Room Treatment alongwith Interior work?

Mayank Shah

I am planning to get some interior work done in my living room, where my stereo setup is. Wondering if some kind of basic room treatment can be done along with the interior work. I do not want to add panels and other pieces later. Idea is to get the room treatment gel with the interiors.

I am planning to get some interior work done in my living room, where my stereo setup is. Wondering if some kind of basic room treatment can be done along with the interior work. I do not want to add panels and other pieces later. Idea is to get the room treatment gel with the interiors.
Are you planning on doing any "room reshaping", adding a false ceiling or allowing for concealed wiring or something ? BBA or diffusion or membrane traps and the like should be beyond the average interior design type**. And in any case largely pointless without measurement (don't ask) and some careful figuring out.

I'd suggest doing that,- define goals, identity issues and figure out your approach ie what treatment how much and where - first.

It is of course useful to plan ahead and arrange for easy mounting points or color coordination without having to bang holes in freshly surfaced walls.

Overall, the idea should be to get the room treatment *to meet my SQ goals" that will gel with the interiors.

Ciao
GR

** Beyond the chestnut templated memorized solutions : padded sofa, carpet, rug bookcase potted plant. The generalized apparently applies everywhere stuff.which people will trot out, without seeing if it meets your requirements or considering the need to evaluate if it is sufficient or useful type "solutions"

Last edited:
Wondering if some kind of basic room treatment can be done along with the interior work.

If you have already identified the issue in the room. then you plan and try to club it along with room interiors..

@sound_cycle has provided inputs. I would also suggest the same route to identify the issue and approach solution..

To begin-with, start with your room dimensions in feet, keyed into room mode calculator (excel file) to identify the resonant room freq.. The measurements also would reveal the same.. But the excel file is approximation to get started..

Link for room mode calculator - https://www.harman.com/room-mode-calculator

Assuming your stereo set-up is integrated amplifier + speakers, you will need more broadband absorption (BBA) in the room to contain the room resonance..

Finally stepped into the world of nulls and peaks, many thanks to Fm @elangoas for lending the Umik 1 mic. I had initially bungled up on the mic settings, later realized and rectified. The measurements were not done in a real proper way, but rather out of curiosity and there was quite a bit of background noise as well. Hope to do proper measurements again soon. Initial impressions are that there seems to be an imbalance in the channels and few peaks between 30 and 150 Hz. Dont really understand that dip at 25 Hz. Attaching 3 fullscale graphs and a pic of my setup. First one is with both channels. Next measurements would be with proper placement, accurate mic position etc., Will try changing the speaker distance and with spikes. Rack is DIY. (Not a real nice pic - will post later)

My Setup.jpeg

Side view.jpeg

(Below the TT is a sliding shelf for the laptop. Bottom shelf is has my NAD 356 amp, which is not hooked up, and the shelf is adjustable/removable for a bigger power amp or something. Drawer at ground level has the stabilzer, UPS and power strip).

Both.jpegLeft.jpegRight.jpeg

Glad you were able to do the first measurement.. Cheers..

Initial impressions are that there seems to be an imbalance in the channels and few peaks between 30 and 150 Hz.

Resize the combined response graph between 20Hz - 300Hz.. So you can zoom in to the issue and plan the action accordingly..

Don't really understand that dip at 25 Hz.

Don't think you need to worry abt that, as stereo content wouldn't reach 25Hz?

You have much work to do in 20 - 300 Hz.. I recollect you saying that your pre-amp has Parametric EQ, you may need to action on that and see how much that improves..

Are you planning on doing any "room reshaping", adding a false ceiling or allowing for concealed wiring or something ? BBA or diffusion or membrane traps and the like should be beyond the average interior design type**. And in any case largely pointless without measurement (don't ask) and some careful figuring out.

I'd suggest doing that,- define goals, identity issues and figure out your approach ie what treatment how much and where - first.

It is of course useful to plan ahead and arrange for easy mounting points or color coordination without having to bang holes in freshly surfaced walls.

Overall, the idea should be to get the room treatment *to meet my SQ goals" that will gel with the interiors.

Ciao
GR

** Beyond the chestnut templated memorized solutions : padded sofa, carpet, rug bookcase potted plant. The generalized apparently applies everywhere stuff.which people will trot out, without seeing if it meets your requirements or considering the need to evaluate if it is sufficient or useful type "solutions"
No room shaping. Probably false ceiling - someone suggested "Gyproc" false ceilings with some kind of paneling inside the false ceiling. Yet to check it out. Haven't really delved into the BBA / diffusers /absorbers/membranes yet. Overall I couldn't be happier with the SQ as is, but will certainly look into some form of room correction in the near future. Have to take measurements again in a much better way first.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back