Set up a Home Theatre

jray

Hi audiophiles.....I am new to this forum in terms of posting....but keeping an eye on other threads....got some valuable ideas....however would appreciate if you guys give me some specific inputs.....

I used to listen to a Bose LS 18....dont laugh....

but now want to set up one....

I have one 32" Bravia....so need to concentrate on the 5.1 receiver, 5.1 speakers, a subwoofer and a decent DVD/CD player....would be good if I can connect my iPod straight (that may be a wishful thinking, but this is not a must have)....I have a 1L budget....

I am more towards music....not a boom boom bang guy.....soothing music is my choice.....although would occassionally play movies....

I went thru some threads where the following config is recommended:

Marantz SR 4500
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (2 pairs)
Wharfedale Center channel
Wharfedale SW150

Since I also need a decent DVD/CD player, this config may shoot the budget.

Please help....i am from bangalore....would also help if you can give me some dealer contacts for recommended config in banglaore....

Thanks in advance.....

Jishnu

Last edited:
You can contact the address below for Wharfedale

VECTOR SYSTEMS PVT. LTD. (for Wharfedale, Vanguard, DAC)
# 97, Sai Brigades, Brigade Road,
(After St.Joseph College Of Commerce)
Next To Brigade Prince Bar, Bangalore - 25.
Tel: 25543287, 9341717966

Hey Jishnu

Welcome to the forum buddy ... !!!
Have a pleasant stay here ... !!!

Bro, what you are looking at is a nice basic HT setup, with more prone to music...

Marantz 4500 or 5400 is good...

Wharfedale Diamond 9 series, is itself a good speaker package,
but as you are considering more of music, then even audition Mordaunt Short - Avant 902i...

Though you have not disclosed your room size, so its a bit difficult to comment on for Bookshelf or Floor Standers, speakers...

And when you are considering Mordaunt Short, the concern has Cambridge Audio & Marantz both amplifiers...
There you will even find the iPod Dock, and a nice CD Player, either Marantz or Cambridge Audio, for your music fidelity...

So go on, audition them, and then make a wise decision...

Thanks buddy...I think I know the shop you referring to....it is beside Forum Mall.....

BTW, my room size is 12'X17'.....

Thanks buddy...I think I know the shop you referring to....it is beside Forum Mall.....

BTW, my room size is 12'X17'.....

Hey Jishnu

Its not besides...

But, yes its in Koramangala Only...

Okies, so is the room size a living room, or a Bedroom...???

Anyways, for this room size you can even opt for Floor Standers...

Now, consider the two Setups...

Reciever - CA-A540 or Marantz 5400R - Approx. Rs. 21-24K

Speakers -
a). Mordaunt Short - Avant Series
FS - 906i - Rs.25-27K
BS - 902i - Rs.12.5K
Center - Rs.11-13K
Sub - Rs.13-16K
or
b). Wharfedale - Diamond 9 Series
FS - 9.4 - Rs.22-27K
BS - 9.2 - Rs.10-13K
Center - 9c - Rs. ???
Sub - 9s - Rs. 24-26K

CDP - Marantz 3000c or CA-340c - Approx.Rs.10-12K

iPod Dock - Rs.7-8K (with AV out to Reciever, so you can even watch your iPod videos)

Cables - Usher-Rs.180 per mtr (Recommended) or DAC-Rs.90 per mtr...

The pricing above is the rough idea, as i am a bit confused on the exact figures, specially for the Speakers, rest are almost the same...

Now, you have 2 choices of almost all products, go on audition them all...

Ofco**** the setup up what i have mentioned above is exceeding your budget, but this is what atleast you should consider, as you spending so much..
The solution is to start with a reciever, floor standers, bookshelves, CDP,Cables and the ipod dock...
Center speaker and the Subwoofer can be added later on...

Keep in mind that MS-906i has in built sub, so you can postpone your sub, for a while...

Go on start the auditions...

............room size is 12'X17'.....

I am in the same boat :), so for a room sized 12'X17' or 10'X15', which is a better option, bookshelf speakers or floorstanders.

just saw the post has already been answered

@mridul - I have been quoted the following prices. They are higher than what I read on the forum but I was told that the prices of Wharfedales have gone up.

FS - 9.5 - Rs.31K
BS - 9.1 - Rs.13K
Center - 9c - Rs. 11K
Sub - SW150 - Rs. 22K

These are without any discounts.
And as regards the speaker wires, for DAC, I was quoted 140/metre.

I think I am not getting a fair deal :-(

Also in your post you have mentioned that the centre can be added later. Since the centre is meant for dialogues, please throw information on how the lack of the CC would affect the HT experience. This is a sincere question as i am a complete newbie.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat :), so for a room sized 12'X17' or 10'X15', which is a better option, bookshelf speakers or floorstanders.

just saw the post has already been answered

@mridul - I have been quoted the following prices. They are higher than what I read on the forum but I was told that the prices of Wharfedales have gone up.

FS - 9.5 - Rs.31K
BS - 9.1 - Rs.13K
Center - 9c - Rs. 11K
Sub - SW150 - Rs. 22K

These are without any discounts.
And as regards the speaker wires, for DAC, I was quoted 140/metre.

