sam9s VMWare project! powered by ESXi Hypervisor

Hi Friends

Updating my thread after a long time .... No sure how many did take advantage of esxi via this thread, but I sure had a blast, Now after almost 3 years, I decided to do an overhaul of the system and start a fresh new project on the same. Below are the reasons and the changes I did to the system.

HARDWARE

I sold off my core i7 2700k for a Ryzon 1600x this year, so I had to purchase new hardware for my ESXi, below is what I bought (some used some new)

1. Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 V2 @ 3.20GHz
2. Intel® Server Board S1200KP
3. 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 Ram
4. ITX micro case
5. DC DC ATX Peak PSU 12V 300W Pico ATX Power Supply

The result is much much better in terms of size which is just 6x6x3 Inch plus the power footprint coz if the pico supply. Check out below images of the new setup.

I was impressed by it frankly. The server sits nicely on my NAS and looks cool. Now the software part that I will cover in the next post soon

j58daa.jpg

29qjp51.jpg

cnqs6.jpg

Hi Friends

Updating my thread after a long time .... No sure how many did take advantage of esxi via this thread, but I sure had a blast, Now after almost 3 years, I decided to do an overhaul of the system and start a fresh new project on the same. Below are the reasons and the changes I did to the system.

HARDWARE

I sold off my core i7 2700k for a Ryzon 1600x this year, so I had to purchase new hardware for my ESXi, below is what I bought (some used some new)

1. Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 V2 @ 3.20GHz
2. Intel® Server Board S1200KP
3. 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 Ram
4. ITX micro case
5. DC DC ATX Peak PSU 12V 300W Pico ATX Power Supply

The result is much much better in terms of size which is just 6x6x3 Inch plus the power footprint coz if the pico supply. Check out below images of the new setup.

I was impressed by it frankly. The server sits nicely on my NAS and looks cool. Now the software part that I will cover in the next post soon

j58daa.jpg

29qjp51.jpg

cnqs6.jpg
Gorgeous.. looks like a media player..sleek and elegant

yep,, thats, why I love it ..... getting the Pico DC to DC PSU, was tricky and the most difficult part, rest was relatively easy. But in comparison to my earlier box image shared below this looks miles ahead, and performance is same as Xeon is same in terms of processing power as was 2600K i7, but this sits on ITX board with ECC ram so that is cool

My earlier box was HUGE Tower with 600 watt PSU.

ehcg8i.jpg

.. I also forgot to mention to major changes.

1. The esxi boot drive earlier was a pendrive, now what I got is a 16 GB sata emmc module, that boot esxi incredible fast .
2. The virtual machines are now on 500 GB Kingston A400 SSD, instead of 1 TB 2.5" regular HDD. This has made creating and booting virtual machines super crazy fast. So overall this setup is just awesomeness .. :D .. ( Touch Wood)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back