Samsung LA-40A650 vs Sony 40W450

niraj

Does someone has a feature by feature comparison of Samsung LA40A650A1 vs Sony KLV-40W450A?

Also is has anyone seen Samsung UA40B6000VR or UA40B7000. How does these compare with LA40A650A1?

well they both are old tvs soon to be replaced by the samsung LA-40B650A and sony KLV-40W550A.
regarding the old ones both are evenly matched sonys motionflow 100hz is superior to the samsung AMP 100hz,the sony also has slight edge in contrast.

the samsung LED tvs are nothing more then a LA-40B650A with edgelight LED,which results in a slimmer tv and lesser power consumption.
IMO these LED tvs are not the worth the premium unless the LED have local dimming LED system such as the sony KLV-46X450A and upwards in samsung the series 9 lcds(not available in india) or series 9 LUXIA led tvs( yet to be launched throught the world)

Last edited:
Is LA-40B650A available in India?

Also do you have a recommendation for 40 inch LCD?
Croma is selling LA-40A650A at good discount i.e. 76,500/-. Is it worth this price. On the other hand Sony W seriev is 1Lac+.

Sony 46V550 mentions about two additional types of video signals 1080/24p (HDMI) and 1080p (HDMI / Component). How is this different from mentioning 1080p?

Where can get details about BRAVIA Engine 3?

Is LA-40B650A available in India?

Also do you have a recommendation for 40 inch LCD?
Croma is selling LA-40A650A at good discount i.e. 76,500/-. Is it worth this price. On the other hand Sony W seriev is 1Lac+.
well currently the best lcd 40inch lcds are from sony and samsung,the A650 will be replaced by the newer B650A which although samsung have announced it in india,it will take around a month for it be available,basicaly they wait for the clear the stock of the existing A650 models ,the new B650 has much improved image processing that handles SD content better and it also has much more contrast.
the W450A is 1 lakh+ since it does things better then the samsung,so its upto the individual whether he is willing to pay that much more for the sony for what ever performance edge sony has and secondly sony is a premium brand whether its worth it is again upto the individual.

Sony 46V550 mentions about two additional types of video signals 1080/24p (HDMI) and 1080p (HDMI / Component). How is this different from mentioning 1080p?

Where can get details about BRAVIA Engine 3?

well most tvs even of last year support the stupid 1080p 24p . to know more about this 24p read this article High-Def FAQ: What's the Big Deal About 1080p24? | High-Def Digest

as far as bravia engine 3 well its has improvements in upscaling department to show SD content better,especialy interlaced signals.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot adder.

Do u have some info on price range for B650A and W550?

I saw 46V550 available last week but not in W series. even in Sony site there is no mention of W550. I liked the A650 and W450 better than V550. I believe 10 bit panel made a difference.

Thanks a lot adder.

Do u have some info on price range for B650A and W550?

I saw 46V550 available last week but not in W series. even in Sony site there is no mention of W550. I liked the A650 and W450 better than V550. I believe 10 bit panel made a difference.

well i don't think 10bit made much difference its mostly due to the 100hz .
the b650 should be priced the same as the existing A650 MRP,the W550A however might take a bit longer since sony only recently launched the W450A in india.they could launch another version called WE5 it is the same as W550A but it has very efficient in terms of power consumption.

Hi, Can anyone help me in choosing sony 40W 450A Vs 40W550A. I read that W550A has a backlighting issue. Anyone has experience of this and how serious is that... Is sony planning to launch any substitute model in same category, to overcome this backlighting issue - Personally, I would like to chose like W550A for the Motionflow feature...
Please guide me... Thanks

Hi, Can anyone help me in choosing sony 40W 450A Vs 40W550A. I read that W550A has a backlighting issue. Anyone has experience of this and how serious is that... Is sony planning to launch any substitute model in same category, to overcome this backlighting issue - Personally, I would like to chose like W550A for the Motionflow feature...
Please guide me... Thanks

the backlight bleeding can occur in any lcd be it a sony or a samsung or a lg,its like a lottery.thus far there have been no reports ,nor have i seen backlight bleed in indian models.

the backlight bleeding can occur in any lcd be it a sony or a samsung or a lg,its like a lottery.thus far there have been no reports ,nor have i seen backlight bleed in indian models.

