Sennheiser hd598sefor 8918/- only on amazon

Hi
I bought the beige colour HD 598 headphones at $99 from Amazon on black friday sale in 2014. I have been using it very often and I like the sound stage, clarity and comfort. It is excellent pair of headphones that you get this price. I think 8k INR is a justified price.

Thanks
Auro

Many FMs say that the quality you get out of headphones with a good DAC is much more better than the stereo setup of 10 times. Yes I believe it. When I listen to Adele 21 and 25 I felt the vocals that it's difficult to replace the experience with a setup of say 2L stereo setup for sure.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Many FMs say that the quality you get out of headphones with a good DAC is much more better than the stereo setup of 10 times. Yes I believe it. When I listen to Adele 21 and 25 I felt the vocals that it's difficult to replace the experience with a setup of say 2L stereo setup for sure.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

2L? .... I would say 10L :lol:

Seriously if you are OK with the comfort (or discomfort) for a head band then Headphone is the best way to go for it. Headphone experience will be very difficult to simulate in a Hifi system. As I said, at least 100 times the price you need to pay for such experience in Hifi.

Yes, DAC is a must. Try Audioquest Dragon or Encore mDSD by Sonic (The Encore mDSD By Sonic Unity Headfonics)

However for some they just hate headphone. They need the freedom. They also hate the too much separation and sound stage headphone may produce. But everyone has their own perception.

Anyway .... note that 598 is open back. meaning you can hear what is happening outside and others can hear what you are listening too. Open back headphones as name suggests are open .... no brainer :eek:hyeah: But the listening experience in open back headphone is more wide and have better soundstage ...... just my personal experience.... others may differ on this point.

Thanks
Auro

A great headphone, at a great price. It has become my primary headphones at home for movies, music and gaming. You have to pair it up with a good DAC to bring out it's true potential.

I think the same discount might reappear or might be lower in the amazon sale coming in October. There might be card discount too, so I think it's better to wait.

Any idea what would be a good headphone amplifier that complements this headphone. Reasonably priced - say around 5-10K INR

Thanks,
APK

Any idea what would be a good headphone amplifier that complements this headphone. Reasonably priced - say around 5-10K INR

Thanks,
APK

Do not make the mistake that I made. I bought FiiE6 inline amp. All I knew at that time was amp, I did not know what DAC is all about.

Focus on DAC ... some DACs has inbuild amp as well. But 598 has 50 ohm impedance and 112 ohm sensitivity .... you really do not need a separate amp to drive it, though its kind of good to have.

In my opinion you can close your eyes and buy Dragonfly Black or DragonFly Red

Thanks
Auro

I think the same discount might reappear or might be lower in the amazon sale coming in October. There might be card discount too, so I think it's better to wait.

I waiting 3 to 4 years .... 99 USD was the lowest I saw and grabbed that opportunity. That too I am talking about US market in Thanksgiving Black Friday sale time.
See the post here - http://slickdeals.net/f/7440520-sennheiser-hd-598-over-ear-headphones-100-free-shipping?v=1
People bought tens of such headphone only to sell them again after 1 month at 150 USD or 200 USD.

If you get it lower than 99 USD, do ensure that you are getting it from reputed stores.

9K INR ~ 128 USD which is really a steal price sitting here in India.

I think if you have zeroed on this specific headphone, now is the time to pull the trigger.

In your place, I would have loved the price 9K INR, but I would not have bought it. Why because I do not like the black color, Beige is more appealing to me :lol:

Thanks
Auro

Last edited:

Thanks,
APK

How do you plan to use it? Desktop or portable? What would be your source?

If you are considering a desktop DAC cum headphone amp then Fiio - Olympus 2 E10K is a good entry level one to start with. I have it's first edition, a decent one and I use it for general use and also as a USB to Coaxial converter.

Fulla from Schiit Schiit
Audioengine D1
Fiio Alpen 2 E17K

If you can stretch your budget then Schiit Modi and Magni pair.

I have the 598 SE. And a Audiotechnica M50s (closed back).
I see Audioquest Dragonfly Red and Black are available.. what do you suggest between the Dragonflys and Encore mDSD by Sonic? Thanks in advance.
Hi

Encore mDSD has some gr8 specs, but it's new. Dragonfly is widely used and there are lot of good feedback. Encore may be better value for money, but I am not sure, about its feedback. It's too early to be widely tested.

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

There are two headphones on Amazon 598 Cs closed back for 6998/- and 598 se open back for 14k/18k...Most reviews I have read are for open back. How is the closed back version....significantly cheaper vs. open back.. Also a Question on open back... Can people around you hear this... (Have a Px100 which is open back I think but people around cant hear it unless you play it very loud).

Can you compare those and post your views?
Well, i do not have hearing experience of Audio Technica, but 2 years back, on the Thanksgiving morning, I was at the same fix as you are now. I read forum posts and learnt that Audio Technica is comparatively warmer and heavier bass. Senheiser 598 onwards are more brighter and and detailed ... More monitor like ... Producing sound as they are recorded. Bad recording sounds worse, good recordings sounds better. This may be a wrong impression i got, but what I learnt from other members of a USA online forum is Audio Technica appeals more to rock and pop lovers, while Senns appeal more to the classical, string and vocal music lover. Again this is just an impression that I formed after reading post of other members. i may be completely wrong since I myself have not heard Audio Technica.

All the best for getting the Amazon Deal.

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

I have used ATH-M50 and wanted to know how sennheiser sounds different.Thanks for reply.

Placed order for 598 SE(It says open back)on amezon.in lightning deal @ Rs. 6999... few minutes ago....:):)
I Do not have HDFC card, so don't know about further discounts...:sad:
Delivery will be on Thursday..... eagerly awaiting.... :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back