Samsung Hw N950 sound vs AVR and speakers

Rosenarayanappa

All,
I am thinkimg of getting this atmos soundbar.
Are there any better value for money atmos soundbar.
Or is the dedicated AVR plus 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 speakers better within the same price bracket of the sound bar?
Pls note. Rented house ceiling speaker placement ruled out.

Same opinion as FM @ajuvignesh

Or is the dedicated AVR plus 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 speakers better within the same price bracket of the sound bar?

I don't see them listed on Samsung India website.. The US price seems $1,500.. So approx it should be 1.5 Lacs + in India.. For the same money you can do a very good HT. Even 5.1.4..

You may consider mounting the height speakers high on walls.. If that is not feasible, you may opt for Atmos enabled speakers, where the upfiring speakers are integrated to the main speaker..

All,
My current setup is a 5.1 setup with Denon 2309 and Mordaunt Short Avant series speakers plus HSU STF2 sub.
Iam also considering moving to a good ATMOS soundbar instead of upgrading to an ATMOS AVR.
Yamaha YSP5600 is another option.
Samsung K 950 (don't know if it the same as N 950) comes with wireless surround speakers and a subwoofer, whereas, Yamaha has more drivers (40 plus I guess) in the soundbar it self and relies completely on reflections from the room to create a 7.1.4 impact. You can hook a subwoffer and it has greater number of HDMI inputs, so trying to pitch as an AVR replacement for people who do not want a clutter of multiple speakers.

None of these or any other soundbar would be able to replicate the sound of a proper AVR + 7.1.2(4) setup, but are targeted towards simple setups

Last edited:
All,
You can never compare a sound bar to avr+speakers set up. And u actually don’t have to install ceiling speakers for Atmos. You can use torvin or svs elevation on concrete ceiling. You can also settle for a 5.1 set up rather then going for a sound bar.

All,
Dedicated AVR+Speakers is the way for better sound.
Atmos Soundbar - It will be pseudo sounds created with reflections of the room .The performance will depends upon how ur room size & shape and the Texture/material of the reflection points .. Soundbar is for the people who dont want alter their room interiors ...Room space constriants etc.,Especially wife factors ;)
The price factor varies a lot .Depnding upon brands,spec it will vary.U may need to decide based on ur requirement.
Atmos can be done without ceiling placements also . Front heights and Rear heights using a Satellite /Bookshelves / Ellevation type speakers -designed for heights speakers options (It needs to installed High on walls with tilted down towards your listenig position.The angles shall be 30 to 55 degree Range with respect to Main listening position).

All,

Any idea where I can get this HW-N950 soundbar in India? My location is in Mumbai. I’ve tried emailing Samsung India, but their pretty useless/clueless about the product.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back