Selecting a Home Theatre Device

arunachudh

Hi Guys,

Firstly need to say thanks for the overwhelming response of some gurus in this forum. Had driven the spark in me towards the HT. :clapping:

Recent past i have been doing some search on various HT systems and individual components which i believe would help me to decide a good HT system for myself. But honestly i couldn't distinguish the difference between each product i search. I feel every product i see is superior to the prev. one and hence i have reached no where in my search for the best HT System. So i ought to get some helping hand here in determining the ways of comparing various components of a HT system.

Please let me know how or what factors do i have to compare to say this AV receiver is better than the other. or this speaker is better than the other.

I need to know how do we do this comparison for AV receiver, speaker, woofers etc. So that i can breakdown and narrow my search for the HT system i have been longing for.

Please let me know if i am unclear in any case.

Arun, among a lot of other things, we at least need your overall budget on which to suggest some 'devices' :). I would say that unless you are ready to spend around 100,000, it will far easier to just go for a good HTiB.

Cheers

Agree with what Venkat says. Unless your budget hovers around the 1 Lakh mark it's really difficult to achieve a reasonably good sounding HT system. This I have learnt the hard way and have spent a lot of money trying out various HTIB's without much satisfaction. With a very limited budget one ends up compromising on the Source, AVR, Speaker set-up, ICs', Cables or all of them. Hence audition a few separate systems and HTIBs' and come to some conclusion. You can always request fellow members in your area to help you in short-listing systems you like.

Thank you guys for your prompt replies. My budget is around 40K. With that in mind i have started my search. I see lots of receivers, speakers etc but i couldn't justify that this receiver is better than the other.

The overall concern here is that, looking at the specifications of the receivers or speakers or woofers how do we identify that one is superior to the other.

If i am looking at two receivers what factors do i have to check in the specifications of the product which will help me determine that it superior to the other (Input output ports, decoders, impedance, freq response etc.). Similarly we have lot if speaker in same or different brand. again, what is the min specifiation req. that a HT speaker should have.

I hope this made it clear. Sorry for the confusion around this. Just want to make sure no confusion goes forward when am deciding my HT system. Kindly bear me!!!:sad:

Your help is very much Appreciated and welcomed!:)

You, my friend, are in a much better position than most of us here! Since you are fairly fresh on this subject and devoid of the usual information overload, trust you ears - it's actually that simple. Have as many auditions as possible and buy the one that you like the most and fits your budget. Once installed, stop buying anymore av magazines or browsing addictive forums. Peace.

Having said that, here is somewhere you can find some bare basic info on different components and their purposes associated with this hobby.

With the kind of budget you mentioned, your best bet is to get an HTIB from Onkyo that fits your bill and may be replace the fronts with a decent pair of bookshelfs like the Diamond 9.2, for example.

Alternatively, if you are open to used market, get hold of avrs like the excellent all-rounder Denon 1906 or from CA or Marantz models from yesteryears - if you are not too hung up on the HD mania and you own considerable collection of DVDs, this is all it needs! Get yourself a floorstander like Diamond 9.5, MA BR5, Kef IQ5 etc OR a pair of Diamond 9.1 with SW150 sub for the time being and build on it as and when your funds permit.

Happy auditioning.

Many Thanks. I will go through the link provided.

Can anyone suggest me any place(online or Real) to buy used products. May be i will have a look at that too.

cheers
Arun

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back