Seeking advice for A/V receiver compatible to chosen speakers

warewolf4586

Hi

Please bear with me in my post below :)
I am planning to setup a Budget HT system for my music and movies needs, with primary requirements to have a future proof receiver and setup a good system in place now with some expansion done later. Buying and taking here from America.
As of now decided to buy a Atmos capable 7.2 reciever(budget one's only have 5.1.2 Atmos) with Video upscale capability. With 2 pair of Bookshelfs (Front and Surround/Rear) and a Centre.
After some basics study and reviews, I shortlisted Following Components (primary reason were good reviews and good discounts that I got) :

A) For Front and Surround (Bought all, have to keep 2 of them.. 1 for Front and 1 for Surround):

1) Polk Audio Rti A1 - $196
2) Klipsch R-15M - $125
3) Pioneer BS-22-LR - $65

B) For Centre (Bought all, Have to keep 1):
1) Pioneer C22 - $51
2) Polk Audio CS10 - $99

C) Receiver (will buy refurbished) :
1) Onkyo NR646 - $289
2) Pioneer S910W - $319
3) Onkyo NR747 - $399

Now here I am pretty much confused on which combination to finalise :

1) Was freezed on Pioneer S910w but variuos reviews mention that these do no go well with Warm speaker sets. It's very good for Movies and not very good for music.
So, the competition Onkyo NR646 came in that actually has very slightly more feature than Denon.
2) Now Onkyo has impedance 6-16ohms whereas Denon has 4-16Ohm, and the bought pioneers happen to have 6ohm impedance with minimum inching towards 4ohms. So, going safe I again have to consider option with lower impedance range also covered (do not want any of these components to get damaged). So, now considering a bit on upper side, shortlisted Onkyo NR747 which is 4ohm certified, and a bit of more features(only 4ohm impedance being of my primary use, with probably some more quality additions), with about $100 costlier than other 2.
3) Am I over confusing it and Just buy anyone of denon or onkyo.. no review says bad about anyone of them, but some different opinions on Auto setup Audyssay silver & AutoEq.

Looking for advise and plan to buy receiver by this weekend and next week and return whatever is not required.
Thanks in advance !

C) Receiver (will buy refurbished) :
1) Onkyo NR646 - $289
2) Pioneer S910W - $319
3) Onkyo NR747 - $399

Looking for advise and plan to buy receiver by this weekend and next week and return whatever is not required. Thanks in advance !

I hope you meant Denon S910w as Pioneer s910w. Pick Denon. Any other refurbished AVR's?

For the speakers, you have already bought it..

How are you going to place the front speakers? On TV stand (or) separate stands? If you are going to wall mount the surrounds, then you need to consider this option before returning..

I hope you meant Denon S910w as Pioneer s910w. Pick Denon. Any other refurbished AVR's?

How are you going to place the front speakers? On TV stand (or) separate stands? If you are going to wall mount the surrounds, then you need to consider this option before returning..

My mistake.. Denon S910W.
Other refurbished Atmos recievers not much studied. Others with Same features are costly.. like Marantz sr5010 is $500 for refurbished.

Speakers are going to be Wall-mount as of now.. so I believe that would mean that I shall not go heavy/big for these speakers, and can settle for max. 5.25" one's.
Later addition of a subwoofer(10"-12") will work for lower frequencies.. Right ?
Further I have to add Ceiling speakers later for atmos effect.

I still have time to return and order other.. Will return the speakers which do not fit into such configuration or can not complement others.
Like I read many good reviews of Klipsch R15M, but not the same story from there in-forum experiences.
Like Polk Rti A1 has good reviews, so either i will retain these and maybe later these move back as surround and I can have bigger Front. But if none of them suits such.. some other option needs to be looked at.

Comments ??

Yes.. it's Denon S910W.
Other refurbished are Deenon x2200 in $379, Marantz $499.

Currently I will do a wall mount.. and I think it would mean some restrictions, like looking that these speakers are Front firing and also in wall mount do I need to restrict to smaller drivers ?
I plan to move these fronts towards back or surround when I happen to get bigger fronts (floor standing or big speakers). Will add ceiling speakers in some time for Atmos.

My mistake.. Denon S910W.
Other refurbished Atmos recievers not much studied. Others with Same features are costly.. like Marantz sr5010 is $500 for refurbished.

Speakers are going to be Wall-mount as of now..

Later addition of a subwoofer(10"-12") will work for lower frequencies.. Right ?

Further I have to add Ceiling speakers later for atmos effect.

Will add ceiling speakers in some time for Atmos.

Since you are starting from scratch, few things first for your consideration.. Give a though and proceed..

- Since you are looking at refurbished models, would suggest you to pick least expensive AVR with Audyssey XT32 feature.
- If AVR with XT32 is expensive, then consider AVR with XT. (Denon & Marantz are the only AVR with this feature right now).
- Though Atmos/Dts x are important, better to have this along with above feature.
- Dual subs seems to be better in any room. Consider going dual.
- Since you are going to wall mount all the speakers, look for a smallest 2-way bookshelf /satellite speaker, which has wall mount provision. Leave the bass to the dual (identical) subs to do the duty.
- There is no real need for a bigger speaker/ Floor-stander, if you have dual subs.
- Ceiling mount speakers would be ideal if you have the flexibility, if not there is alternate location (front heights).

Suggest you to list the AVR models & lovely speaker deals that you have access to :eek:hyeah:

Thanks Elengos

The deals I have taken or have eye on are listed in my 1st post of thread.

I remember, a FM had bought Denon x3300 for around $550 brand new on amazon.com sometime back.. Suggest you to wait until Christmas (If you are aval until there) and then take a shot at AVR..

If not, from the options you have listed, Denon would do better in my opinion..

BS - In case of wall mount, Polk Rti might be better option as the other two BS don't have that option..

Center - Polk CS 100 thought not from the same series as Rti, might do good..

I remember, a FM had bought Denon x3300 for around $550 brand new on amazon.com sometime back.. Suggest you to wait until Christmas (If you are aval until there) and then take a shot at AVR..

If not, from the options you have listed, Denon would do better in my opinion..

BS - In case of wall mount, Polk Rti might be better option as the other two BS don't have that option..

Center - Polk CS 100 thought not from the same series as Rti, might do good..

$550 will go way over budget i think.. I could have bought Marantz SR5010 at $499 from a4L if that was fine.

Does Polk Csi series match Rti ? if that is the case than its very costly for now.. maybe I than retain Pioneer C22 and than get matching centres later.
The money I save here probably can allow me to get better Fronts.. like FEF Q100/300, or Elac B6's... Have not heard of Polk's but have seen very good reviews for this set.. Please share if anyone has any experience with it..

$550 will go way over budget i think.. I could have bought Marantz SR5010 at $499 from a4L if that was fine.

If it doesn't work, pick the ones in your budget..

Does Polk Csi series match Rti ? if that is the case than its very costly for now..

Yes.. Looks like Csi center speaker is for Rti series.. Polk Rti owners should be able can confirm this..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back