Backlight bleeding and clouding however is still an issue on the Sony compared to the Samsung. Traditionally their LCDs have always performed worse in this area. The W550 is no different. I don't think there is anything that makes Indian models specialy immune to this problem. In a dark room you will definitely see this backlight bleed to be worse than the samsung. It is not very obvious in well lit showrooms.
People have returned their W550s and W450s just because of irritating backlight issues vis a vis the B650.
I really really do admire Sony as a brand. However this year they have been caught napping. What i am trying to say is that you could easily recommend a Sony over the Samsung last year just by looking at two similar speccd models side by side. This year however choosing a Sony over a Samsung have just not been that easy(for eg.W550 vs B650). Don't get me wrong adder, I really do expect a lot more from them.
For starters though I would really like to see how the new Z550 fares against the B750. I guess that is the only Sony model to look forward to this year as they have postponed the X550 for next year. I may still be wrong about its release because Sony introduced the Z550 earlier this year than the Z450 compared to last year. Maybe they have just woken up after realising the Samsung threat from a misleading Edge Lit LED TV campaign now eating into Sony's sales(Samsung currently owns 96% of the LED market including backlit LED TVs in NA)

Last edited:
Backlight bleeding and clouding however is still an issue on the Sony compared to the Samsung. Traditionally their LCDs have always performed worse in this area. The W550 is no different. I don't think there is anything that makes Indian models specialy immune to this problem. In a dark room you will definitely see this backlight bleed to be worse than the samsung. It is not very obvious in well lit showrooms.
People have returned their W550s and W450s just because of irritating backlight issues vis a vis the B650.
I really really do admire Sony as a brand. However this year they have been caught napping. What i am trying to say is that you could easily recommend a Sony over the Samsung last year just by looking at two similar speccd models side by side. This year however choosing a Sony over a Samsung have just not been that easy(for eg.W550 vs B650). Don't get me wrong adder, I really do expect a lot more from them.
For starters though I would really like to see how the new Z550 fares against the B750. I guess that is the only Sony model to look forward to this year as they have postponed the X550 for next year. I may still be wrong about its release because Sony introduced the Z550 earlier this year than the Z450 compared to last year. Maybe they have just woken up after realising the Samsung threat from a misleading Edge Lit LED TV campaign now eating into Sony's sales(Samsung currently owns 96% of the LED market including backlit LED TVs in NA)

well there are different OEM providers for the thailand and malaysia factories that make the sony lcds for asia.so there will be difference from the ones seen in europe or usa.
like i said before,thus far i haven't seen backlight bleed in any sony models. and please don't tell me about when to spot a backlight bleed,i do check them in the grey market,where u have or atleast i have more liberty to check the lcds for backlight bleed,dead pixels.
while i agree that samsung have better VFM and better features like media playback.but as far as performance goes sony is right there with the samsung,both have their pros and cons,it comes down to what u can live with and without
again the sony X450 itself is still unchallenged by any lcd,its BE2 pro is still better then BE3.so u don't need to wait for X550A,which i am sure will cost quite lot more.
the Z550A is nothing but the tried and tested motionflow 200hz found in z450 but with be3 and a 09 panel.

like i said before,thus far i haven't seen backlight bleed in any sony models. and please don't tell me about when to spot a backlight bleed,i do check them in the grey market,where u have or atleast i have more liberty to check the lcds for backlight bleed,dead pixels.

What is backlight bleeding ?
Thanks

well there are different OEM providers for the thailand and malaysia factories that make the sony lcds for asia.so there will be difference from the ones seen in europe or usa.
while i agree that samsung have better VFM and better features like media playback.but as far as performance goes sony is right there with the samsung,both have their pros and cons,it comes down to what u can live with and without
again the sony X450 itself is still unchallenged by any lcd,its BE2 pro is still better then BE3.so u don't need to wait for X550A,which i am sure will cost quite lot more.
the Z550A is nothing but the tried and tested motionflow 200hz found in z450 but with be3 and a 09 panel.

You said backlight bleeding is a problem with LCDs made by both sony and samsung . You also say that there is absolutely no backlight bleed on any of the sony models that come from Thailand. You mean to say that Thailand made Sony LCDs come absolutely backlight bleeding free while the rest of the world gets panels with bleeding? Indeed a very bold statement outright. I am sure a lot of people will debate that. Also do you think Thailand made models can defeat the very flaw inherent to all LCDs?

Last edited:
What is backlight bleeding ?
Thanks

Backlight bleed is a characterisitc of a CCFL based LCD TV. The backlight 'bleeds' throught the pixels resulting in 'clouds' on the TV especially when there is a completely dark scene distinctly visible in any room with no lights. Some areas of the screen would appear lighter than the others. Over the years manufacturers have been trying to reduce this to a minimum and with great success but still easily visible. You do not have to be bothered about it in a well lit room
Over a period of time clouding can become worse

Last edited:
You said backlight bleeding is a problem with LCDs made by both sony and samsung . You also say that there is absolutely no backlight bleed on any of the sony models that come from Thailand. You mean to say that Thailand made Sony LCDs come absolutely backlight bleeding free while the rest of the world gets panels with bleeding? Indeed a very bold statement outright. I am sure a lot of people will debate that. Also do you think Thailand made models can defeat the very flaw inherent to all LCDs?

well what i have said is thus far i haven't seen a backlight bleed in them,also i just pointed out that they use differnent OEM suppliers ,which in english doesn't mean that there is absolutely no backlight bleed.

well what i have said is thus far i haven't seen a backlight bleed in them,also i just pointed out that they use differnent OEM suppliers ,which in english doesn't mean that there is absolutely no backlight bleed.

