Servo Stabiliser Selection Confusion

hifiramr

Dear All,

I need help to decide weather I want to take a Servo Stabilizer or not.I am using 150W pure class A amplifier.Please find the below speck.In my area voltage is not constant it will change regularly.

Configuration: Dual mono
0.7 kVA supply transformer
Maximum current (peak): 18 Amps
Maximum current: (continued) 10 amps

So is 2kva is enef or I want to take 3 Kva.

Please guide me if any forum member have idea about this.

Queries?

a) why a servo and not a line interactive ups
b) list all equipment you plan to connect with their wattages to determine the size of servo/ups

If you are planning to connect only the 150 w amp to servo a 0.5 Kva servo will suffice

1KVA stab is enough, but you should keep the stab in a separate room as servo stabs are noisy. LI UPS is not recommended as the output is not pure sinewave. Online UPS is best but is very expensive. A 1KVA model will cost around 20K.

I bought a 3KVA audio grade stabilizer from Vertex for my BDP (Oppo 105) + Amp

I have an AVR and a Stereo amp (yet to be bought). Only one of the amps will be working at a time. So Vertex recommended me a 3KVA stabilizer. And they said 3KVA will have enough head room to deal with a BDP + AVR/Stereo amp rated at 100-200W/ch. I also connected my Velodyne EQMax 12 subwoofer to the same stabilizer and everything worked like a breeze in my initial testing of Oppo 105 + Denon 2310 (driving 7.1 channels) + Velodyne EQ Max12 playing together :)

Thanks,
John.

Dear All,

I need help to decide weather I want to take a Servo Stabilizer or not.I am using 150W pure class A amplifier.Please find the below speck.In my area voltage is not constant it will change regularly.

What I have seen is that the price difference between 3 KVA and 2 KVA servo stabs is very small. Next is going for 3 KVA will give you some headroom to upgrade or add additional components in future. In practical terms, 2 KVA itself would be sufficient enough for your setup. Advantage with 3 KVA is addition of new systems to your setup.

NOTE: Even I was confused between Servo stab vs Isolation transformer vs Online UPS for my setup. My primary objective was to provide a complete protection to my systems. Running the system during power shutdown wasn't my priority. So I decided to go only with the Servo stab (vertex - as many members were using it) and it was customized to have a surge protector (OBO Bettermann). My personal opinion is to use only servo stab. I will prefer online UPS only if I have a projector and/or if there are frequent power shutdowns in my area.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.I have got a quote from Vertex for 3kva.I think 3kva will be fine for me also they have custom made model for audio.That should be fine I think.

I bought a 3KVA audio grade stabilizer from Vertex for my BDP (Oppo 105) + Amp

I have an AVR and a Stereo amp (yet to be bought). Only one of the amps will be working at a time. So Vertex recommended me a 3KVA stabilizer. And they said 3KVA will have enough head room to deal with a BDP + AVR/Stereo amp rated at 100-200W/ch. I also connected my Velodyne EQMax 12 subwoofer to the same stabilizer and everything worked like a breeze in my initial testing of Oppo 105 + Denon 2310 (driving 7.1 channels) + Velodyne EQ Max12 playing together :)

Thanks,
John.

Hi what is the weight of the 3kva audio grade stabilizer you using I thinking to buy the same 3 kva from vertex

Check Krykard brand also. I have one in use for last 5 odd years without a single problem Touch wood!

for 20 WPC Class A (Cadence VA 1 ) I am using 3 KVA Servo stab.

Any Amp when put ON takes large current called as In Rush Current which is quite high as compared to steady state operation. Also during playing heavy base frequencies Amp takes much higher current.

Also check earthing at your place, it should be as close as possible to 0.000V, if not you need to provide a special earthing (Usually electricians tie Earth line to water supply taps ! This may work for other electrical appliance but not for sensitive electronics.)

Hope this helps

SUhas

Hi All at last I have bought vertex 3kva servo stabilizer specially made for audio purpose.

Thanks for all help and directions from forum members.

Hi
Can you give exact model and price. Also price for 2 kva.
What are features of "made for audio"?
Did you check other brands like Krykard?
Thanks

Hi
Can you give exact model and price. Also price for 2 kva.
What are features of "made for audio"?
Did you check other brands like Krykard?
Thanks

I recently bought 2 KVA servo stab from Vertex. It has in-built surge protector as well and it totally costed around 18k. If without surge protector would cost around 15k to 16k.

Regarding "made for audio", what I heard from the Vertex technician is that they make minor modifications for HT purpose. For example, the regular one will have a singe wire (Phase wire) from the internal transformer output and that single wire is connected to the PHASE point of one of the outlet power sockets. The rest of the sockets are powered from that socket using jumper wires. For HT/Audio, rather than running a single wire from the internal transformer, they run multiple parallel wires to the respective PHASE points of the sockets. The other thing is about some modifications to the internal servo motor brush in reducing the mechanical noise. Rest are all same.

I would recommend a simple servo stab (with in-built surge protector) over any other types of UPS. That is more than enough for complete power protection.

Dear All,

Are you sure that your amplifier requires only 150W power. You checkup the label near the power cable. Amps X Volts = Watts. You choose a stab not less than 1.5 times capacity of your requirement on safe side.

Are you sure that your amplifier requires only 150W power. You checkup the label near the power cable. Amps X Volts = Watts. You choose a stab not less than 1.5 times capacity of your requirement on safe side.

I have bought the 3kva vertex stabilizer.It is more than enef for my requirement the stabilizer is noise free and the build is very good.I have chosen it because my amp is class A 150+150 into 8 ohms.But it will run only in minimum volume so I think power conception is not an issue.

sorry to hijack the thread im also on a lookout for a UPS as well,the voltage goes low at times and the power cut frequency has gone higher, i need a solution which would correct voltages even if theres some discrepancy , i have a stabiliser which is connected to tv and avr but i need a UPS which shall give me 1-2hrs backup with all the below connected and some headroom for further upgrades too

My setup is as below
PC with 850W Power supply
Denon x1000 avr
Wharfedale diamond 121 BS
Xbox 360
Will be adding a PS4 once it releases
will be adding a sub and center in next 4 months
1 wifi router, 1 8 port switch, 1 media convertor for fiber optic

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back