I think I am not getting a fair deal :-(

Also in your post you have mentioned that the centre can be added later. Since the centre is meant for dialogues, please throw information on how the lack of the CC would affect the HT experience. This is a sincere question as i am a complete newbie.

Bro

This is very true, that the product prices have gone up...
but the thing is what price you are gettin after discount...
as these dayz nothin sells on the MRP..

Secondly...the center is meant for vocals, fine, but there is nothing tht without a center you will not get the vocals...
Yes obviously when you have proper setup, the frequencies are distributed in such a way, that it provides, the perfect experience...

Now in the above case, the requirement is more in for Music, then movies...
and mostly, while music is being played its played thru the front channels, and in case of rocks with a sub, so there is no use of the center and rears...

but in case of movies, the vocals are bit affected, but, the surrounds, let you ignore them, requesting you to relax while you save enough for the Center...LOL...:p
Sorry, about that, yes vocals are affected, but at the end when you complete your HT, with a proper set of equipments, it gives you more satisfaction..
and for that particular time, its always better, to use, Fronts with a sub...

Bro

Now in the above case, the requirement is more in for Music, then movies...
and mostly, while music is being played its played thru the front channels, and in case of rocks with a sub, so there is no use of the center and rears...

but in case of movies, the vocals are bit affected, but, the surrounds, let you ignore them, requesting you to relax while you save enough for the Center...LOL...:p
Sorry, about that, yes vocals are affected, but at the end when you complete your HT, with a proper set of equipments, it gives you more satisfaction..

hmmm....completely different line of thought from what i had read, which is, buy fronts, centre and then surrounds and then sub.

I guess different options to suit different requirements.

But I think I am more inclined to your approach. Thanks.

I get your point Mridul....but when I will spend 1L, I will go for the entire system....not compromising with any component....may be BS for all rather than FS....

Bro

I have always seen that HT setup without centre channel is a waste, as Dialogues are important in movies.

If you can downmix 5.1 chanel to 2 channel than you can use front and left speakers for watching movies till you get the centre speaker.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I get your point Mridul....but when I will spend 1L, I will go for the entire system....not compromising with any component....may be BS for all rather than FS....

Bro

Thats individual choice...

But, basically what i prefer or suggest is to get a proper system instead of compromising on quality of the equipments...
Though the setup takes a bit more time to complete...
But, in end you always have a nice setup to be proud of...
instead compromising on some low end non worthy system..

Well Mridul...I pondered over your suggestion....and I think it is logical....what if have the wharfy set with only the FS, CC and the SW....Rear ones can be later....does wharfy FSs have in-built sub too?

From musicality perspective and compatibilty with Marantz AVR perspective which one you will prefer:

Wharfy or Mordaunt Short?

Purely for music, MS go well with marantz.

buty WF will give all round sound and perfomance.

jray,

Since you are inclined more towards music, my suggestion is to invest in good floorstanders, with a minimum of 3 drivers - 2x6" for mid and bass, and a 1" for the tweeter.

Most music is in 2 channel, specially the classical music, so the floorstanders will serve you well.

I own a all Wharfedale setup, 9.5 FS fronts, 9CC center, WH2 surrounds, and SW150 sub driven by a Yamaha RXV661. The FS do justice to any music you want to play. I'd have bought the 9DFS for the surrounds, but the form factor was bigger than what my interiors could live with.

IMO, the Wharfedales are rather warm sounding speakers so the receiver should be able to compensate for this. I've not heard a Marantz with them, but feel it should do the job.

I've heard that MS also are good speakers but havent auditioned them. You may want to check with Anand of Decibels in Bangalore 9886722937. He stocks both wharfedales, MS and Monitor Audio if I remember correctly.

Well Mridul...I pondered over your suggestion....and I think it is logical....what if have the wharfy set with only the FS, CC and the SW....Rear ones can be later....does wharfy FSs have in-built sub too?

From musicality perspective and compatibilty with Marantz AVR perspective which one you will prefer:

Wharfy or Mordaunt Short?

Bro

When You are more interested in Music, as i have already told you that Mordaunt Short with Cambridge Audio, makes the best couple...:cool:...
But, even Marantz Amplifiers are good in for music, and are good to be clubbed with Mordaunt Short...

and yes if you are going in for FS, CS, SW, and add the BS Later on, even then the setup is nice... as its true, that even if you have rears without the CS, then the setup will sound better in 2.1 Channel Mode...

So you again audition all of them, and then decide on what exactly suit your choice...

But dont go beyond these two Amps and Speakers...
Else the things will be more complicated...

And yes Anand, have Marantz, Wharfy, but am not sure of CA & MS...

check out the monitor audio bronze series as well and also the kefs. imo they're better than the wharfedales. havent heard the mordaunt

What about the lithos Q10 for music....which receiver goes well with these?

Bro

Thats What i said...

dont look into too much...
'n' number of brands & 'n' number of confusion...

Bro do one thing...
First audition as many brands as you want...

Then shortlist 2-3 brands for the speakers and amps to suit along with them...
And then finalize on your choice, according to your budget...

But, make sure, that your main constraint remains music, and even audition the speakers into same aspect...

^^^ and it gets worse when you start the permutations combinations and then try to check what best fits in the budget.
I started making a excel of the models, prices, different combinations and stopped after taking a demo of a couple of brands. I have shortlisted one brand and am currently cooling me heels.
But that's just me.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back