Samsung Full HD

Shawn

Guys,

I am planning to go for Samsung full HD 46" LCD. Your advices will be appreciated.

Shawn

Guys,

I am planning to go for Samsung full HD 46" LCD. Your advices will be appreciated.

Shawn

Hi,

Infact, Iam also planning the same and have short listed Samsung Series 5 LA46A550. But also had a look into Series 6 LA46A650. Advise first whether Samsung is good in LCD and second, which series to go in. Iam looking for 46" screen size.

Shwan and EumMagic.

Samsung is an excellent brand for LCD TV. They are fighting for top spot with Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony. I would not be surprised if they sell a huge number. I have auditioned the Samsung a number of times, and I have always found the player to deliver great images.

I am fondly looking at their 63 inch plasma if my wife does not allow me to get a projector.

You should obviously got for the latest series - series 6. I think it is called Mosel Blaque.

Cheers

Shwan and EumMagic.

Samsung is an excellent brand for LCD TV. They are fighting for top spot with Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony. I would not be surprised if they sell a huge number. I have auditioned the Samsung a number of times, and I have always found the player to deliver great images.

I am fondly looking at their 63 inch plasma if my wife does not allow me to get a projector.

You should obviously got for the latest series - series 6. I think it is called Mosel Blaque.

Cheers

Thanks venkatcr! for your suggestion. But series 6 is exceeding my budget. Pls tell the major feature difference between models I specified in series 5 & 6. My purpose is only movie (1080p) not even DTH connectivity. Kindly advise.

Please look up Psychotropic's answer in

http://www.hifivision.com/television/1898-flat-panel-crt-3.html

Strictly for watching movies, you won't find too much of difference. But in any case, here goes:

Series 5
Full HD 1080P resolution
3 HDMI Sockets with one on the side for ease of use.
15,000:1 contrast ration on 32" and 37"
30,000:1 contrast ratio on 42" and above
1 Wiselink USB 2.0
24P movie mode
Wide color enhancer 2
Gaming mode.
5 ms LCD response time

Read review of Series 5 46incher at Samsung LA46A550P1RXXS (46-inch LCD) Video Review - TVs - CNET Asia

Series 6
Full HD 1080P resolution
4 HDMI sockets
15,000:1 contrast ration on 32" and 37"
50,000:1 contrast ratio on 42" and above
1 Wiselink USB 2.0
Wide Color Enhancer 2
Dedicated Gamin Mode.
4 ms LCD response time
100 Hz operation for better jitter and motion control.

As you can see the main differences are contrast ratio and LCD response time. Even if you connect an AVR, TV, and a Gaming Device, you wont need more than 3 HDMI connections.

The biggest advantage seems to be in the gaming mode, where the 6 series has a large buffer and reacts faster to controls from your gaming device.

Both series will fit very well for movies.

Cheers

Is also a big difference. As I am experiencing it of Sammy 29 " 100 Hz CRT TV v/s SONY 29" 50 Hz CRT TV. With 100 Hz scanning pictures become more smooth, jitter free quite easy on eyes.

Is also a big difference. As I am experiencing it of Sammy 29 " 100 Hz CRT TV v/s SONY 29" 50 Hz CRT TV. With 100 Hz scanning pictures become more smooth, jitter free quite easy on eyes.

Sorry Suhas, missed that. The Series 6 seems to have 120Hz for NTSC, but as usual this may not be available in India.

Cheers

Hey Shawn, I think Venkat's answered all your queries. I'll just add a couple of things. Have you decided on LCD over plasma after careful consideration or only because "everyone seems to be going for LCD." Personally I prefer the picture on the plasmas, and I would suggest you check out 50" plasmas as well. Samsung makes excellent televisions and always delivers terrific value for money. And the icing on the cake is that their products are always beautifully finished, and in this department I don't think anyone can beat them.

Hi,

I found good reviews of 32 series 4 no 450A but dont know ohters.

Shwan and EumMagic.

Cheers

Sorry Suhas, missed that. The Series 6 seems to have 120Hz for NTSC, but as usual this may not be available in India.

Cheers

Hi venkatcr,

In your comparison between series 5 & 6 regarding Hz you didnt mention for the series 5. If its less than 100Hz then whether will it support progressive (720p or 1080p)

What is indicated in Hz is not the resolution and does not have any bearing on the ability of the television to reproduce high definition images (whether 720p or 1080p)....there are several threads on this forum that explain all these aspects in a lot of detail, but the short point is that what 100Hz is a reference to a technology that improves the ability of the LCD to track motion (as deficiencies in this area are a known issue with LCD technology). This is however not a foolproof technology and often results in artifacts, so it would be a veyr personal decision whether it is worth paying extra for the technology.

Hi venkatcr,

In your comparison between series 5 & 6 regarding Hz you didnt mention for the series 5. If its less than 100Hz then whether will it support progressive (720p or 1080p)

EumMagic:

I did not mention that as I was not able to find that specification. It is little confusing. Since the refresh speed is not mentioned I kind of assumed that it is less than 100hz. At the same time Samsung 1080P panels are supposed to support 100Hz and above to reduce motion blur.

Please do check with the dealer.

But irrespective of this, the Series 5 does support Full HD, and will support progressive scans upto 1080P. That is if you buy a Full HD TV.

Cheers
Cheers

u can also buy the sony W series its the best 46inch lcd currently available in india.even though it doesn have 100hz this tv gets 5 out 5 in reviews vs samsung series 6 which gets 4.
the sony produces more contrast and deeper blacks then the samsung series 6.

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. Iam offered series 5 for Rs.82800/- and Series 6 for Rs.1,38,000/- (Chennai). At present, my budget allows me to choose series 5 for which your valuable inputs says that it is good since my main usage is movie viewing and in future may connect Popcorn Hour A-110. Pls your advise...

Thanks for all your valuable inputs. Iam offered series 5 for Rs.82800/- and Series 6 for Rs.1,38,000/- (Chennai). At present, my budget allows me to choose series 5 for which your valuable inputs says that it is good since my main usage is movie viewing and in future may connect Popcorn Hour A-110. Pls your advise...

well the prices which u got seems to be very high. series 6 only costs MRP 109000,and series 5 costs about 65k

well the prices which u got seems to be very high. series 6 only costs MRP 109000,and series 5 costs about 65k

Are you sure that these prices are for the 46" because the difference seems to be very huge from their MRP listed in the website "www.samsung.com/in" and in which place?

If it is India, then I dont mind shipping it to chennai paying extra for shipping and would surely go for the series 6 46".

In Chennai, any idea where I can get the best price?

Are you sure that these prices are for the 46" because the difference seems to be very huge from their MRP listed in the website "www.samsung.com/in" and in which place?

If it is India, then I dont mind shipping it to chennai paying extra for shipping and would surely go for the series 6 46".

In Chennai, any idea where I can get the best price?

oh my bad i taught u were talking about 40inch.but if u do want lower prices u can always buy it in the grey market and chennai is the first destination for these lcds to come to india.in the grey market the lcds are around 10k to 20k cheaper.

Hi psychotropic,

I just checked the rates with Mr.Shyam. He told for Series 5 46" the MRP is 1 Lac and he can give at Rs.89000/-. Meanwhile, I happened to get the no. of a person working in Samsung through my ex colleague. He has offered at Rs.81000/-. I think this rate should be a steal!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back