RPi 4B and DAC Hat

I have a general query/doubt.
Practically speaking, how may subscriptions (free or paid) does one really need?
I have a hard time keeping up with Spotify, Amazon, Gaana and USB attached HDD.

Cheers,
Raghu
Depends on the quality and type of music you want to listen to.

Spotify is good for English music and reasonable quality.
Amazon is reasonable for English music and does have some Indian music. Quality is reasonable but not exceptional.
Gaana has nearly all the Indian music you may ever want to listen. Quality is max 320kbps MP3.
To add to your confusion, if you have a Jio SIM, you can use Jio/Saavan that also has a good collection. Again quality is 320kbps MP3 max.

What I have done is the following.

(1) For my own listening, I have restricted the music to files from my HDD. The configuration is (1) Allo+Class D+Bookshelves. (2) Allo+Class AB+Floor Standing speakers.
(2) I have a set of Active speakers that is kept in the dining hall. This is used by my wife, and she predominantly uses Youtube, Amazon, and Gaana. Sometime when we are having lunch or dinner I listen to old Tamil and Hindi film music through this system. The sound is passable. The same choice sounds horrible and flat on any of the configuration in (1).

I have essentially used streaming for ease of use and quick listening with the active speakers.

These days, it is mostly HDD for me. I do use Spotify to discover new English/International music.
Gaana for Kannada/Hindi. Amazon-music, for some reason gets to my ears.

My query was based on folks juggling between Spotify/Amazon/Tidal/Qobuz/etc
I am impressed by the amount of patience folks have.

Cheers,
Raghu

Dear forum members ...I need one suggestion..I have a Yamaha yht 2910..I wish to add one online streamer to my system .. I have a RPI 3 lying around ..should I buy Allo boss 1.2 dac with isolator..how would it sound in a 5.1 system. I have speakers supplied with the yht . In future I wish to upgrade to bookshelves.
I also have allo signature in my mind but it would cost around 16 k .
Please suggest..

Are you enjoying the music through yht? If so why can't use a streamer. Go ahead and add streamer into the chain. Allo BOSS is a nice DAC hat for the price, there is a recent review of the same in the forum.

There is a BOSS DAC for sale, in case if you are fine with it.

Since I have added allo boss as streamer to my Yamaha yht 299. I am now feeling I should upgrade my speakers. I have two options in my mind.
1. Yamaha htr 3066 and add good floorstanders or bookshelf speakers
2. Allo boss + allo volt D+ and good bookshelf or floorstanders.
Suggestions are highly welcome...

Congrats for your new addition..

If you want to separate music and movie watching, then should go for the second option. You can use Volt+D or any other integrated amplifier with descent book shelf or floor standing speakers will work great for music.

But if you want to use it for dual duty, then go with AVR + bookshelf or floor standing to start with..

Congrats for your new addition..

If you want to separate music and movie watching, then should go for the second option. You can use Volt+D or any other integrated amplifier with descent book shelf or floor standing speakers will work great for music.

But if you want to use it for dual duty, then go with AVR + bookshelf or floor standing to start with..
You are correct.. as of now i will stick to my AVR i.e Yamaha HTR 3066,, any good floorstanders in budget to go with HTR 3066.. I have read reviews that even some good bookshelf are very good sounding.. like Wharfedale or ELac.

.my budget for speakers is 30-35k

I am using rpi 4b 4gb with metrum ambre. Stock ambre has rpi3b+/custom ropieee. Now, I am running gentooplayer & audiolinux on rpi4b. I have installed few heatsinks on rpi4b as it gets very hot.

You are correct.. as of now i will stick to my AVR i.e Yamaha HTR 3066,, any good floorstanders in budget to go with HTR 3066.. I have read reviews that even some good bookshelf are very good sounding.. like Wharfedale or ELac.

.my budget for speakers is 30-35k
I am not sure about the matching speaker for Yamaha AVR... there are dedicated thread for Yamaha in the forum, you can ask this question there and you will get attention from the experts.

I am using rpi 4b 4gb with metrum ambre. Stock ambre has rpi3b+/custom ropieee. Now, I am running gentooplayer & audiolinux on rpi4b. I have installed few heatsinks on rpi4b as it gets very hot.
Hello Lithiumnk,

Is your blue led steady, or does it keep blinking with gentooplayer ?
Best regards,
Pat

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back