Schiit gungnir or audio-gd DAC 19

the gumby multibit upgrade
doesnt really change the sound signature of the dac

I've wondered about that. I've wondered also how different, or more-of-the-same, the much praised Yggy actually is.

@Thad
you may like a tube dac ( maybe something like a LM 502 or a Skylaa - Ouch! )

for various reasons, some practical, some bias-based, and others amounting to just personal choice (I won't hit the thread with trying to argue those points) I choose to remain with solid state, and, ideally (practical reason), solid state that does not run too hot.

I have considered, but not heard, X-Sabre, Grace, Lavry. Recently I have been thinking about Emotiva, because they come at prices I can afford. Guess what (sideline topic): The Emotiva XDA-2 is twice the price from the local Indian distributor.

The more expensive Emotiva (Stealth something) might be more "hifi" --- and might be a very good deal at the US price, but probably the same local multiplier will apply. Actually, have read a couple of very good reports about this DAC. If I had a friend coming from USA...

Hi Thad E Ginathom,

As Magma said, try the Line Magnetic DAC. I have one, and it is also reviewed a lot and available from Bangalore. I can understand you want to keep it totally solid state, but try and see if it waves the magic music wand for you! Yes but if it is a mental no, no, that's also fair!

I really liked your comments on the Gungnir...shouty (where you keep turning the volume up and down to compensate constantly) is such an irritation!

The Chord DACs also seem good value at their price - a bunch of users in Delhi (including Panditji) who seem happy with them. Perhaps they can advice you on how they got theirs.

However, to the original query on Audio-gd, I have also heard Jai's DAC 19. Its actually a pretty decent DAC, but I found that it was not a gigantic step up from the Musical Fidelity VDAC which I owned then - it was a step up nonetheless. Positives include a more solid sound and if I remember right, a little more delicate and rounded off highs, but not the ultimate in transparency.

If your overall system is a bit bright, it can compensate and bring magic. You will definitely listen to music with it!

Audio-gd make their living shipping Dacs around the world - so it appears that they will do a good job (positive reviews on that as well if you google).

Good luck!

Vivek

Last edited:
This thread was explicitly for making the choice between two DACs. I voted for DAC-19 anniversary edition which you should not mix up with the older version. My opinion was based on ownership of different DACs (including Gungnir, Rega). I still have Audio-gd Fun version A with USB-32 (regarded as better than Version B) which I compared with Rega. Rega was more resolving, but 'organic', 'musical' both terms go better with Audio-gd.

Now about Gungnir, I was impressed very much initially with it's presentation but later after long auditions I experienced grainy details which was fatiguing for my taste ( and system). Personally I was cautious about Sabre chip as most of the time critics complained about it's stronger or high energy mid-hi frequency presence. Still I bought NFB-3 (2014) as I had confidence with Audio-gd product for their overall polite and musical signature.

Yes, I had better experience with NFB-3 at almost half price of Gungnir for it's musicality which 'dheeraj' mentioned. Yet I wanted to taste some other brands as well (you can tag my habit as Audiophile itch) but fund is limited for keeping all the DACs together to taste them side by side.

Recently I am enjoying Pioneer N-50 and expecting Arcam irDAC within next week. So it is never ending game for me till now. I will not derail this thread discussing those DACs. Till now Audio-gd Fun version A with USB-32 implementation (which is Wolfson 8741 based, have DIR9001 as SPDIF receiver) is a keeper DAC for me, with Etymotic ER-4S (with USB input) it is the sound I am pursuing for my main system.

As spdif receiver I have used both wm8805 and DIR9001 module (Audio-gd NFB-3 gave me that switching option). Simple fact is if you can satisfy yourself with files up to 24/96 for spdif inputs then there is no competition with DIR9001, however usb inputs (USB-32) always support highest resolution files available at present in the market.

Final word is, thread starter wanted a choice, I voted for DAC-19 anniversary edition (no wonder it is loaded with DIR9001 for spdif) from my experience about those brands.

Last edited:
I have never tried an NFB but tons of components on circuit board worries me and again this is my opinion. Personally, i think, the folks at schitt understand sound and recording which is very evident with their entry level Fulla.

To, srisaikat, next time i am in kolkata, will drop by to your place (of course if you allow) to get a taste of NFB.

I have never tried an NFB but tons of components on circuit board worries me and again this is my opinion. Personally, i think, the folks at schitt understand sound and recording which is very evident with their entry level Fulla.

To, srisaikat, next time i am in kolkata, will drop by to your place (of course if you allow) to get a taste of NFB.

Sorry, I sold the NFB-3 to dheeraj.

I really liked your comments on the Gungnir...shouty (where you keep turning the volume up and down to compensate constantly) is such an irritation!

