Right AV receiver for Sony Shake 6D Speakers

adikumar2010

I have Sony Shake 6D :
Specifications
User Manual

Problem is that the AV Receiver is busted and can't be repaired by Sony, now I wanted to build a custom home theater setup 5.2 or 7.2
But I am not sure which AV receiver are their in the market which will work with those speakers as they are very high power rated.

My plan is to use these existing speaker as front left/right channel and it has 2 sub-woofer already in the unit also.

Please suggest a suitable AV receiver under $1000 which can power these speakers.

Also please let me know what center and rear channel speaker would be fine with those Sony 6D speakers under $800 for all the remaining speakers

Specs of 6D speakers :
1.png

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Your biggest obstacle with these speakers if their 4Ohm impedance. Not many modern receivers are designed to go that low Nominally. They are usually rated for 6-16Ohms.

MaSh

These speakers are very powerful I just don't want to throw them into the bin coz they do give sick music output. Problem is I can't find any AV Receiver with 4 Ohm impedance. These speakers will work as front channel and sub-woofer for home theater so I don't need to spend money on buying those speakers & sub separately.

Also in the spec sheet it says 2400 watts, but what's the actual RMS is it 2400W or 1400W? as I don't know what rated and reference means

What if I run these speakers with a 6 Ohm AV Receiver? and not blast to full volumes

You could face heating issues on the amp due to being over driven.

These speakers are very powerful I just don't want to throw them into the bin coz they do give sick music output. Problem is I can't find any AV Receiver with 4 Ohm impedance. These speakers will work as front channel and sub-woofer for home theater so I don't need to spend money on buying those speakers & sub separately.

Also in the spec sheet it says 2400 watts, but what's the actual RMS is it 2400W or 1400W? as I don't know what rated and reference means

Why are you looking for an AV receiver for these speakers? Why not a Stereo Amp? It would be easier to find a Stereo amp rated at 4 ohms than an AV receiver. The specs mentioned by Sony are skewed. A stereo amp rated to give out 100w at 8ohms with 4ohm capability should be able to drive these speakers easily in my opinion.

You could even try out DIY amps from @shaan or @Aniket.

MaSh

You could face heating issues on the amp due to being over driven.

Why are you looking for an AV receiver for these speakers? Why not a Stereo Amp? It would be easier to find a Stereo amp rated at 4 ohms than an AV receiver. The specs mentioned by Sony are skewed. A stereo amp rated to give out 100w at 8ohms with 4ohm capability should be able to drive these speakers easily in my opinion.

You could even try out DIY amps from @shaan or @Aniket.

MaSh

I am looking to use these speakers for 5.2 or 7.2 home theater setup for movies and gaming etc.

I am not sure if they are 1400W or 2400W RMS total as written in spec sheet. Problem is if I can't know the exact RMS then how will I be able to buy the right amplifier to power them !!

Also these speaker should suffice as front channel and 2 sub-woofer as they have separate cable for both inputs. But the problem could be that I might need really humongous rear/center channel speakers also to match them but what if I tweak the power output settings in the amplifier to make these Sony speakers run at lower power/decibels then rest of the center/rear speakers so they don't over power the remaining center/rear speakers.

I want to use them as front channel and sub-woofer as it will save me lot of money rather then spending money in buying separate front channel and sub-woofer for a new home theater setup.

download.jpg

I am looking to use these speakers for 5.2 or 7.2 home theater setup for movies and gaming etc.

I am not sure if they are 1400W or 2400W RMS total as written in spec sheet. Problem is if I can't know the exact RMS then how will I be able to buy the right amplifier to power them !!

Also these speaker should suffice as front channel and 2 sub-woofer as they have separate cable for both inputs. But the problem could be that I might need really humongous rear/center channel speakers also to match them but what if I tweak the power output settings in the amplifier to make these Sony speakers run at lower power/decibels then rest of the center/rear speakers so they don't over power the remaining center/rear speakers.

I want to use them as front channel and sub-woofer as it will save me lot of money rather then spending money in buying separate front channel and sub-woofer for a new home theater setup.

As said the spec is skewed. The actual wattage, in my opinion, is not more than 100w at 8Ohm approx. If you want to use in an HT setup, get a receiver with front Pre Out and connect a power amp from Crown or Emotiva or even a NAD in power amp mode. Rest of the speakers can be driven from the receiver directly.

MaSh

As said the spec is skewed. The actual wattage, in my opinion, is not more than 100w at 8Ohm approx. If you want to use in an HT setup, get a receiver with front Pre Out and connect a power amp from Crown or Emotiva or even a NAD in power amp mode. Rest of the speakers can be driven from the receiver directly.

