sam9s Raspberry Pi Project! powered by Amazon Echo, A.K.A Alexa.

I am using Logitech Harmony remote and it does exactly what you are trying to achieve. Supports IFTTT, Alexa, Google Home, ..
I also use Peel remote app in my phone to control TV / DTH via IR blaster. Single button to switch on both TV / DTH.

I am using Alexa since 6 months and it does work beautifully. I have installed the Logitech harmony app and it now controls my entire setup of TV watching, HTPC playback, etc. These configurations are already saved on the Harmony with the hub and now the Alexa pairs with this and based on my commands like "Turn on the TV" it does the same by changing the HDMI to 1, Videocon D2H switching on, turning the TV.

@kmathan88 and Manniraj - you bought the physical harmony hub right? not just the free app? if not and you managed it for free pls do help me out

In the below video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSlz_lT1k4&t=536s

till 18.26 i managed to survive including some heartbreaking moments in that two python DOS thing he did - eventually added mumbai time zone in the notepad file and it worked. Now at this point when he clicks on the add trigger and that blank square in the drop down he got alexa skills - i dont get alexa anything - is this because echo is not released in india or i am doing something stupid?

The anymote video i was referring to in my earlier post where i dont find tata sky recorder settop box is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5C4nHUQDs

OH YEAH AS I HAVE MENTIONED FEW TIMES BEFORE....I AM NOT AN IT PERSON..JUST USE INTERNET AND COMMON SENSE TO FIGURE THINGS OUT AND SOME TIMES I GET STUCK :(

Last edited:
Not sure which view you are talking about, but sharing the one I think u are referring to..

https://youtu.be/MVn1Ta2hDQ0
No

No the other one where you had a lamp and you were giving voice commands to ALexa

Do post some DIY video for dummies using hopefully sonoff and nothing else. I guess switching on a lamp is not difficult. But anything more using sonoff am sure is not easy..so pls do guide including that tablet thing u showed on the above video

Last edited:
@kmathan88 and Manniraj - you bought the physical harmony hub right? not just the free app? if not and you managed it for free pls do help me out

In the below video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSlz_lT1k4&t=536s

Controlling kodi with Alexa does not make sense, except for may be just saying Alexa play a movie <<movie name>> apart from that navigating through kodi via Alexa is a major PITA. ALEXA should be used to just switch on the devices like lights, media player, TV or projector, HDMI switching easily happens via CEC. The navigation inside Kodi should be manual, from mobile. Once the move is played lights should auto switch off. (Checkout MY this video) Play and pause should also be manual, you cannot expect to shout at Alexa "while" the movie is playing, she won't listen and frankly it's gonna look and sound weird.

All voice automation should be natural and not forced if you know what I mean.

No

No the other one where you had a lamp and you were giving voice commands to ALexa

The only other 2 videos I prepared are below, must be one of it you are refering to

https://youtu.be/2dajaWltqlk

https://youtu.be/5RqFgnmZXRg

Do post some DIY video for dummies using hopefully sonoff and nothing else. I guess switching on a lamp is not difficult. But anything more using sonoff am sure is not easy..so pls do guide including that tablet thing u showed on the above video

will try ... its a long and a bit tedious process, so unless there is a huge demand and interest, I see no point, if you know what I mean ..... :)

Start to finish tutorials on how to control ...both tablets and echo..as of now my echo is just a dumb always on assistant..plus ordered three sonoffs!

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

Those were some great videos and projects that you tried with PI and Echo, just went through this thread and your videos, great stuff.

Can you share any tutorials that you followed for the following:
:Controlling the lights with Kodi
:Using/integrating Sonoff devices. i guess, Sonoff's are must if you want to start with the automation process.

^^ I havent made any tut on these, but below are some pointes for you to get started ...

1. Everything is integrated and controlled by Home Automation OS called Home Assistant running on Rpi. (just google Home Assistant on Rpi)

2. HA supports truck loads of components, so if you have already existing devices lilke Philips hue or wemo or in fact an automation hub as well like fibaro or vera you still can use HA to include those as well.

3. Once HA is installed, you need to configure it by configuration.yaml file (all tut available on website) that yaml file will tell HA what devices to look and connect etc etc.

4. Coning to sonoff : sonoff initself are independent devices, with their own app that also works with alexa, so all you need is to connect it with the device download app register it and u r good to go. BUT, to make it work with home assistant, what is what makes it worth, you need to update it with CFW. Tasmota is the best out there. Now, this procedure requires a bit patience and reading. But once the CFW is uploaded, all you need is to update your YAML file and the device will start showing on HA dashboard.

5.Last part is Alexa part which is the easiest. Once HA is working and all devices are added and listed, all you need to do is to ask Alexa to discover them all and she will. Then its just a matter of saying Alexa switch off device name that you gave in HA.

thats all .... try and best of luck.

^^ I havent made any tut on these, but below are some pointes for you to get started ...

1. Everything is integrated and controlled by Home Automation OS called Home Assistant running on Rpi. (just google Home Assistant on Rpi)

2. HA supports truck loads of components, so if you have already existing devices lilke Philips hue or wemo or in fact an automation hub as well like fibaro or vera you still can use HA to include those as well.

3. Once HA is installed, you need to configure it by configuration.yaml file (all tut available on website) that yaml file will tell HA what devices to look and connect etc etc.

4. Coning to sonoff : sonoff initself are independent devices, with their own app that also works with alexa, so all you need is to connect it with the device download app register it and u r good to go. BUT, to make it work with home assistant, what is what makes it worth, you need to update it with CFW. Tasmota is the best out there. Now, this procedure requires a bit patience and reading. But once the CFW is uploaded, all you need is to update your YAML file and the device will start showing on HA dashboard.