I am just a bit surprised you took my words to heart. I have seen a lot of your posts in this forum . You definitely seem to be a Sony and also an LCD fan rather than a plasma one.

Though you countered one of the members of this forum on another thread saying you have recommended a Samsung over the Sony many a time I have really seen you have a lot more positives to talk about the Sony while you mention very little/absolutely none of its flaws. And yes you do seem to like the 3d image and brilliant whites of an LCD in another post where you did not agree with the western half of the world most of them who like plasma.

Last edited:
I am just a bit surprised you took my words to heart. I have seen a lot of your posts in this forum . You definitely seem to be a Sony and also an LCD fan rather than a plasma one.

Though you countered one of the members of this forum on another thread saying you have recommended a Samsung over the Sony many a time I have really seen you have a lot more positives to talk about the Sony while you mention very little/absolutely none of its flaws. And yes you do seem to like the 3d image and brilliant whites of an LCD in another post where you did not agree with the western half of the world most of them who like plasma.

well the western part of the world majority don't like plasmas,but i do recommend plasmas if the persons like the picture charcterstics of plasma.about me recommending a sony,well sony is pretty good right,the flaws are mostly the price,as with any tv ,it will have some flaws,i don't say go for a one particular brand,i have at times said people here to trust their own eyes.i am a fan of any technolgy if it looks good.everyone has there own criteria some go with what colors they like,some go with tvs that show better detail etc
do note for a brand like sony ,there are many people who hate sony just because of the premium brand image,like how some people hate apple,xbox only users may hate sony.at the same time some people go blindly by the brand name ,they buy everything of sony from phones,hifi,dvd player ,car stereo to cameras etc.

Last edited:
well the western part of the world majority don't like plasmas,but i do recommend plasmas if the persons like the picture charcterstics of plasma.about me recommending a sony,well sony is pretty good right,the flaws are mostly the price,as with any tv ,it will have some flaws,i don't say go for a one particular brand,i have at times said people here to trust their own eyes.i am a fan of any technolgy if it looks good.everyone has there own criteria some go with what colors they like,some go with tvs that show better detail etc
do note for a brand like sony ,there are many people who hate sony just because of the premium brand image,like how some people hate apple,xbox only users may hate sony.at the same time some people go blindly by the brand name ,they buy everything of sony from phones,hifi,dvd player ,car stereo to cameras etc.

Sorry my previous post should have read many instead of most people in the western world liking plasma. If the west liked plasma then plasmas would have outsold LCDs.
But yes thank you very much for being very forthcoming about your liking of Sony.
Even great brands do make mistakes. To point out in Sony's case the ZX1 one of the worst to come out of their stables. In fact its lack of success made Sony even blame Samsung for falsely promoting Edge Lit TVs as a next generation thingie. Samsung's edge lits were all definitely better than this one, though they had their own problems.
It is for the very same reason that i try avoid being brand conscious. I would go with anyone who makes a good product. It is what i would even suggest to people before making a purchase. And despite some mistakes most of the time both have made wonderful TVs. The X450 and the B750 are both excellent TVs in their own categories currently.

Last edited:
Sorry my previous post should have read many instead of most people in the western world liking plasma. If the west liked plasma then plasmas would have outsold LCDs.
But yes thank you very much for being very forthcoming about your liking of Sony.
Even great brands do make mistakes. To point out in Sony's case the ZX1 one of the worst to come out of their stables. In fact its lack of success made Sony even blame Samsung for falsely promoting Edge Lit TVs as a next generation thingie. Samsung's edge lits were all definitely better than this one, though they had their own problems.
It is for the very same reason that i try avoid being brand conscious. I would go with anyone who makes a good product. It is what i would even suggest to people before making a purchase. And despite some mistakes most of the time both have made wonderful TVs. The X450 and the B750 are both excellent TVs in their own categories currently.

well like i said i will prefer sony or any other brand if it performs well.the sony Zx1 edge light backlight is more expensive to make,samsung have made it more cost effective,hence sony are more intrestred in rear backlight with local dimming which increases the contrast to some extent.but sony will also soon start selling tvs with samsung edge lit panels or the upcoming AU optronics edge light panel soon,going by the way sammy edgelight have sold.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back