MaSh

Also these are the wires and back side of console :

Blue one has 4 wires and is for sub-woofer only.
Medium White one has 2 wires and is for woofer/tweeter
Tiny white one is for LED which is just for lights

Also I don't understand how will I connect 4 sub-woofer wires to the new AV receiver or amp? I thought all sub only had 2 wires

DhTR0mx.jpg

2.png

3.png

Also these are the wires and back side of console :

Blue one has 4 wires and is for sub-woofer only.
Medium White one has 2 wires and is for woofer/tweeter
Tiny white one is for LED which is just for lights

Also I don't understand how will I connect 4 sub-woofer wires to the new AV receiver or amp? I thought all sub only had 2 wires

Blue is for the sub and the midbass. The white one for the Tweeter. Led if you need you will have to work on that separately for its power and driver, maybe do some DIY with a VU meter board.

For speaker wires, you will have to splice them for sure. The White one is for the Tweeter and the Midrange with probably a crossover built into the speaker. These would easy to connect. The issue is with the Subwoofer connector. I am not sure why there are 4. Maybe it's a common connector, the higher versions of the Shake series has another driver. Try getting hold of a Stereo amp and hook the wires one by one and label them. You can look at certain Onkyo or Yamaha receivers which came with Passive Sub out. Those might work with these speakers as the Subwoofer I guess has the crossover in the main unit.

It is not very straight forward, but doable. You will need to experiment a bit.

MaSh

If I buy a 5.2 or 7.2 AVR with (2 Line Out/Pre-Out Sub Woofer) then do I need to add another amplifier to drive the sub-woofer unit of my Sony Shake 6D speakers?

81V8IXyiKtL._SL1500_.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And even if I buy a Home-Theater-In-A-Box for movies & games separately.

Is there any way I can use these left over Sony speakers, coz I really like them for music?

Last edited:
I have Sony Shake 6D :
Specifications
User Manual

Problem is that the AV Receiver is busted and can't be repaired by Sony, now I wanted to build a custom home theater setup 5.2 or 7.2
But I am not sure which AV receiver are their in the market which will work with those speakers as they are very high power rated.

My plan is to use these existing speaker as front left/right channel and it has 2 sub-woofer already in the unit also.

Please suggest a suitable AV receiver under $1000 which can power these speakers.

Also please let me know what center and rear channel speaker would be fine with those Sony 6D speakers under $800 for all the remaining speakers

Specs of 6D speakers :

Hi

The latest AVRs in the market are designed to handle 4 ohms speakers....some users have complained of the AVRs heating too fast due to poor ventilation etc etc.

If you check some You Tube Videos, you will find that when you connect two speakers of 4 ohms each in series, the result will be 8 ohms...there are many calculators available to assist you....

I do understand these are great speakers and you have got already used to them and hence want them used to full potential. You need to understand that if there are different connectors for speakers, this means that there were different amps built in the main unit to handle the tweeters, the woofers and the subwoofer speakers specifically and thats how you were able to get awesome sound and punch....I seen a couple of YouTube videos and is impressed.

DIY amps will be able to handle such speakers but you will need to get a good AVR which has enough power to handle such loads.

Coming to your speakers.....the Tweeters and Mids are 4 ohms and the Woofers are 4 ohms.....the Lighter colored wire is always RED (positive) and Darker wire is Negative. Please check the owners manual to be sure.....

From the photo....looking at the speaker connectors...it seems that only the Horn tweeters form part of the connector.

The other connector has 4 wires which indicate that the woofer and subwoofer are on the same connector.

Please note that with a new AVR....the LED lights will not work......

Onkyo like other AVRs is known to handle 4 ohms speakers....many other brands have also introduced this capability.

Now if you connect all these wires per speaker cabinet into series, you will get some impedance which then will help you decide the AVR....please note that in order to make these speakers work as a Floorstanding or Tower speaker, each driver...tweeter, woofer and subwoofer need to be connected appropriately. The end product should be only one wire with positive and negative going to the AVR.....

The other way out is to get a nice stereo amp with high current to handle these speakers and the 4 ohms load.....

You may also need to research DNM Audio or Telome Audio who make Multi Zone stereo amps......which support 4 - 8 ohms speakers...here then you can connect the tweeters the woofers and even the subwoofers separately as L + R and control the volume of each.....the only issue is the amps are all analog

Bottomline before connecting ....if you can open the speaker cabinet carefully, you will be in a much more better position to understand the wiring inside for each of the drivers and also check if there is really a crossover inside......

If I buy a 5.2 or 7.2 AVR with (2 Line Out/Pre-Out Sub Woofer) then do I need to add another amplifier to drive the sub-woofer unit of my Sony Shake 6D speakers?

And even if I buy a Home-Theater-In-A-Box for movies & games separately.

Is there any way I can use these left over Sony speakers, coz I really like them for music?

