Samsung Or Sony

Kapz

Hello Guys,

I reached this forum today in my quest for finding out the comparison details. I plan to buy LCD and have shortlisted between Sony KLV 40V400A and Samsung LA40610A3R. Both of them are full HD and cost about the same in retail. Can you please advise me in reaching a decision? I am in kochi and if someone knows where I can get a better deal, please do advise. Thanks very much.

Kapil

Kapil,

Welcome to HiFiVision.

The Samsung model is LA40A610. Is this correct. The model number you specified does not exist.

The Samsung uses the Series 6 panel and is about the latest in the market.

In terms of specs both Sony and Samsung are nearly identical. So it is a question of you watching both TVs and deciding which one you like. The clincher will be in high speed motion, where I feel (IMO) the Samsung may have a bit of an advantage as it has a response time of 5ms whereas the Sony has a response time of 8ms.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply Venkat. Apart from quicker refresh time, Samsung is cheaper and offers USB 2.0 as well, whatever that matters for my 50paise. Frankly speaking, i was not able to decide even while watching two panels side by side. My only worry is life of product. I have a doubt whether Korean products have lesser life due to some inferior components? This is just a thought and nothing confirmed though. Will be glad if you can provide some inputs.

My only worry is life of product. I have a doubt whether Korean products have lesser life due to some inferior components? This is just a thought and nothing confirmed though. Will be glad if you can provide some inputs.

Don't be too surprised if the panels of both Sony and Samsung come from the same source. They have a joint venture company called S-LCD Corporation based in South Korea that makes the LCD panels for both companies. Cheeky guys, no?

Regarding dependability, factories to make panels are extremely expensive. The investment is close to 2 billion dollars. Does not really matter where they are manufactured. The quality of production will be very highly controlled, irrespective of the geographical location. For example, Hyundai cars will the same whether manufactured in Korea or India. Actually Hyundai models manufactured in India (i10) are used in Europe.

The LCD panels have a life span of about 50,000 hours before they start deteriorating, if at all. That is about 17 years if you use the panel for 8 hours every day of the year.

Samsung is a world leader in LCD TVs. They cannot afford to use 'inferior' components. Actually I would not be surprised if they use better parts than their Japanese brethren !!

You can buy and enjoy either model without any worry. If you cannot make out any difference in auditioning, then budget (after hard bargaining), payment mode, warranty, dealer support, local service support, etc., must be considered to decide.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. Your comments have really helped me in narrowing down my choice further. So it will be Samsung 610 for me. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

well samsung also sources its panels from CMO and sony also sources from AU optronics.
the 37inch sony for example has a au optronic panel where the samsung has a CMO panel,and the 40inch ,32inch panels are also outsourced by samsung and sony,although the sony which outsources a AU optronic panel is much better then the CMO panel which samsung outsources.
in sony only V and S series lcd might have a AU optonics panel,the W and X series have a S lcd which is a joint venture b/w samsung and sony .

well samsung also sources its panels from CMO and sony also sources from AU optronics. the 37inch sony for example has a au optronic panel where the samsung has a CMO panel,and the 40inch ,32inch panels are also outsourced by samsung and sony,although the sony which outsources a AU optronic panel is much better then the CMO panel which samsung outsources. in sony only V and S series lcd might have a AU optonics panel,the W and X series have a S lcd which is a joint venture b/w samsung and sony .

Thanks for the info Adder. CMO and AUO are good companies.

I just checked their web sites. Neither of them seem to make 40" panels, at least as per their web sites. CMO seems to make only 37, 42, 47, and 56 for Full HD. Similarly AUO seems to make 37, 42, 46, and 65. If these information are correct, Samsung's 40 incher must be coming from elsewhere.

But even if the panels come from these companies, they are backed by Samsung's and Sony testing, electronics, and warranty. So I am sure there is nothing to worry about.

Cheers.

And kapz, just for your information Samsung is a bigger company than Sony. It is the world's leading consumer electronics company. You don't really need to have any apprehensions about their quality, and if the panels look equally good to you, it makes sense to go with the one that has more features and costs less.

Kapil,

Welcome to HiFiVision.

The Samsung model is LA40A610. Is this correct. The model number you specified does not exist.

The Samsung uses the Series 6 panel and is about the latest in the market.

In terms of specs both Sony and Samsung are nearly identical. So it is a question of you watching both TVs and deciding which one you like. The clincher will be in high speed motion, where I feel (IMO) the Samsung may have a bit of an advantage as it has a response time of 5ms whereas the Sony has a response time of 8ms.

Cheers

Hi,

Why not talk abt Panasonic?

Today I tested Samsung,Sony & Panasonic.

To me with picture Quality-(sharpness,colour,Blacklevels)

No.1 Panasonic (32le8)
No.2 Samsung series 6
No.3 Sony W & V series

According to specifications-

No.1 Sam 6
2 Sony
3 Pan

My Question to all- what is difference in Panasonic Indian model & UK one?

Indian- 32LE8
32LX80
32LX800

UK- 32LZD80
32LZD800

Why I ask is they are Highly Reccomended by HiFi mag.
I know speci. can differ,but panal & qualitywise are they same?

Thanks for the info Adder. CMO and AUO are good companies.

I just checked their web sites. Neither of them seem to make 40" panels, at least as per their web sites. CMO seems to make only 37, 42, 47, and 56 for Full HD. Similarly AUO seems to make 37, 42, 46, and 65. If these information are correct, Samsung's 40 incher must be coming from elsewhere.

