Setting budget hifi home system NAD/NORGE+WHARFEDALE

dostoevsky

Greetings to senior members,

Am at an entry stage of being able to appreciate and understand good sound and music. As a first step am looking at putting together a basic budget set up.
Thanks to guidance by a friend and to hifi vision have researched through and arrived at the following combination, however seek reassurance and suggestions before finalising:

Music: Cliff Richard, Doors Pink Flyod to RD/SD burman.
LOW volume music always. mid size room, minimal furniture.

plse advice between NAD and Norge. which model? whether used one also an option that can e explored, if so where in B'lore
speakers am inclined towards Wharfedale 9.1, or maybe FS if i manage to save money on the amps.
Must i invest in a CD palyer, since i have a budget constraint can i use my Sony DVD + DAC Beresdorf.

Total budget 25-30k.

Greetings to senior members,

Am at an entry stage of being able to appreciate and understand good sound and music. As a first step am looking at putting together a basic budget set up.
Thanks to guidance by a friend and to hifi vision have researched through and arrived at the following combination, however seek reassurance and suggestions before finalising:

Music: Cliff Richard, Doors Pink Flyod to RD/SD burman.
LOW volume music always. mid size room, minimal furniture.

plse advice between NAD and Norge. which model? whether used one also an option that can e explored, if so where in B'lore
speakers am inclined towards Wharfedale 9.1, or maybe FS if i manage to save money on the amps.
Must i invest in a CD palyer, since i have a budget constraint can i use my Sony DVD + DAC Beresdorf.

Total budget 25-30k.

I have auditioned Norge 1000 + Wharfedale 10.1 and 9.2

Both makes a very good combination. I felt 10.1s are more easy on ears compared to 9.2s, the trebles were so sweet.. And the 9.2 have more Bass compared to 10.1 (its just my opinion, you can find lot of reviews about these combinations)

You can audition them on the Vector's shop at Brigade Road.

The prices were as follows:

Norge 1000 -> 10.5K
Wharf 9.2 -> 17K
Wharf 10.1 -> 15K

If you are considering floorstanders, you will get Mission M33i for abt 13K. It will help you to save on Stands compared to the bookshelfs.

Hi Nizarp,

thanks for the details. Will visit Vector tomorrow itself.
Was wondering is it recomended to first buy the WF speakers and then carry them along auditioning with Norge /NAD/MARANTZ.

does Lakozy (NAD) have an outlet here, i believe they had opened a branch.

and whether purchasing a second hand NAD or Marantz is a good idea.

also, today while reading through saw a few discussions on DAC by beresford something! Will it make sense to use my cheap Sony DVD + the DAC for better sound or for the time being the sony will be enough. till i develop further ears :eek:hyeah:for fine sound.

THANKS, and wish u a great year ahead!

Please do let me know about what you have checked on an amp and cd player. I am also interested in getting a 2.1 system with the Wharfedale 9.1 speakers I have.

low volume eh? let me throw in my latest obsession. Tripath amps. I've tried out the cheapest of cheap of them, the Lepai, and i am impressed with initial impressoins. I am about to get a much better built one (the Topping TP20), with proper gold plated RCA inputs and gold plated speaker binding posts, solid alumnium chassis, and a 12V, 5A power supply.....as a birthday gift from a friend. The total cost shipped is 4000 bucks. I am eagerly looking forward to comparing it with my NAD C320BEE (which is very similar to the NAD C325BEE and the C326BEE which sell for 22k and 27-28k respectively, the last i heard).

This is where I ordered mine. Shipped direct from Hong Kong.

The site you've pointed is the US distributor who also sells the HLLY amps (which was the other one i was considering). This ebay listing has pictures of the circuit board and stuff. Anyone know if it's any good? There are claims to be using Nichicon and Elna caps, Dale resistors....i've heard these names but have no idea about them or to spot them. Any ideas?

Hi Pyscho
The site says the price is $119
Topping Tripath T Amp 20 2020 Chip Class T

If you liked the Tripath sound - try the Scythe Kama Bay amplifier. It uses a Yamaha chip and sounds great. It's cheaper too. Absolute bang for your buck.

I had asked a friend from the US to get me 2 [bought from here] and on my NHT SuperZero speakers, they sounded great.

I shifted house soon after I bought the amps - will you believe it - the movers [I think] swiped them both. Gone! It wasn't a big deal for them to swipe them. I'd wrapped them both in plastic and it was a small package. 2 weeks after moving, I realized that they were gone. I was and still am heartbroken at the loss!

Total budget 25-30k.

Yes, you should be just fine.

Get the NAD, 9.1 and 7520 DAC. Before you know it, you are off to a good start already :)

the scythe kama bay is available on ebay as well, for 65 dollars shipped. So you can order one if you like. I did consider it, but picked the tripath because the scythe is suppoed to be on the bright side. My Ushers are pretty revealing, and my marantz CDP is on the bright side of neutral, so putting a bright amp in there didn't seem like a good idea. Of course this tripath might be a disaster also....but hey.....it's a gift :)

If you liked the Tripath sound - try the Scythe Kama Bay amplifier. It uses a Yamaha chip and sounds great. It's cheaper too. Absolute bang for your buck.

I had asked a friend from the US to get me 2 [bought from here] and on my NHT SuperZero speakers, they sounded great.

I shifted house soon after I bought the amps - will you believe it - the movers [I think] swiped them both. Gone! It wasn't a big deal for them to swipe them. I'd wrapped them both in plastic and it was a small package. 2 weeks after moving, I realized that they were gone. I was and still am heartbroken at the loss!

been hearin about tripaths for a while now,sounds very interesting indeed psycho.do post impressions.cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back