Second innings with vinyl

prem

For the last 2 months, i have been actively looking for a vinyl set up. I wanted an open, life-like sound from the set up. Exchanged mails and spoke to vinyl experts in Germany, Australia, UK, USA, Hong Kong and our very own Rajiv and Malvai and Jacob from Rethm, who is quite knowledgable about vinyl

The short listed set ups were

Dr Feickert Woodpecker table with their 12 inch arm. Recommended cartridge Ortofon Rondo Bronze and recommended phono stage Monk Audio

Technics SL 1200 modded by Zu Audio with Rega 1000 arm and KAB power supply. Recommended cartridge Zu DL 103 Grade 2 Prime and recommended phono stage Jasmine Audio

Lenco L 75 completely modded by Jean Nantais with Rega 1000 arm. Recommended cartridge Koetsu Black and recommended phonostage Allnic 1200

Salvation table and T3Pro linear tracking arm from Trans-Fi. Recommended cartridge Denon DL 103 and recommended phonostage Ray Samuels Nighthawk

Thorens 124 completely modded by Simone Lucchetti with their supplied arm.
Recommended cartridge Denon DL 304. No recommended phonostage

EMT 938 with 929 arm and TSD15 cartridge and built in phono, cleaned and restored to original factory specs by Louis Dusch, a former engineer at EMT.

In all probability i will be going in for the EMT 938. The other option is the Salvation table set up.

I thought i would share my short list as it could be of use to someone looking at a vinyl set up.

Last edited:
Thanks Ajay. Want to get it right this time. Last time around did not do much homework.

I dont know about your first innings. Were you bold out for a duck or what? :D

The setups you have mentioned are well researched ones. I am looking for my debut. I want to score a match winning innings!

Hi Taurean Bull

I have been reading your thread. You could also look at used direct drive tables. You can try Vinyl Revolution. They have several used dd tables in your budget. Do not know if they are 220v 50Hz. They have a Sansui SR 929 which is quite a killer table.

Hi Prem
you have named a number of great TTs
out of the ones that I know I would o
blindly for the Nantis Lenco

cheers

Hi Taurean Bull

I have been reading your thread. You could also look at used direct drive tables. You can try Vinyl Revolution. They have several used dd tables in your budget. Do not know if they are 220v 50Hz. They have a Sansui SR 929 which is quite a killer table.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not been able to convince myself for buying a used TT. As you must have gone through my thread that I am going to UK in a week's time. There are several places where they offer good used TTs fully services with tonearms and cartridges and a 6months warranty. They look awesome and I know they have been path breaking. Have a look at these:-

.: Linn Sondek LP12[LP12] [price varies] :.

index 2

For a noob like me Thorens 124 or 125 or LP12 are the ones that appeal. Got to sort out this conflict before I land in UK. Hope to see some more help from the forum.

Hi Odyssey

Agreed Nantais Lenco is very good. Apparently there was a shootout between a EMT 930 and a Nantais Lenco. While a lot of people preferred the Lenco, the speaker designer at the shootout preferred the EMT. Also Jean himself has said that the closest to a master tape sound has been on the EMT 930. The 930 is twice the cost of the 938 but the 938 is very very close in sound to the 930. The Nantais Lenco combo is also the most expensive of the short listed ones.

According to people in the know the Salvation table with the T3Pro arm in my short list should be the best sounding of the lot. Its also the cheapest combo. About 2500 pounds for the table, arm, cartridge, phono stage. My only worry is i am not sure will be able to set it up.

Last edited:
Hi Taurean Bull

Go for a Thorens 124 or a new Technics SL 1200. And later you can upgrade them without breaking your bank.

Yeah I am planning for SL 1200 but looks like it would be 1210 because the 1200 new models are not available. At least I have not been able to find out any where on net in UK. May be if I visit the store personally I may find.

It looks like a matter of colour, but I could never understand why the black one would be costlier than the popular silver one. Probably there are some more differences between the two.

Great going Prem. Wish you a better outing in the second innings. Whichever drive you choose, I hope you soon get bowled over :D.

Where are you sourcing the Thorens 124 from? How old is it (I think this particular TT came out in the 50's)? Would you mind sharing its price with the arm you mentioned (but without the cartridge)?

Regards.

Hi Asit

I was getting it modded by Simone Lucchetti. So i was planning to buy one on ebay italy. You can get one in good condition for about 1000 euros. Modding it and changing the plinth cost another 540 euros. A modded Thorens 124 by Simone Lucchetti is as good as a stock EMT 938 in sonics and much cheaper too.

Last edited:
prem
You wound up your first innings because you felt the Esoteric was giving you everything you wanted. The fact that you disposed of your huge collection of vinyl's seemed to be a decisive move in favour of cds. What made you begin a second innings? Do you now feel that the Esoteric is lacking something?

No Ajay
The Esoteric is very good. I am very happy with it. For pre 1980 recordings i still feel vinyl will sound better. The Esoteric is an outstanding cd player. I rushed into my first purchase and it was a no contest. This time around i have done a lot of homework. I think it will work out fine. Getting vinyls is not a huge problem for me.

Prem,
I somehow feel that it would be better to listen to 'em first before pulling the trigger...
A TT has many variables - cart, tonearm, materials, phono... it all has to come together with your set up... if it doesn't, it'll just end up putting you off...

Prem,
I somehow feel that it would be better to listen to 'em first before pulling the trigger...
A TT has many variables - cart, tonearm, materials, phono... it all has to come together with your set up... if it doesn't, it'll just end up putting you off...

But I guess there are limited option to audition in mumbai. So going by reviews is only way.
This is interesting. As you have clear audio I think Clear audio, project, rega are easily available to audition. What brands are available in mumbai to audition ? generally speaking does reviews help ? Once you get TT of your liking one can always tweak phonostage/amp/speakers. Right ?

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back