But even if the panels come from these companies, they are backed by Samsung's and Sony testing, electronics, and warranty. So I am sure there is nothing to worry about.

Cheers.
well yes they do have quality control but samsung used to dump CMO based LCD particularly the 32inch ones and if u had seen the AVforums.uk people who had bought the samsung lcd were pissed off to see they got a CMO based panel,noticble by the higher contrast shift and color washout.in india all the places i had seen their Bordeux rangle of 32inch LCDs a year back had a CMO based panel if u look behing the TV u will notice a letter C in the sticker at the back,and also in their lcd monitors.samsung also sources from AUO but to a much lesser extent compared to CMO.

There seems to be a spanner in the works. After I made up my mind on Samsung 610, it seems stocks are not available for 10 days!!!! Now i would say 10 days is a long time in technology market. Seems i would have 2 stick with sony v series. I am not clear about panel qualities, can you please elaborate? Thanks. Can some1 please demystify Digital Media Port and Bravia Sync available on V series? They do not look like USB 2.0 options.

Hey spiro,

For Panasonic....LZ means Full HD, and LX and LE are HD Ready. That's the basic difference.

Yeah Kapz, do check out Panasonic also.

Hi,

How would you like to vote. Sam,Pan & sony?

Today I carried own DVDs,picture was ok with all model with composite.
Really confusing to buy LCD.

Kapz,

I had to make a similar choice recently to buy a 46" LCD - between Sony W series, V Series and the Samsung 5 series/ 6 series. Finally bought the Samsung 5 series and am very happy with it. Brilliant picture with upscaled SD DVDs! Even my Tata Sky looks decent for about 10' viewing distance

My choice was led by the fact that Samsung's price was atleast 30% lower than Sony for similar or better features & Samung's service is very good.

I am not sure how you found the prices similar. You might be comparing a lower model of Sony with a higher one in Samsung.

Cheers!

There seems to be a spanner in the works. After I made up my mind on Samsung 610, it seems stocks are not available for 10 days!!!! Now i would say 10 days is a long time in technology market. Seems i would have 2 stick with sony v series. I am not clear about panel qualities, can you please elaborate? Thanks. Can some1 please demystify Digital Media Port and Bravia Sync available on V series? They do not look like USB 2.0 options.

well bravia SYNC is a term used by sony for HDMI CEC ,take for eg u buy a dvd player quipped with HDMI CEC and u have connected to a sony bravia tv,now using ur tv remote u can control the dvd player or using ur dvd player remote u can control the TV,so not all function of the remote will work but u can mostly switch on and off the devices but its more optimized for sony products.
digital media port may be this will help TDM-BT1 : Digital Media Port : Home Audio Accessories : Sony India

There seems to be a spanner in the works. After I made up my mind on Samsung 610, it seems stocks are not available for 10 days!!!!

Kapz, when you like something, waiting for 10 days is nothing much. Place an order, give a token advance if 500Rs or something. Before you know, the dealer will call you and say the TV is ready for delivery.

After all this research and discussions, don't compromise with yourself.

Cheers

Kapz,

I had to make a similar choice recently to buy a 46" LCD - between Sony W series, V Series and the Samsung 5 series/ 6 series. Finally bought the Samsung 5 series and am very happy with it. Brilliant picture with upscaled SD DVDs! Even my Tata Sky looks decent for about 10' viewing distance

My choice was led by the fact that Samsung's price was atleast 30% lower than Sony for similar or better features & Samung's service is very good.

I am not sure how you found the prices similar. You might be comparing a lower model of Sony with a higher one in Samsung.

Cheers!

Hi Anand,

I m also in two minds,whether to go for Sam5,6 or Pan LX800.

I wld like to ask you abt upscaling with your set.
Do it upscale DVD player connected through composite ?ie without
connecting HDMI?

any particular reason as to why you are not considering hitachi, panasonic, sharp or toshiba?

is it because sony and samsung are easily available in every store one walks into?

would be nice to know what others think about these other brands!

The Digital Media Port is quite pointless, and please do not make the mistake of buying a Sony V series over a Samsung 5 or 6 series.....the Samsung 5 and 6 are Full HD while the V series is HD Ready. The V series is identical to the S series, except that it looks less crappy, and has this "digital media port".

Bravia Sync is actually SOny's name for a feature that is available on all(?) HDMI CEC compliant devices. Essentially it can transmit remote commands over HDMI... For instance I use the remote control of my Sony DVD player to control my Samsung Plasma...limited functionality, but it's useful. There's no need to buy your DVD player and display froom the same manufacturer if both are CEC compliant.

10 days is nothing much for an investment like this. Your patience will be rewarded.

All three are very very good brands making very good televisions....Sony and Samsung are known to have an advantage in contrast levels, whereas the Panasonic is known to have an advantage in colour reproduction....in the 2007 line-up the panasonics were noticeably superior to sony and samsung....that gap has been bridged, if not entirely, at least for the most part by the 2008 line-up from Sony and Samsung, whereas Panasonic has not shown a commensurate improvement, so now in terms of quality, all are comparable, and the best part is that you won't regret going for any of them. Compare them by playing stuff over HDMI if you can, that's the best test. Also test Tata Sky using composite, and see how the scaler on the TV handles that compressed mess of a picture that the Tata Sky STB puts out....

Hi,

How would you like to vote. Sam,Pan & sony?

Today I carried own DVDs,picture was ok with all model with composite.
Really confusing to buy LCD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back