Selecting speakers for NAD 325 BEE

arjs_1

Dear friends,

thanks for your help in answering my queries which helped me make my selection for the amplifier. I finally bought the NAD 325 BEE amplifier, which I am very happy with !!

I am looking for speakers now, and would appreciate your opinions.

My basic question is whether I should go in for a bookshelves+subwoofer setup or if I should buy a pair of floorstanders.

My requirements are:
- 90% music, 10% movies
- I like English music ranging from Hard Rock (deep purple, led zep, pink floyd) to Classical by Beethoven, Mozart
- Obviously I want detailing across the frequency range, but Bass is most important to me. I want tight, warm bass - slightly more is better than less, so that I can control it, rather than less of it that keeps me wanting for more.
- Room size 18'x 12'
- budget 30K
- am based in Delhi

Please let me know suggestions you may have for my requirements - regarding the kind of setup, and also some combinations or models I should go and audition.

Till now I have heard just the following, I plan to audition few more in the coming days:

(1) Sonodyne Sonus 2605 v2 - Somehow I wasn't very impressed with the sound. Various tracks seemed to be mixing up at louder volumes, and despite 2 bass drivers, the bass wasn't very impressive either.

(2) Carnival 6 by MS - Mids and highs seemed good, bass was OK. Since these are pretty reasonably priced I can go for them with a Sub. The shop had boston acoustics sub, which didn't impress me much.

(3) Boston Acoustics floorstanders CS 226 - seemed pretty decent to me across the frequency range, falling slightly short on bass.

The Carnival 6 seems pretty tempting to me because the price is same as that of a pair of bookshelves, and I can afford to add a subwoofer(active) with it. But would love to know of all of yours' experiences and opinions on the same.

cheers

Last edited:
Congratulations for your purchase.NAD amp is really a very good amp.Pls tell me how much did you pay for it and where did u buy it from ?

I have recently bought a pair of Mission Floor standers and am using an onkyo avr to power them.The music output is too good with a very tight bass and am quite happy with the setup.
There are many other good speaker brands in the market which you can have a look at.
regards

BTW are you using some other speakers with your NAD since u mentioned that u are very happy wid your amp !!

Dear friends,

thanks for your help in answering my queries which helped me make my selection for the amplifier. I finally bought the NAD 325 BEE amplifier, which I am very happy with !!

My basic question is whether I should go in for a bookshelves+subwoofer setup or if I should buy a pair of floorstanders.

My requirements are:
- 90% music, 10% movies
- I like English music ranging from Hard Rock (deep purple, led zep, pink floyd) to Classical by Beethoven, Mozart
- Obviously I want detailing across the frequency range, but Bass is most important to me. I want tight, warm bass - slightly more is better than less, so that I can control it, rather than less of it that keeps me wanting for more.
- Room size 18'x 12'
- budget 30K
- am based in Delhi

Please let me know suggestions you may have for my requirements - regarding the kind of setup, and also some combinations or models I should go and audition.

Till now I have heard just the following, I plan to audition few more in the coming days:

(1) Sonodyne Sonus 2605 v2 - Somehow I wasn't very impressed with the sound. Various tracks seemed to be mixing up at louder volumes, and despite 2 bass drivers, the bass wasn't very impressive either.

(2) Carnival 6 by MS - Mids and highs seemed good, bass was OK. Since these are pretty reasonably priced I can go for them with a Sub. The shop had boston acoustics sub, which didn't impress me much.

(3) Boston Acoustics floorstanders CS 226 - seemed pretty decent to me across the frequency range, falling slightly short on bass.

The Carnival 6 seems pretty tempting to me because the price is same as that of a pair of bookshelves, and I can afford to add a subwoofer(active) with it. But would love to know of all of yours' experiences and opinions on the same.

cheers

Dear friends,

THere is no video swtiching with an integrated amp. So I presume you only listen to music wiht this.

Also what is your budget?

Congratulations for your purchase.NAD amp is really a very good amp.Pls tell me how much did you pay for it and where did u buy it from ?

I have recently bought a pair of Mission Floor standers and am using an onkyo avr to power them.The music output is too good with a very tight bass and am quite happy with the setup.
There are many other good speaker brands in the market which you can have a look at.
regards

BTW are you using some other speakers with your NAD since u mentioned that u are very happy wid your amp !!

I am currently using my old Woodstock speakers (8" woofer, 2 tweeters) with it. Obviously not a good match for the NAD, but the difference in clarity of sound is very apparent compared to the Sonodyne amplifier I had since ages.

THere is no video swtiching with an integrated amp. So I presume you only listen to music wiht this.

Also what is your budget?

I agree. What I meant was the primarily I would be using it to listen to music and not hear the audio for movies. Its a 2 channel setup indeed and I didn't mean to say that I use it for a 5 channel setup.

budget is 30K as mentioned in my original post.

Previously people have talked a lot about Monitor audio speakers on this forum, but i dont know if i can audition them anywhere in Delhi.

I checked out a whole host of speakers with the NAD C320BEE (which is almost identical to the NAD C325BEE) and for that budget I would definitely recommend the Usher S520. In terms of detail, musicality and sheer gorgeousness of the sound, these are fabulous, and by all accounts better far more expensive speakers. The only drawback is the bass. The bass is tight, accurate and deep, but does not have the volume that larger bookshelves would have. In a small room like mine this doesn't show up at all, and the bass is actually perfect, but in your room this drawback may become evident.

You should also definitely consider the Monitor Audio BR2. While no match for the Usher in terms of musicality, it has better bass and is otherwise overall a very good speaker.

The next step on this sliding scale where you're sacrificing musicality for bass of course, would be a floorstander, and I'll let the others recommend from experience.

Dear friends,

My requirements are:
- 90% music, 10% movies
- Room size 18'x 12'
- budget 30K
- am based in Delhi

cheers

I agree. What I meant was the primarily I would be using it to listen to music and not hear the audio for movies. Its a 2 channel setup indeed and I didn't mean to say that I use it for a 5 channel setup.

budget is 30K as mentioned in my original post.

Previously people have talked a lot about Monitor audio speakers on this forum, but i dont know if i can audition them anywhere in Delhi.

Sorry missed on your budget. From your requirements, I woudl suggest investment in a good pair of bookshelves. Lots of choices - do a search on the forum. Brands that you will see are:

Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Usher, Morduant Short, Focal,...

Hi
A Monitor Audio seems the best bet for a Nad amp.
Compensates for each others weaknesses IMO
Rgds

PSB B25 ... Excellent speakers. Works well for rock music and has sufficient bass.I guess one wont need a subwoofer with it.

for the NAD 325
please do get the Monitor audios MA Br2
if its floorstanderrs you want please look and the Jamo C 405

PSBs are supposed to be made for NAD.

Mission M35i will also be likely to be a good option at 25K.(I think Suprateep is using it, but with some different amp)

If bass is major requirement, bookshelves+active sub should serve the purpose ina better way(i am not sure but i think 325BEE has sub out option)

hi,

i have a nad c355bee amp paired with Mission m32i bookshelves and it matches very well in my opinion. So a Mission m34i would pair equally well with your 325bee i suppose. I use a MS309i sub to take care of the additional bass. Try auditioning as many before settling as this is more of personal taste than anything else. Good luck hunting.

rgds swami

Any of you tried Mordaunt Short speakers? Although I am still in the process of auditioning, I was thinking about Carnival 8 from MS paired with a Polk Audio subwoofer. Anybody tried that combination ?

Also, would a 10" 100W subwoofer generally suffice for a 16 x 12 room?

Thanks!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back