SACD & DVD Audio....

deba

Dear All,

Never heard much about DVD Audio & SACD in India. Is it available in India or is it another obsolete format ? Is the sound quality really better in reality when compared to a standard CD ? Will multichannel audio exist or will it be the normal stereo that will stay for ever.

Kindly discuss.
Thanks.

I have not seen much of Hi Res(SACD/DVD-A) here in India, i managed to get Pink Floyd( Dark side of the moon), Deep Purple in hybrid SACD format, and around 4 to 5 DVD-A boolywood titles( Veer Zara, Zoom bara bar..etc)

My personal opinion after having listened to bootleged DTS-Upmixed Audio CD's is that good old CD's are anyday a good match to hi-res recording( of course i presume superior recording of ACD). I like music in Stereo.

I dont see much future for the DVD-A/SACD format in India

Regards,

Rhythum house Mumbai used to keep a small selection and I think they still have some titles...
I remembered seeing some in plannet M but now I think no stock.
I got dark side of the moon Hybrid ...

Have only one SACD - Dark Side of Moon.
Be sure your DVD player can play the watermarked copies. Such player Lists are available online.

Last edited:
Dear All,

Never heard much about DVD Audio & SACD in India. Is it available in India or is it another obsolete format ? Is the sound quality really better in reality when compared to a standard CD ? Will multichannel audio exist or will it be the normal stereo that will stay for ever.

Kindly discuss.
Thanks.

Yes, DVD-A & SACD are available in India. Multichannel and Stereo both exists. SACDs come in Hybrid variety, can be played on normal CD players.

Regarding SQ, well, I did purchase a few discs hoping to get better sound. so far I have not seen much improvement. DTS CDs are a great improvement over redbooks, though.

Now I'm suspecting my player as the weakest link here (some one save me from this addiction). counting my savings to invest in a better source. Hirez formats do need better players as most of them output SACD and DVD-A only through their analogue outs. the quality of the analogue outs (in most cases) is directly proportional to the price of the player. In short, I feel you need to have a very good player to get the best out of these formats.

DVD-A seems to be pretty much out. SACD is popular in classical music recordings. may be soon we will see Bluray-Audio which would eclipse both. :rolleyes:

On last count I have 62 SACD and DVD-A - all originals.

SACD is Sony initiated and supported format that has limited options.
DVD-A has a greater number of artistes signed for produciton. DVD-A can be played on a normal DVD player but not SACDs (similar to DTS I guess).

Sound is distinctly better than CDs except the Indian cuts (Veer Zaara etc. from Yash Raj Productions). They are multichannel but not produced well.

To me both these formats are similar to Vinyl - there will be a dedicated group that will like it but it definitley is not widespread + it costs way more than CDs.

There is definitely a place for high res music but I suspect that Blu-ray players will take over this space if the disks become cheaper esp. with music offerings.

The trend is to go with higher resolution for Video (1080P) and Audio (SACD, BluRay) etc.

By the way, those who claim to download SACDs are just downloading the 2 channel (redbook CD versions) as its not possible to rip multi channel SACD AFAIK.

Dear All,

Kindly discuss.
Thanks.

DVD-A can be played on a normal DVD player but not SACDs (similar to DTS I guess).

By the way, those who claim to download SACDs are just downloading the 2 channel (redbook CD versions) as its not possible to rip multi channel SACD AFAIK.

Like SACD, even DVD-A needs "Universal DVD Player". It cannot be played on normal DVD player. If you are able to play them, then you are only playing normal version and not high resolution (hybrid).

Few SACD (transfers) are available for download in DVD-A formats in 5.1. There are 3rd party devices which can be hard wired to your player to capture unencrypted pure high resolution PCM outputs, using digital PC sound cards, encode & finish with DVD-A authoring softwares. But there are very few who do this.

Last edited:
For the record, DVD-Audio format is partnered by Sony too. They just decided to dump it in favor of SACD.

Regards

Where can I get DVD audio cds in hyderabad?
How diferent are they from normal 'original CDs'?

Do indian movie songs come in DVD audio?

Thanks,

For the record, DVD-Audio format is partnered by Sony too. They just decided to dump it in favor of SACD.

Regards

I mentioned that SACD was initiated by Sony and supported. Only those Sony labels that were sold off to others or bought later like Time Warner Music, Columbia etc. are available on DVD-A

Like SACD, even DVD-A needs "Universal DVD Player". It cannot be played on normal DVD player. If you are able to play them, then you are only playing normal version and not high resolution (hybrid).

Few SACD (transfers) are available for download in DVD-A formats in 5.1. There are 3rd party devices which can be hard wired to your player to capture unencrypted pure high resolution PCM outputs, using digital PC sound cards, encode & finish with DVD-A authoring softwares. But there are very few who do this.

Thats right and I was careful to not mention that you will listen to high res on normal DVD players. The primary reason you can play on normal DVD players is that the stream is stored in PCM format in 24/48 kHz (as DVD-Video) even though the high res can be sampled all the up until 192 kHz

Theoretically SACD and DVD-A is better. They will sound closer to analogue.
Practically speaking, very few people extract the best out of the original red-book cd :sad: A properly setup red-book based setup can sound magical ;)SACD and DVD-A are for those who want to move as close as possible to analogue from this point.

Last edited:
Theoretically SACD and DVD-A is better. They will sound closer to analogue.
Practically speaking, very few people extract the best out of the original red-book cd :sad: A properly setup red-book based setup can sound magical ;)SACD and DVD-A are for those who want to move as close as possible to analogue from this point.

true enough

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back