Seagate Freeagent Theater+ vs Seagate GoFlex Media Player!!!

freeekychakra

Hi fellas...can anyone please update me on the differences between FAT+ and GoFlex TV Media players from an Indian perspective! I understand the price difference is like Goflex costing 1.5 times the FAT+. What extra thing does it add? is it really better? or its just a marketting gimmick...
Thanks!

Free Agent theatre plus and the Go Flex have different functionalities and the Go Flex hard disks come with Firewire, USB 3 support for faster transfers. Maybe your query would be better understood if you referred to it in full instead of FAT+ which I initially took to mean a reference to disk formats!

Last edited:
I got a Seagate Go Flex media player recently for a friend ($100 shipped from Amazon), what specifically do you need to know? It has all of the normal inputs and outputs, audio out, digital, HDMI and component. They dont provide n HDMI cable , only the component and 2 channel audio outputs. It's supposed to be quite good, according to the reviews, though I havent used it. The form facor is much smaller than the PH, since you cant put a HDD inside it like the PH.

Free Agent theatre plus and the Go Flex have different functionalities and the Go Flex hard disks come with Firewire, USB 3 support for faster transfers. Maybe your query would be better understood if you referred to it in full instead of FAT+ which I initially took to mean a reference to disk formats!

Yes, dont think that there are any other major differences between the players apart from the faster disk transfers on the Go Flex. I recently bought the Free Agent Theater+ and am happy with it!

Thanks all for ur replies...basically what i want to know is that since seagate goflex media player costs 1.5 times the seagate freeagent theater +, is there any major difference which warrants this difference like smoother playback or better performance or better options and format support or anything like that on the goflex? Im aware that goflex hard drives are usb 3.0 optional but im not talking abt the hard drives as im talking abt the standalone version of the players. Basically i have both the freeagent desk and the goflex hard drives, basically i was wondering if its worth the investment of buying the goflex media player over the theater+.
i am a very basic user, and i dont think till late next year or so, usb 3.0 is going to be in full fledged use. Im using my goflex 2tb hard drive but have never used the the optional usb 3.0 tilll date as most of the even 2010 models of hardwares where ive used it on doesnt have any usb 3.0 compatibility.
The goflex hard drive comes with usb 3.0 optional but does the goflex media players come with usb 3.0...i dont think so....plus all the televisions from any major brand like sony, lg and samsung, they all come with usb 2.0, none with usb 3.0 but in any case we all use HDMI 1.3 for that purpose.
So to cut things short, should one invest the xtra buck on the goflex media player or is theater+ the way to go?
@ stevie - sorry for the short terminology but the title has the full name in it:p

thanks...

freekychakra,

If you are thinking about an upgrade and have the money, go for other media player which supports 7.1 audio. I mean DTS HD and Dolby HD. If you are confused about USB 3.0 ask yourself the question do you have the correct hardware to support 3.0 eg computer etc. If you have then think of this player but it wont play 7.1 audio. As of now i have not seen any problem with the movie playback with USB 2.0. You decide if you have the budget whether you want faster transfers or 7.1 audio. One more thing Theater + also does not have 7.1 audio.

Cheers,
sid.

Thanks...but i searched for popcorn hour ... none available in my city...kolkata!any idea where i can avail them...also i found 3 different models...which do u suggest? also any other suggetions more widely available....here i found the seagate model, iomega and some other company i havent heard of!

Back end , both have the same processor- Realtek chip. The design and UI has been modified. Moreover , goflex can support USB 3.0 data transfer. additional menu has been included to access web content.

Can have a look at
Seagate GoFlex TV HD Media Player Review

else , you can google for Go flex Vs Theatre + , and you will be flooded with reviews and more technical details.

cheers
:clapping:

You can got with xtreamer. It will play all the video formats plus all the 7.1 streams. Just check in the xtreamer thread abt the service center in your area and the service issues if you face one. If this is not in your budget then the next best thing is WD, though this player wont play all the formats. I suggest these 2 players coz this is my opinion. There may be other players also, but i found these to be good.

Cheers,
Sid.

You can got with xtreamer. It will play all the video formats plus all the 7.1 streams.

If this is not in your budget then the next best thing is WD, though this player wont play all the formats.

Cheers!

WD Live is heavily reviewed in all the newspapers, magazines etc as the 'best'. Maybe they should say VFM

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back