Rug under a bottom ported subwoofer

Vj@HiFi

First the sub was on its own (little) feet, but the sound 'pressure' was not there. The subs volume needed to be at max to really 'feel' anything.

A friend suggested placing a thick rug under sub woofer still no real improvement. Then later we raised the sub on small wooden blocks and further thickened the padding below, now we could reduce the volume on the sub to about 3 o'clock position.

If all this was needed wouldn't the manual say something?

I find placing it on the wooden blocks and the rug an inelegant solution.

The manual does say that placing the volume at 12 o'clock is where we should start getting the best out of the sub.

Am I missing something?

PS: Sub in question: SW150.

First the sub was on its own (little) feet, but the sound 'pressure' was not there. The subs volume needed to be at max to really 'feel' anything.

A friend suggested placing a thick rug under sub woofer still no real improvement. Then later we raised the sub on small wooden blocks and further thickened the padding below, now we could reduce the volume on the sub to about 3 o'clock position.

If all this was needed wouldn't the manual say something?

I find placing it on the wooden blocks and the rug an inelegant solution.

The manual does say that placing the volume at 12 o'clock is where we should start getting the best out of the sub.

Am I missing something?

PS: Sub in question: SW150.

of course, you are missing something-

the performance of any subwoofer depends on correct location of the said subwoofer in the room.

there are many threads regarding this on this forum.

googling will also give you much information

Thanks Suri,

I am in awe of your DIY work.

I did go thru' as many articles on the sub placement etc. on the forum and elsewhere I could lay my hands on, but nowhere was the performance related to 'elevating' the sub off the ground. And there was no mention of the need to place a piece of carpet/foam under the port.

I did try placing the sub at a couple of locations in the room, but haven't really spent too much time on that. I understand the 'physics' behind the location (being related to the geometry of the room and the furniture in it etc).

Any new pointers will be most welcome.

You can also have bottom firing subs which are "slot loaded"-ie, the box has four feet, which are mounted on a flat piece of plywood.I used one in this configuration for some time-there was a gap of around two or three inches on all four sides. ACI had a sub called the Titan, which was like this some years ago. The piece at the base was the same size as the box, so it didnt project outwards. Obviously this doesnt need a rug-BUT proper placement is critical.

George

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back