The speakers need amps. So yes a receiver with Pre Out will have to be connected to another amplifier to drive the subwoofer section. The receiver pic posted, seems capable to drive 4-ohm speakers. If you are planning to get this and a power amp then yes you can use your Sony Speakers. You will have 3 pairs(1 from white and 2 from blue) of speaker wires for each speaker. From the blue socket, you will need to find out which one is for the Subwoofer and connect that to the power amp. The White and the left over from blue would be connected to the speaker terminal of the receiver.

You could visit the Sony Service center and get the wire details as they would have the service manual of this unit.

MaSh

I tried to open the speaker but its too tight and I was damaging trying to force open. What I will do is post image of the inside of the AV receiver when I get it back from Sony service center maybe then you could tell me if amplifier is built-in the speaker or AVR and also where the cross-over is located.

There are 4 wires coming out from the sub but they are joining into 2 connectors ultimately, so it might be possible that they have just split the wires into 2 each for positive and negative terminal rather then using a thicker wire.

In the manual it says blue connector with 4 wires is for sub-woofer only and big white connector with 2 wires is for woofer+tweeter combined

What do you think?

Also do you know the reason behind "Protect E03" error on the AVR even without speaker connected, now service center technician said that it is fault in the motherboard and they don't have replacement mobo for it. Also they said they can't do component level repair to make it work.

BqHxOYq.jpg

fds4tA4.jpg

Looks like a complicated job !

But the NR 1501 seems to be a perfect AVR for this job..
With external Amps to be attached for both the Front Speakers & the 2 Subs (maybe a Crown XLS 1502 can drive both the Subs?)

I tried to open the speaker but its too tight and I was damaging trying to force open. What I will do is post image of the inside of the AV receiver when I get it back from Sony service center maybe then you could tell me if amplifier is built-in the speaker or AVR and also where the cross-over is located.

There are 4 wires coming out from the sub but they are joining into 2 connectors ultimately, so it might be possible that they have just split the wires into 2 each for positive and negative terminal rather then using a thicker wire.

In the manual it says blue connector with 4 wires is for sub-woofer only and big white connector with 2 wires is for woofer+tweeter combined

What do you think?

Also do you know the reason behind "Protect E03" error on the AVR even without speaker connected, now service center technician said that it is fault in the motherboard and they don't have replacement mobo for it. Also they said they can't do component level repair to make it work.

There are no amps in the speaker for sure. Don't try opening the speaker, it won't.

MaSh

What do you think?

Here is the Service Manual....

I have Sony Shake 6D :
Specifications
User Manual

Check crown amplifiers ..They have many models to drive 4@ ohm speakers.

I would recommend , carry your speaker and test with dealer to check its working fine. I had some sony speakers in the past and i wanted to drive with different amplifier -- but was not sounding right . It works well only with sony amp.

It's little complicated to setup 5.1/7.1 with these speakers...to make it work right you will be ended up in spending more money :) .Even If the above combo works fine , you also need to check for correct center speaker to match your LR sony speakers.

Not sure your sony sub is powered sub , if not ... you need to purchase another amp to drive sony sub.

Try selling off the speaker and go for new one. Or you may use these speakers for music setup with crown or other amplifiers in another room.

Check crown amplifiers ..They have many models to drive 4@ ohm speakers.

I would recommend , carry your speaker and test with dealer to check its working fine. I had some sony speakers in the past and i wanted to drive with different amplifier -- but was not sounding right . It works well only with sony amp.

It's little complicated to setup 5.1/7.1 with these speakers...to make it work right you will be ended up in spending more money :) .Even If the above combo works fine , you also need to check for correct center speaker to match your LR sony speakers.

Not sure your sony sub is powered sub , if not ... you need to purchase another amp to drive sony sub.

Try selling off the speaker and go for new one. Or you may use these speakers for music setup with crown or other amplifiers in another room.

Who will buy these speakers without the console/AVR if they themselves can't find a way to use it :mad:
I paid $800 but Sony F***ked me up

Who will buy these speakers without the console/AVR if they themselves can't find a way to use it :mad:
I paid $800 but Sony F***ked me up

Did you not understand what you mean? These speakers can easily be used in a stereo setup, for which Sony designed them. The way they are setup originally is nothing but Biamped. Many stereo amps have speaker A and B output which can be used for these speakers. My current speakers are being used with different amps in Biamp mode.

What did Sony do? I think they made a great setup, I wish you were in Bangalore, would have loved to hear these speakers with proper amps.

MaSh

Did you not understand what you mean? These speakers can easily be used in a stereo setup, for which Sony designed them. The way they are setup originally is nothing but Biamped. Many stereo amps have speaker A and B output which can be used for these speakers. My current speakers are being used with different amps in Biamp mode.

What did Sony do? I think they made a great setup, I wish you were in Bangalore, would have loved to hear these speakers with proper amps.

MaSh

Sony rejected to repair the motherboard that's why it's causing too much chaos now.

Can you please give me few links or model name of correct amplifier for them and how many amps would I need !

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back