Selecting a projector for living room HT.

Congratulations. Also be happy that 2050a has a better contrast ratio than Epson or even benq's own entry level 4k projectors. And most of the time, especially with dlp, you don't really see much difference between 1080p and 4k. For a 110 inch screen, I don't think pixels are visible unless you are less than 8 feet from the screen.

Also, get a couple of 3d glasses. 3d in dlp is very good.

Congratulations. Also be happy that 2050a has a better contrast ratio than Epson or even benq's own entry level 4k projectors. And most of the time, especially with dlp, you don't really see much difference between 1080p and 4k. For a 110 inch screen, I don't think pixels are visible unless you are less than 8 feet from the screen.

Also, get a couple of 3d glasses. 3d in dlp is very good.
Yes try to get 3d dlp glasses. They arr cheap and of good quality in the US. And 3d are excellent with .iso blu ray files in the 2050

Hi guys,
Now that I have completely setup my 4.1.2 setup, a 42" TV just doesn't cut it for the movie experience. So I'm thinking of getting a projector.
I have the space for a maximum of 110" diagnol screen and have a throw distance of about 10.5' - 11'.
Keeping this in mind i have shortlisted 4 projectors as follows. These are arranged as per my preference:

1. BenQ ht 2050a - 650usd
2. Epson home cinema 2150 - 600usd
3. Optoma hd39hdr - 800usd
4. BenQ ht 3050 - 720usd

Now i have the option of a relative hand carrying it from usa so it will be bought in the USA.

Option 1 and 2 are very similar in performance only Epson having a little more brightness and BenQ giving me a little more flexibility in terms of screen size adjustments.

Option 3- some people say it can be blindingly bright so I am unsure about it.

Option 4- it's an old model so not very interested in it.

If you guys have any other projector that you think I should consider please let me know.

Please help me decide which one to finalise. I am specifically looking for a comparison of pros and cons between BenQ 2050a and optoma hd39hdr.

Regards
Hello , Its a lovely experience watching stuff on the projector for sure. i have been using an Optoma HD 82 for 10 years now and its served me well. Though there are a lot more newer models with a lot of bells and whistles now, cos the AV industry keeps upgrading at a frantic pace compared to stereo. I would also suggest you look at brands like SIM 2 & WOLF. they are excellent projectors.
cheers!
Anand

A 4k projector will have better performance in 1080p aside from the fact that it can also display 4k. Even though the lesser expensive 4k units are not true 4k they still do have good performance as compared to 1080p counterparts. It will take an expensive 1080p/4k projector to beat the performance of a pseudo 4k unit. Also do not forget the availability of HDR and higher colour spectrum of rec.709 and BT 2020 in 4k units.

A 4k projector will have better performance in 1080p aside from the fact that it can also display 4k. Even though the lesser expensive 4k units are not true 4k they still do have good performance as compared to 1080p counterparts. It will take an expensive 1080p/4k projector to beat the performance of a pseudo 4k unit. Also do not forget the availability of HDR and higher colour spectrum of rec.709 and BT 2020 in 4k units.
What I have personally read in reviews is that people who upgraded from 1080p to budget 4k projectors like viewsonic etc preferred their older ones for PQ.

Soon the search for an acoustic transparent drop down screen will start (preferably motorised
Hello Dr.

I would like to know how your projector experience has been. I'm interested in a budget motorized projector screen, preferably grey screen. Were you able to find a good one? Which one are you using and your inputs will help us greatly. I'm not too keen on a DIY solution. Thanks in advance.

I agree. Its almost 2020 now. Your projecter will last for about 5 years easily. Dont remain stuck with 1080p. I have been using BenQ 2050 since past 2 years. Though I am happy with it, If I buy any projector today, it will be 4K.
I have been using an Acer 720p projector for which I paid less than 250 dollars around 10 years back. It works flawlessly, many a times my UPS wouldnt work say after the projector has been on for more than 2 hours. It switches off and once power is back..works like normal ( as most projector bulbs burn off in such situations) For watching movies with friends and family - I find it ideal. Am sure full HD is better and 4K is best. But for normal folks who dont even know what resolution means - this is more than enough ( I do have 65 and 55 inch 4K TVs). If I have an option to splurge on either a higher resolution projector or a better home theater speaker system - any given day I would choose speakers. given even the best of theaters have 2K and most hollywood movies are shot in less than 4K resolution - at least in India 1080p should be enough.

But if one has the money to go for 4K...why not :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back