Okay, I thought you are using power bank.. that's why asked. I too using some mobile charger, so just wanted to know how the powerbank behaves.
You can completely bypass volume control in the Volumio and do it in the amp, that's have some effect in sound quality in my experience. Btw I am using MoodeAudio not Volumio, I like Moode over Volumio. You can always play with it

The power you give the DAC is vital; if it comes from a clean source, the sound will be clean as well, with tight bass and details. Shanti, Allo has a linear power supply that is said to be very good but comes at a premium price. They also offer the Nirvana super low noise smps based power supply, which has received positive feedback. I haven't tested any of these and hence cannot comment. However, if you're interested, you can look into those possibilities as well.
Source: Concept Kart

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back