Seeking guidance: Pulz/Naim/Lyrita

jenson

hello all, i have in recent times sold most of my hifi ware with just the JBL 4312E remaining in system.

im now in the process of shortlisting an amplifier which i could live for some years if not more..

i have the choice of going with brand new Pulz HA400 with it's pre amp...HA 400 is mightier than their earlier rs250..i have heard this setup and like them quite a bit. it almost has this tube like smoothness with precision and drive of a solid state.

unfortunately, i have not demoed Naim 5i and Lyrita 2A3 before...just keep reading all great reviews.

i intend to keep my JBL 4312 for a longer time, i like them for what it offers. i also notice it needs an efficient amp to drive them. my earlier DIY f5 V2 did well, it sounded refined. however recently i happened to aquire rs100/250 for one of my freind and i ended testing them on my JBL, the pulz could drive them so easily and with control. refinement of F5 V2 was not there, but bass was so much in control and there was a drive to it, which elads me to believe this speaker is heavily dependant on system matching.

i must say i like coloured sound, im pretty sure im not the clinical precision type guy, what however matters is my system should cater everything from
ahmad jamal to slowdive to notorius bi.g to simple minds to ustads of the world...my listening preferences is quite diverse..

any recommendations under 50-60 k that i could consider..any other ideas

The Lyrita will not be able to drive the JBLs. Since you recently sold the DIY First Watt F5 and the matching pre, what is it you didn't like about that sound? I seriously doubt if the options you are looking at will be superior.

The Lyrita will not be able to drive the JBLs. Since you recently sold the DIY First Watt F5 and the matching pre, what is it you didn't like about that sound? I seriously doubt if the options you are looking at will be superior.

Thanks for clearing that doubt Prem, appreciate it.

regarding F5, after comparing it with the pulz, i felt it was not complimenting my speakers in terms of control and drive. i then felt it's probably the pre-amp of pulz which has tone controls, i then drove the F5 thru pulz pre-amp, sound was much better now, matter of fact F5 had much more body and weight in terms of sound, however, switching back to all pulz - i was reaffirmed that pulz was driving those speakers effortlessly, i could sense that an HA400 which i had demoed long time back could be the answer as it had refined sound compared with the RS250..

So Jenson what's clear from your experience is that you need power. You could look at a Job integrated. Nikhil on our forum owns this. They deliver to India. I think it's a 125 watt amp. Bonus is you also get a built in dac which is supposedly pretty decent.

Last edited:
So Jenson what's clear from your experience is that you need power. You could look at a Job integrated. Nikhil on our forum owns this. They deliver to India. I think it's a 125 watt amp. Bonus is you also get a built in dac which is supposedly pretty decent.

seems interesting, however out of my range for now...i can see a naim 5i for 60k on sale.. any idea on how a naim would do..

Naim 5i is a very nice amp. If you had problems with the First Watt F5T, not sure if the Naim will be able to drive your speakers. If you can hear and buy nothing like it

+1 on Job integrated. Though I have not heard it yet, the reviews are great. The specs and inbuilt dac make it superb one box solution. Also, they take care of the customs as well so nothing more to pay other than price from your pocket!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back