seeking suggestion on CD amp combo

V.S.Sreedhara

When I was looking around for a musical system, i was recommeded the following combination: Ambridge Audio CD player: Azur 340C and Marantz Amp, PM 7001 with Mordaunt Short Avant 906i speakers. When Ilistened to the same track on Marantx CD5002, it sounded good too and I could not make out the difference. I listen to classical Indian and Western music, and very occassionally to pop. No hard rock for me. I would like to know between CA and Marantx players, which is better a player. Also, would someone tell me iof CA Azur 640 CD (with MP 3) be a good choice or if it would take away the musial quality of CD. How does a equally powered denon work compared to the above?
I would be much obliged for some considered opinion and suggestion.
yours
sreedhara

When I was looking around for a musical system, i was recommeded the following combination: Ambridge Audio CD player: Azur 340C and Marantz Amp, PM 7001 with Mordaunt Short Avant 906i speakers. When Ilistened to the same track on Marantx CD5002, it sounded good too and I could not make out the difference. I listen to classical Indian and Western music, and very occassionally to pop. No hard rock for me. I would like to know between CA and Marantx players, which is better a player. Also, would someone tell me iof CA Azur 640 CD (with MP 3) be a good choice or if it would take away the musial quality of CD. How does a equally powered denon work compared to the above?
I would be much obliged for some considered opinion and suggestion.
yours
sreedhara

Hi,

Specifications wise the C audio are great for the money. Better than most budget cd players but i could buy either the 540 c V2 or 640 c V2 over the 340 c. Anyway u get deals on all CA products. The marantz amp is decent enough and if ur set on the marantz amp u cant go wrong buying the matching marantz cd too. Earlier they made some superb cd players and some of the current marantz SACD machines are beautifully built.

Why dont u hear both CA and marantz on the same amp and speakers and choose the one that sounds more musical to u. Ignore the current Denon cd players but do hear the NAD cd player. Would be of a similar price and is good too.

Regards

My suggestion -

Marantz CD6002 + PM6002/PM7001 + Mordaunt Short Avant 908i

Heard it many times, its tough to beat this combo when it comes to musicality. Alternatively, you can team it with Rotel RA-04. The What-HiFi guys always suggest this one.

Best regards!

Just try to find out more about the marantz cd players. Heard they are prone to mechanical noise that can ruin ur listening. The ca azur 640c v2 has got the best reviews in all major hifi reviews.

Sreedhara, any of these CDP's are decent enough. You cannot go very much wrong with any. The question is synergy with the rest of the system and your own sound preference and the VFM factor. I personally think upto the price range you are considering, Marantz CD6002 is the best one, did not hear any noticeable mechanical noise to ruin my extensive auditioning some six months ago. Both the Nads 515 and 525 CDP's are also very good. I did not personally like the CA 640c v2 that much, although it used to have great magazine reviews a few years ago. But that's just my opinion. I have not heard the CA 540c, so cannot comment. The Marantz CD 5001 is an old product, heard it briefly at a dealer's place, did not find it impressive (a bit harsh). But sometimes it is available at 11-12K, that can be VFM. It depends what you want and what is your budget. The newer model is the Marantz CD 5003, haven't heard it.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back