RME ADI 2 DAC Users Thread.

Mayank Shah

Quite a few Rme Adi 2 dac users here, so thought of creating a separate thread ( if it's ok with mods). Let us share our experiences, setup components, nitty gritty, any hidden settings discovered (it already has loads of options), Remote programming etc etc. Thanks. Hoping to hear from you all. I have barely used it for a few hours, hence wouldn't be able to mention purposeful information yet.

The first thing which hit me was the channel separation. Could hear many instruments separated nicely and the drift from channel to channel. Have a very sibilant flac recording of a favourite album, other gear with tone controls, muffles the highs rather than reducing it's intensity, but the Rme did a fine job of controlling it. Clarity was very good and bass had more heft and slam. The XLR out from Rme into monoblocks made a considerable difference as well.

Works wonderfully as a pre amp and very nice little remote.

Related equipment used.....Rega Elicit R & Nuprime STA9 as monoblocks. Tannoy XT8F and Dynaudio M20 speakers. SVS Soundpath RCA, Mogami 3103 speaker cables. Cheers.

Ohh ok,
Since you wrote in first post assumed it's still in the chain

If possible try to have a tube pre or a tube buffer in the chain.
Nuprime, RME and tannoy are very clean and revealing.
A little bit of warmth would balance our the sound very well . Will get the body in the mids , as well as good clean highs .

This is just my personal opinion without hearing the setup. So I may stand corrected

Yes, this DAC has both, and yet to explore other features. Don't know about other Dac's.
I wanted to sell it at that time as I wanted to go in for an all in one device due to foreseeable space constraints which thankfully didn't happen.
Many other reasons to keep it as well - Sounded better to me with the Nuprimes - not dealing with low ballers.

RME makes nice products, I don't have this DAC but I have used their AES card for years with results suitable to my liking for it's intended purpose. There are many dedicated DSP systems which will offer comprehensive PEQ and other adjustments, far far more than the RME which is not intended as a dedicated DSP system but rather offers limited PEQ as an additional feature, at least that is how I understand it based on it's webpage since its primary purpose appears to be a DA converter. I personally don't believe in the need for variable loudness control but I guess it might prove useful for some. If I'm not mistaken JRiver offers this?

RME makes nice products, I don't have this DAC but I have used their AES card for years with results suitable to my liking for it's intended purpose. There are many dedicated DSP systems which will offer comprehensive PEQ and other adjustments, far far more than the RME which is not intended as a dedicated DSP system but rather offers limited PEQ as an additional feature, at least that is how I understand it based on it's webpage since its primary purpose appears to be a DA converter. I personally don't believe in the need for variable loudness control but I guess it might prove useful for some. If I'm not mistaken JRiver offers this?
After using variable loudness I cannot listen to my system without it.
I experienced it using my laptop.. With software Apo equaliser.
Thought of getting jriver.
I also have a lot of Blu-ray CDs want to use my Blu-ray player.
Do you know any other option ?

Sorry, I don't know of any equipment that provides this as I mostly use and read about professional audio equipment, not home audio. My system is all pro and does not use a receiver or pre/pro. I highly recommend JRiver though if you can use a PC source. I think it has the variable loudness feature built in as I vaguely remember reading it somewhere. I just did a quick google search and investigated JRiver options, here you go -

I use a PC source so JRiver has worked very well for me together with the RME card. I do not use the Loudness feature in JRiver so I can not comment on it.

Has any RME ADI-2 FS user here tried the Chord Qutest. If so, how do they compare? Im using the ADI 2 FS myself.

Yes, i saw those on Youtube. Just wanted to know first hand from someone on the forum. I wanted to try out the Qutest too.

Has any RME ADI-2 FS user here tried the Chord Qutest. If so, how do they compare? Im using the ADI 2 FS myself.
I think the Chord edges the RME but barely in pure sonic abilities. The RME though is a no brainer if you need the added features.
Very important disclaimer: I have not heard the two in my setup, my brother has the Qutest and I have the RME. I have heard the Qutest in his setup for considerable hours so can vouch for its quality. Since this still is not an apple to apple comparison, make of it what you will!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back