Setting Up Acoustic Portrait Swara Dac

rajkr100

Dear Forum Member,

I have purchased new AP Swara Dac yesterday. However, I have spent lot of time to setting up but not able to connect it. Please help me to set up this to my maranz pm 6005 amplifer. How can I streame online radio like sawaan, wynk audio through this and my media files on my mobile.

As I am very much novice regarding networking issue. I have connected dac from router via wire and also connected dac to amp. through rca cable it is not operating from my moblie phone. I have chroemcast also what connected very easily to amt. through google home software.

Raj Kumar
from Delhi

ph. 8376806009

call me if any one in delhi.

Thanks

You have to setup dlna / airplay. Wynk and saavn can be streamed only if Airplay is available on the device.
Connect it to network via ethernet cable first.

-Amit

Did you speak to Siva or Jeya from Acoustic Portrait regarding help with the setup? If not, please reach out to them.

best,
apk

Thanks dear for reply.

I ve asked from Mr. Shiva and he is kindly ready to help me.

Raj

Raj Kumar,

You need a computer or network streamer before the DAC.
Your connection would be like this:

Router > Streamer/Computer > USB Cable > AP Swara DAC > RCA Cable > Amplifier

Network streamers are a big area but very interesting.
Recently small board computers (SBC) have become very popular also.

Since you are new to this area see if you can get some help locally or on this forum
It is not very hard but just enjoy the experience.

Regards

Last edited:
Raj Kumar,

You need a computer or network streamer before the DAC.
Your connection would be like this:

Router > Streamer/Computer > USB Cable > AP Swara DAC > RCA Cable > Amplifier

Network streamers are a big area but very interesting.
Recently small board computers (SBC) have become very popular also.

Since you are new to this area see if you can get some help locally or on this forum
It is not very hard but just enjoy the experience.

Regards

Hi Nikhil,

Maybe you are mistaking the Swara dac with Thiaga dac. Swara is based on raspberry pi and so don't think it takes USB input.

Thanks
Satya

Don't intend hijacking the OP from his question...I'm on the lookout for a nice DAC and have shortlisted between the W4S DAC2SE and the Marantz HD-DAC1 - I know they aren't of the same order, with DAC2 offering balanced XLR while the Marantz doesn't.

While I was browsing through I read about the AP Thiyaga DAC, stumbled upon this thread and see swaroop has a full AP chain incl the Thiyaga DAC. There's just this one other post that discusses the AP DAC, couldn't find much of reviews outside the forum either. Can you please comment on the sound of the DAC, will be very helpful if you can make some comparisons with other DACs you may have heard...

My system presently is the Marantz CD6004-Yamaha A-S2100-Dali Opticon 8.

Planning to use the DAC with a macbook pro...

appreciate some feedback, thanks

The AP dac is a very very clean dac in my opinion. I have listened to only a handful of dacs and the other dac I use is Gungnir MB which is also good but I feel it adds some colour to music slightly.

The dac does synergise very well with the set-up. I dont think any of my subjective descriptions would be worth a live demo. Given you stay in Chennai itself, y not visit or carry my dac and test in your set-up? I am out of station for the next two weeks though.

Planning to use the DAC with a macbook pro...

the USB input does not work with mac. if your macbook has optical input, you can use it or you can try option like Schiit Eitr if USB is must. I currently connect my iMac through optical.

Hi Nikhil,

Maybe you are mistaking the Swara dac with Thiaga dac. Swara is based on raspberry pi and so don't think it takes USB input.

Thanks
Satya

Oops. My mistake ... sorry about that.
Yes the Swara is one box solution with Pi and DAC.

Thansk Dear for Reply,

With the help of Shiva now I am able to set it up now but there is certains things I want to clear in respect to swara dac.

1. I don't see any significantly change in the reproduction of out put from dac through Maranz- pm 6005 amp. I have also Google chormecast and the out come is same less or more :sad:. My question is that Is swars dac or any other dac takes some time to burn it up to give full of its potential like new amplifiers required some time.

2. Is there is any music app. like Saawan, Gaana etc. can be played through dac like it can be played from Chorecast.

Thanks you.

Thansk Dear for Reply,

With the help of Shiva now I am able to set it up now but there is certains things I want to clear in respect to swara dac.

1. I don't see any significantly change in the reproduction of out put from dac through Maranz- pm 6005 amp. I have also Google chormecast and the out come is same less or more :sad:. My question is that Is swars dac or any other dac takes some time to burn it up to give full of its potential like new amplifiers required some time.

2. Is there is any music app. like Saawan, Gaana etc. can be played through dac like it can be played from Chorecast.

Thanks you.
Tryout BubbleUPnP. It streams everything to the RuneAudio installed in Swara DAC. By everything I mean Google Music, Spotify, YouTube, Gaana, Saawan, Tidal .... I own this dac .... Probably the first customer .... I highly recommend this streamer / DAC. For me, I could make our subtle difference after adding the dac to my audio chain.

I am considering to buy BubbleUPnP app. By the way, RuneAudio also has an app not as good and flexible as BubbleUPnP.

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1. I don't see any significantly change in the reproduction of out put from dac through Maranz- pm 6005 amp<snip>burn it up to give full of its potential like new amplifiers required some time.

1. IMHO Burn-in is real. WRT DACs I've heard (if you convinced myself I heard I will not roll my eyes) a improvement after a DAC change and a change to the DAC.
2. Mike Moffat suggests thinking of the ear as an integral rather than a differential device ie. do some long(ish) term listening
3. As you know the differences are in the subtle stuff
4. Burn in will not give you something that is radically different from Day 1. If you did not like it then you probably never will (this was from a speaker experiment)
5. I have a PM6005. The '05 is nice and I enjoy listening to music off it. And I have heard what a made in China pre-amp and a small Made in China Class D amp can do. It might be that you get a wider sound stage and better bass with another amp.
6. The subtle stuff from the DAC can be overwhelmed by your room. Try the Waterloo Sunset (the kinks) or Young Folks "tests" or may be LEDR

Happy listening

ciao
gr

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back