Samsung down firing vs side/bottom speakers of Sony/LG

mk15

Hello

I saw the samsung LCD today but they all had downfiring speakers compared to the side/bottom of other brands.

Wont the sound be muffled due to down firing speakers. I really liked the TV at the price but I am hesitant bcoz of poor audio as compared to Sony or even panasonic. IUs this due to the down firing design.

well the down firing speaker will indeed have some impact on sound quality,but the primary thing to look in a tv is the image quality,the nearest competitor to samsung is sony it always had better sound,samsung tvs could have had better sound if they stop concentrating to much on the aesthetics.

actually the reason why they keep it down firing is for the sound to bounce off the surface on which the TV is placed and gain some weight and body (similar to the speakers on your phones etc.,), this of course becomes pointless if you wall mount it, but when it's placed on a stand (like I have), these speakers appear to work quite well and are perhaps marginally superior to the regular flat panel TV speakers. Of course this is all relative and the sound quality on most of these TVs is pretty dire. The previous generation of Panasonic plasmas (and LCDs?) apparently had a relatively good sound quality, which I am told has disappeared in the latest line, not sure why.

Either ways, the audio from your flat panel TV is not even going to equal the audio from your old 21" CRT, so you better invest in some kind of audio reinforcement if you are going for a flat panel TV.

Hello

I saw the samsung LCD today but they all had downfiring speakers compared to the side/bottom of other brands.

Wont the sound be muffled due to down firing speakers. I really liked the TV at the price but I am hesitant bcoz of poor audio as compared to Sony or even panasonic. IUs this due to the down firing design.

Hello

To be honest, this is not a topic worth much discussion since the speakers on TV are absolute crap. The assumed expectation with the purchase of HD TV is that the audio will be enhanced by a HTiB or an AVR.

FYI, I had a chance to go through the guts of a Pioneer elite and samsung TVs and the speakers are atrocious on both. They are also rated at 10-15W, so no rumble when the T-Rex attacks in Jurassic park !

I found the speakers on the 32v550A Sony to be much superior than the samsung along with the built quality of the body. But I wanted a 37" . Hence, tested the samsung but the sound quality on the samsung was the worst even behind, panasonic. The dealer said that speakers require a burn in but my apprehensions were that due to the down firing design, much quality was lost.

I have a home theater but for normal cable viewing, home theatre speakers are uncomfortable.

Seems I would have to go for the 32" Sony V series as there is no other option in 37".

I found the speakers on the 32v550A Sony to be much superior than the samsung along with the built quality of the body. But I wanted a 37" . Hence, tested the samsung but the sound quality on the samsung was the worst even behind, panasonic. The dealer said that speakers require a burn in but my apprehensions were that due to the down firing design, much quality was lost.

I have a home theater but for normal cable viewing, home theatre speakers are uncomfortable.

Seems I would have to go for the 32" Sony V series as there is no other option in 37".

Have you checked out the SONY 37" in the S400 series?

Its still 57.5k here as the 550 series has not been launched..And the image processing of BE3 for SD content is much sharper than the BE2.

How important is 24p mode which is absent from the S series.

Its still 57.5k here as the 550 series has not been launched..And the image processing of BE3 for SD content is much sharper than the BE2.

How important is 24p mode which is absent from the S series.

well u can try getting the 37inch S550 from grey market,should be around 47k.

Bought a Pany LX80 for 29500 with free HDMI cable.

Will install it tonight.

My sincere thanks to all for helping me in my purchase.

Thanks again.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back