Exactly: I found myself reaching for the volume button to turn it down, and then having to turn it up again and then...

However, I can't claim credit for the word. In fact, I was wondering how on earth to express, even to myself, what I experiencing. I looked for the experience of others, and found this one from a member of Changstar, and it rang bells immediately.

Maybe, with the ODAC, I got used to the very thing that some people hate about Sabre DACs! I find it sharp, incisive, but not punishing. The LH Labs Geek Out 450 is also not punishing, and also gives me the details, and, perhaps gives me a fuller, more rounded sound at the same time. I wonder if I could blind AB the GO from the ODAC. I haven't really ABed them at all as in "critical listening." I think I could blind-AB the Gungnir from the ODAC: it goes beyond hearing into the area of [other???] sensation.

Apologies for bringing in equipment that was not part of the original question. I haven't heard anything from from Audio-GD, so I can only try to illustrate my Gungnir reaction with reference to other stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions. There's a couple of other off-topic DACs that interested me, then I spent the money on non-audio stuff. I now have some bookcases, instead of heaps of books around the house, and a dear friend has a nice 80th birthday present. I've gone off the boil for audio purchase now. On the backburner for a while :cool:

Best wishes to Audiolake for his new DAC :)

Gungnir and shouty???? Interesting...I did not find ant such relevant trait. I hope you guys understand that every recording has different level of sound and if rest of the chain is not good or compatible, things might sound the way you do not like. I do not want to disagree with anyone but at the same time does not want a prospective owner of Gungnir to take and carry a wrong impression from this thread.

Sounds bit amusing, might be the combination, but I never found Gungir DAC bright, this the DAC I kept for the longest time with out thinking of Selling. Still undecided about letting it go, but wanted to move to high end DACs. I have tried many DACs MF M1DAC, ODAC, Audio GD, Lampizator Level 3, still Gungnir holds againt these. Its defintely not bright, Audio GD bass is good but you will not enjoy the highs. Gungnir is much better than these two. ODAC is very good value for money that I agree but it can't be compared with Gungnir. Just compared Gungnir with Lampizator Level 3, both have its positives and negatives, but can't trash out Gungnir, Level3 is 3 times costlier than Gungnir. I have second thoughts of selling this DAC now after comparing it some high end DACs. Just my 2 cents.

Gungnir and shouty???? Interesting...I did not find ant such relevant trait. I hope you guys understand that every recording has different level of sound and if rest of the chain is not good or compatible, things might sound the way you do not like. I do not want to disagree with anyone but at the same time does not want a prospective owner of Gungnir to take and carry a wrong impression from this thread.

Neither would I. That is why I urge listening but don't recommend buying blind, on this one.

In India, of course, probably the only way to do that is a no-obligations used item --- or seek out a friend with one, even if it means a little travel.

The guy I nearly bought it off was perfectly happy with it, and only had it for sale since he bought the Yggy.

Thanks everyone for the inputs and suggestions. Does anyone know how many days it will take for me to receive the product if i order from audio-gd website

I had ordered two DACs and one module from Audio-gd. To reach my address in Kolkata each of those took about 12 to 18 days. Import duties will be collected on the time of delivery. But every time I was informed by local postman about that amount. You will also able to track the shipment (they offer EMS service for India) as per experience so far.

Last edited:
I had ordered two DACs and one module from Audio-gd. To reach my address in Kolkata each of those took about 12 to 18 days. Import duties will be collected on the time of delivery. But every time I was informed by local postman about that amount. You will also able to track the shipment (they offer EMS service for India) as per experience so far.

Hi Saikat,

Can you please share based on your experience how the audio gd compares to irdac?

Thanks
Satya

I like the irDAC because it brings immediate fun to any listening sessions. I never found any DAC to present high frequency that sweet like irDAC. The mid also sound very nice. A type of snappy rhythm is there.

But it has a flaw, may be it is due to poor (wall-wart) power supply. I can sense the noise floor with irDAC, minor textures & layers get sometime covered by that noise floor, where as Audio-gd has more depth and blacker background, most of the time it sound very graceful & polished (or civilized) without emphasize on particular frequency. Sweet & detailed mid as well as low is their strong point. I never heard female vocal so detailed and nice ever after using NFB-3 from Audio-gd. Analog sound can easily tagged with Audio-gd.

Now it depends on one's taste and sound signature of rest of gears which he will choose.

Last edited:
Views please - on whether the Bifrost 2 is nearly as good as gumby or is it exaggerated? Already read through 1000 pages on SBAF, Headfi, etc. where its claimed BF2 is a mini yggy.

Also how does it compare to Denafrips Ares 2?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back