Seeking suggestions for HT FS 5.1 setup in <Rs.1 lac in Pune

mayank_khn

Hi

This is to seek suggestions for home theater with floor standers; 5.1 setup in all inclusive price of <Rs.1 lac in Pune.

I will be doing some auditions in Pune soon. However after doing few auditions in Mumbai over weekend, my initial thoughts are

1. Polk Audio (base model) is good value for money - costing 87k including avr and sub woofer

2. Dali sounded very nice but the all inclusive budget is just twice at Rs.2 lac +.

3. PSB, Wharfedale, Tannoy and Focal are other speakers that are still in contention

4. I am confused whether I should buy Denon avr which is more widely available in Mumbai or Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz

5. I am confused whether sub woofer shoould be bought separately? All demos were on sub woofer by the same company.

Thanks in advance!
Mayank

Last edited:
If movies is a priority and you are fine with just okay sounding speakers for music then polk+denon will be the best match. The rti series is better of the polk lineup. Even bookshelves with a subwoofer will be sufficient for movies.

1 Lac is a good budget.. Please share your room dimensions and your entertainment pattern (movies/music/dish/games)..

Pioneer is a an other good brand to consider AVR's... You can take subwoofer which comes in a HT package (or) get one separately as your budget permits..

Thanks guys

Ray - Movies is priority. I also thought polk + denon should be ok. RTI is better but expensive. I would like to avoid bookshelves.

Elan - 20ft * 15ft are the room dimensions. Movies is 50%/music is 30%/HD dish is 20%

Thanks guys

Ray - Movies is priority. I also thought polk + denon should be ok. RTI is better but expensive. I would like to avoid bookshelves.

Elan - 20ft * 15ft are the room dimensions. Movies is 50%/music is 30%/HD dish is 20%

Since 70% of your usage is multichannel, stick with Book shelf + speakers combo to complete your set-up.... When you have subwoofer, a FS will do the same job as BS when the crossover is engaged at 80 Hz in the AVR... So no point spending on a FS in my opinion...

20 feet wide x 15 feet depth ?

Are you open to consider 7.1 system if it is with in your budget ?

Thanks Elan

I did not even think of bookshelf so far. And have taken no demo of the same.

That is correct room dimension.

I am open to 7.1 but general thoughts were that 5.1 should be sufficient. Additionally no one had 7.1 on demo so can't judge.

Thanks Elan

I did not even think of bookshelf so far. And have taken no demo of the same.

That is correct room dimension.

I am open to 7.1 but general thoughts were that 5.1 should be sufficient. Additionally no one had 7.1 on demo so can't judge.

I think BS would suffice your needs.. Try to audition any of the BS & see if that fullfill your needs....

20 feet wide room would be real good for a 7.1 setup with front wide speakers....

Very few dealer's have the room space for > 5.1 Demo.. So they restrict it to 5.1 always...

Anyways i have tried 5/7.1 and 5/7/9.0 setup and now use a 9.0 setup @ home.... The additional channels greatly enhance the movie watching experience.... Once you listen to > 5.1 setups' you wont go back to 5.1 :eek:hyeah:

Don't worry abt lack of 7.1 content.. You have surround expansion modes such as DTS Neo X, Dolby Prologic IIz and Audyssey DSX modes to expand your 5.1 material to 7/9/11.1 setup...

Here are some suggestions for you to consider...

Consider Pioneer AVR VSX 1123 (7.2 AVR) from hifimart for 58K.. Pioneer VSX-1123-K AV Receiver

At the moment there are few offers in hifimart.com for Boston Acoustics speakers... You can consider them tooo...

BA A26 speakers for 14K - Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Speaker (Pair, Black Finish)

BS A2310 speaker set for 39K - Boston Acoustics A 2310HTS Home Theater Speaker Package (Black Finish)

The budget might go slightly more than what you have now... But will be a good 7.1 setup....

Thanks Elan!
Let me demo a few bookshelves and >5.1s. Will definitely try demo BA BS and Pioneer AVR.
Cheers!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back