Schiit Modi DAC any experience ??

hemant
you are upgrading from a Valb to a Schitt Modi

very sideways step sir

I have noticed something very common in most headphone oriented dacs

they may be neutral or accurate or flavoured

but one thing thats i have always found lacking is imaging and good soundstaging
especially depth
As said earlier im not generalising
its just something i felt having heard a couple

the Schitt Bifrost may be a better bet - ive not heard one though

I advice you move a level up with either the parasound,stello ( used ) - old but gold , peter daniel NOS - another old but nice sounding one,Audiolab Mdac, m1 dac or something similar

I believe forum member Killerbrain had the same DAC before he upgraded to Audio-GD,He also has started a thread on the new DAC and how it fares in comparison with the Schiit Modi DAC.

Please go through that thread and if further any doubts I guess you can PM him.

hemant
you are upgrading from a Valb to a Schitt Modi

very sideways step sir

I have noticed something very common in most headphone oriented dacs

they may be neutral or accurate or flavoured

but one thing thats i have always found lacking is imaging and good soundstaging
especially depth
As said earlier im not generalising
its just something i felt having heard a couple

the Schitt Bifrost may be a better bet - ive not heard one though

I advice you move a level up with either the parasound,stello ( used ) - old but gold , peter daniel NOS - another old but nice sounding one,Audiolab Mdac, m1 dac or something similar

Nama / All

Thanks
BTW The Valab sold long back sorry did not upgraded my signature.
Valab was good but DRY . Of late I am realizing I do not like dry sound ..that is why I said bass heavy ..
Many rigs I heard and many are claimed to be perfectly true to source.. this is what audiophile sound is like and I found they are not of taste.
It is like I am NOT into beer - drink occasionally I tried some premium/semi premium beers like Ashi , Corona, Draft at Dulali , Carlesberg still I prefer Haywards 5000 . I do not developed much taste of wine. But for whiskeys I gravitate towards single malts and against blends like Chivas and Black label I prefer American Jack Daniels.

Personal taste I say..
So for DAC it is best to audition but that luxury is not available . Esp for low end DACS. Also currently my budget is low in fact lower than US$ 100.
I am planning to use my old netbook/ laptop as music source. Music will be on an external portable drive. May use audiophile linux ot Win XP + Foobar .

Also this will be attached to my main system currenly Sonodyne Pre and M Audio Powered speakers . Also planning to use same source with very small speakers in other room as portable boom box

Hemant

that budget
DIY will give yyou best bang for buck

get a fiully assembled module and dump it into accab

that budget
DIY will give yyou best bang for buck

get a fiully assembled module and dump it into accab

Sorry to be off topic...

Even I was looking for a fully assembled DAC for spdif/coaxial to RCA (not necessary USB). No case just the assembled board should be sufficient. Anything I can consider in less than $99.

thanks

sorry to be off topic
Can you please guide me to a DAC which can be connected to hand held devices like ipod, sansa clip, smart phone etc by their respective 3.5mm out jacks, or is there any cable or a device which can enable me to connect these things to the DAC. I am specifically interested in rDac by Arcam, can it be connected via 3.5 mm jack to co-axial, because coaxial gives best upsampling.
My question is can i get an adaptor or a cable that has a 3.5mm STEREO male on one end and a RCA coaxial male on the other end. in India please I don't want the hassles of importing one via borderlinx and all
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
sorry to be off topic
Can you please guide me to a DAC which can be connected to hand held devices like ipod, sansa clip, smart phone etc by their respective 3.5mm out jacks, or is there any cable or a device which can enable me to connect these things to the DAC. I am specifically interested in rDac by Arcam, can it be connected via 3.5 mm jack to co-axial, because coaxial gives best upsampling.
My question is can i get an adaptor or a cable that has a 3.5mm STEREO male on one end and a RCA coaxial male on the other end. in India please I don't want the hassles of importing one via borderlinx and all
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks

HI AFAIK

Above device does not give digital out for DAC through 3.5 mm out.
1) Sansa Clip - No provision of Digital out
2) Ipod - There are Dacs Cables which tap digital out through dock/charging connector. Also there is camera attachment which I THINK can be used to connect SMOE dacs - please check with other forum members / nert
3) Many smartphones support OTG cable ( Read on net ) where you can connet your android smartphone to DAC .Many Nokia phones also supported

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back