5.Last part is Alexa part which is the easiest. Once HA is working and all devices are added and listed, all you need to do is to ask Alexa to discover them all and she will. Then its just a matter of saying Alexa switch off device name that you gave in HA.

thats all .... try and best of luck.

Thanks so much for the lead Sam. will start from here.. First of all , will order the following:;
PI3,SDcard,Power Adapter and Usb Microphone, already have a bluetooth speaker..anything missing ?
Dont have any existing devices like Philips hue or wemo, for smart lighting setup, thinking of using the usual leds, and connecting sonoff to make then smart. Any recommendations on what else can be used to achieve the same ? looking at the most economical solution right now, since picking up this topic to learn something new.

What device are you using for the lighting part ?

A month after I ordered off Banggood..got my three sonoffs wifi switches..just dont know what to do...still waiting for some guidance. I got the following:

(a) Echo Dot
(b) Three Sonoff wifi switches
(c) Few Fire Tablets
(d) Awaiting couple of Xiaomi LED bulbs

Dont have a raspberry PI - but can buy them plus i got few windows machines..not really sure if I need another PI.

But moot point is whether with above..I can get to control my TV, Settop box, Fan...etc or do I need to buy somemore stuff and even if I do buy..how to go about setting it:mad:

Thanks so much for the lead Sam. will start from here.. First of all , will order the following:;
PI3,SDcard,Power Adapter and Usb Microphone, already have a bluetooth speaker..anything missing ?
Dont have any existing devices like Philips hue or wemo, for smart lighting setup, thinking of using the usual leds, and connecting sonoff to make then smart. Any recommendations on what else can be used to achieve the same ? looking at the most economical solution right now, since picking up this topic to learn something new.

What device are you using for the lighting part ?

There is nothing else you need, but mind you most economical might not be more easy, infact it is like that. Phillips hue and wemo works out of the box, they have their own app and also works with alexa. But they are pretty expensive. sonoff are super cheap and they also work out of the box, but again with their dedicated app and are cloud-based. They will not work with your existing Home automation system like Home Assistant. for that the CFW route has to be taken.But it you want just to control your lights in the easiest manner without any centralized dasboard or webpage, hue, wemo and sonoff all will work with their respective apps. They will also work with alexa.

A month after I ordered off Banggood..got my three sonoffs wifi switches..just dont know what to do...still waiting for some guidance. I got the following:

(a) Echo Dot
(b) Three Sonoff wifi switches
(c) Few Fire Tablets
(d) Awaiting couple of Xiaomi LED bulbs

Dont have a raspberry PI - but can buy them plus i got few windows machines..not really sure if I need another PI.

But moot point is whether with above..I can get to control my TV, Settop box, Fan...etc or do I need to buy somemore stuff and even if I do buy..how to go about setting it:mad:

arnprasad, your best bet and easiest is to use sonoff out of the box as default with their apps. Just connect the device to your TV power fan and STB power, download the app, let the devices connect with their wifis, register them and start controlling them via the app. Mind you, you only will be able to switch on and off your devices, not change the channel with this approach, plus for TV, since it gets switched on via IR, you only will be able to provide power to the TV, but will still have to use the remote to switch it on. But FANs and LIGHTS will work perfectly. To controll IR devices, bit more complex automation is needed.

There is nothing else you need, but mind you most economical might not be more easy, infact it is like that. Phillips hue and wemo works out of the box, they have their own app and also works with alexa. But they are pretty expensive. sonoff are super cheap and they also work out of the box, but again with their dedicated app and are cloud-based. They will not work with your existing Home automation system like Home Assistant. for that the CFW route has to be taken.But it you want just to control your lights in the easiest manner without any centralized dasboard or webpage, hue, wemo and sonoff all will work with their respective apps. They will also work with alexa.
Thanks again Sam. Couple of questions
Which lights are you using ,that you are controlling through alexa on pi.
I'm currently targeting at following
Controlling lights- simple on and off
Controlling lights from Kodi. Exactly what you have a acheived in you video

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks again Sam. Couple of questions
Which lights are you using ,that you are controlling through alexa on pi.
I'm currently targeting at following
Controlling lights- simple on and off
Controlling lights from Kodi. Exactly what you have a acheived in you video

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Any light can be controlled with sonoff, (mine are normal 5V LEDs) its just a power relay with built in wifi. The relay can be controlled to give and cut power to any device that works on AC and is under 10 AMPs (for 16AMP another model sonoff is recomended). The relay controlling part can be done via wifi from the respective apps, that would also give compatibility with alexa. OR via CFW where you can do much more than just on and off, but that route is a bit complicated.

arnprasad, your best bet and easiest is to use sonoff out of the box as default with their apps. Just connect the device to your TV power fan and STB power, download the app, let the devices connect with their wifis, register them and start controlling them via the app. Mind you, you only will be able to switch on and off your devices, not change the channel with this approach, plus for TV, since it gets switched on via IR, you only will be able to provide power to the TV, but will still have to use the remote to switch it on. But FANs and LIGHTS will work perfectly. To controll IR devices, bit more complex automation is needed.

Thanks for Sammy. Is this how it works?

1) Say to switch my TV on and off - I chop off my TV Power cable and insert a sonoff in between? also am assuming since its three pin plug it will have three wires and sonoff has two inlets?
2) How to control fan since there are no wires hanging out where I can insert a sonoff? same goes for installed lights as well
3) Also one device = one sonoff and a single sonoff cant control multiple devices?
4)Channel changing and other IR remote related control - we got to use a broadcom IR blaster controller or some such thing? saw paul hibberts video on this.

Hence all of us want to know in detail how you did it :) should be good even if u wrote about it or at least paste some youtube videos where they have done exactly what u did

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back