Setting up my hifi

Too many choices means lot of confusion..
Finally I have decided on the below:

I will go for speaker audition and decide on SM or FloorStander speaker (~30K)
I will get a NAD/Marantz CDP (~18K)
Next is an integrated amplifier .. (because pre + power is too costly for me now and I can also save for the next component below ;)) (~40K)
A turntable ... (15K ???)

Chaps - keep the ideas pouring for each of the components

Cheers
Deepak

-----------> See my post below------------------>

Last edited:
Too many choices means lot of confusion..
Finally I have decided on the below:

I will go for speaker audition and decide on SM or FloorStander speaker (~30K)
I will get a NAD/Marantz CDP (~18K)
Next is an integrated amplifier .. (because pre + power is too costly for me now and I can also save for the next component below ;)) (~40K)
A turntable ... (15K ???)

Chaps - keep the ideas pouring for each of the components

Cheers
Deepak

I would suggest to spare more funds for speakers, it should be around 50 - 75 K, this single investment will provide you years and years of joy. A 50 K bookshelf is better than a 50 K floor stander.

If required cut the budget towards a dedicated CDP, you can manage with a good DVDP from Philips, Pioneer, Samsung for a while. With Music servers catching on and Hi Resolution download a reality , you will be sure looking for a decent DAC one day or other and then there won't be any takers for your 18K NAD CDP! Go with a DVDP now and start saving for your future DAC.

Also consider a pre owned amp , that way you get a much better product than entry level amo (new) while still remaining within the budget.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Hummm thats useful info.
I was anyways thinking of a used Amp (i have an offer for Arcam delta 290 .. how does it sound?)

I will then try go shift some of my budget to speakers...again regarding Standmounts I have the question about the bass handling capability
though I agree that the same price SM will be much VFM than FS.

I will tell my experience once I do my auditions. Its all talking and no action from me for some more time coz a little busy with things.

Also another question - Im travelling to UK next month. Would anyone suggest to buy anything frm there. (used + tax etc)

...again regarding Standmounts I have the question about the bass handling capability

If you are more towards 'bass' then do audition Dyna 52 book shelf ( 50K or less. for a new)

IAlso another question - Im travelling to UK next month. Would anyone suggest to buy anything frm there. (used + tax etc)

Try to get a new Oppo Universal player provided you can manage to get it below Rs 10K after paying taxes and duties in both the countries.

Hope this helps

Regards,

SUhas

If you are going to UK there are few deals that you might be interested in:
Arcam CD73T is for 300 pounds - thats about 26k in hifigear.co.uk
There is one awesome HT deal, not sure if you are interested.
Arcam AVR280 + Arcam DV135 for 1000 pounds thats about 85k compared to close to 2lakhs here.

All - Thanks

I will keep lookin into the website gopi once i go there. ( I am looking for a stereo set up now)
What do you all think of Arcam delta 290 (75w)

Where are you located? If in bangalore, I strongly suggest you listen to the Ushers once.

As far as source is concerned, take a look at chinese DACs. Some of them are really good value for money.

Arcams are good value for money but you can do way way better for 30 grand. Someone is selling a Plinius 8200 in the forums. Might cost a bit more but that is one hell of an amp. You'd want to take a look at it.

Plinius is 78K a bit out of my pocket

I also have an ofer for NAD C160 + NAD 208 THX for 45 K ...How does that sound????

Hi Deepak
The bass handling capability of FS vs SM is mis-understood and too generalized IMO. In general (all other things being the same), the FS will give you lower bass than a SM, however the quality of the sound from the woofer unit may not be as good as an SM. In general, this is sacrificed for that bit of extension.
Some FS are also tuned in such a way to increase the bass freq in comparision with the rest of the spectrum, again giving a perception of better bass. If you listen to a good SM and then a floorstander of equivalent price, what I mention above will be obvious.

cheers
Sridhar

Hummm thats useful info.
I was anyways thinking of a used Amp (i have an offer for Arcam delta 290 .. how does it sound?)

I will then try go shift some of my budget to speakers...again regarding Standmounts I have the question about the bass handling capability
though I agree that the same price SM will be much VFM than FS.

I will tell my experience once I do my auditions. Its all talking and no action from me for some more time coz a little busy with things.

Also another question - Im travelling to UK next month. Would anyone suggest to buy anything frm there. (used + tax etc)

I will defenitely keep that in mind...
Right now I have some offers for amplifiers.. please could you all look and see if these are good offers:

Arcam delta 290 - 12K (10yr old)

NAD C160 pre + 290 THX Power - 45 K (used)

Roksan Kandy MKIII Integrated - 60 K (new without bill)

DENON PMA 2000 (not sure.. he told it costs 1.3 lk + vat in retail) - 75 K

My budget was below 50K (initially around 30 K haha )

Roksan Kandy MKIII Integrated is good but not sure about the price Who is selling this Roksan ?AFAIK since OCeanic stopped dealing in this brand never heard of any body else dealing in it. Anyway check international price and see that this price of 60 K is in line with it, bear in mind that prices in India are 20-50% higher that USD prices(converted in INR). Why without bill ? Save on taxes (VAT) or gray market stuff?

As far as your list goes, I sincerely believe that you better search for more options.

Allow me to suggest some more options here:

1> Look at Jolida products. 1501RC 100 WPC, Hybrid ?? Valves at pre stage and MOSFETS at power stage. A great sounding amp , work horse indeed, I once owned it before I upgraded. You can have it new @ 45-50K with Bill and warranty from Oceanic , Pune. There is one identical but less powered (50 WPC) version also available at a less price , do check that also. Also check Jolida 1703 , that will help you start with 2 ch stereo today and later add more channels to build a 5.1 HT system!

2> Lyrita Integre valve amp 36 W push pull, another gem of a amp. Very fine sounding, sweet and able performer. I once auditioned it, except some fit and finish issues there is nothing wrong as such with this amp. Talk to Viren Bakshi prop. Lyrita, he may be in position to arrange a home audition for you.

3> Also check ARCAM A series (A-60 / A-70 / A-80 I don?? remember exactly) , I auditioned it last year, very fine and balance performance, will gives tons of SS punch still maintains sweetness. Prices will be slightly higher than 50K but at least give a patient hearing to the series. I believe Prithviraj Vedpathak of Absolute Phase Bangalore deals in ARCAM.

I would prefer Jolida , you get best of the both worlds - richness and warmth of Valves and clean punches of absolute Solid state power. Plus you get top notch fit and finish, tank like body and construction and excellent after sales support from Mahendra Dave of Oceanic.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Right now I have some offers for amplifiers.. please could you all look and see if these are good offers:

stay away from a 10yr old product.

a new denon PMA 2000 costs 115000 inc vat.so if u are getting a new one with or without bill for 75k is still a good deal.

arcam delta 290 has some very good reviews and should get you the house sound for 12k. I think thats a good place to start with. Particularly, if you are thinking of upgrading or choosy about the sound, this arcam will not prove costly. I think getting it at 25% of its cost roughly is also not a bad deal.

Hi Deepak,

Option 1) 10 years is too old for my liking.
Option 2) Very Decent option and easily servicable if need ever arises.
Option 3) Sweet amp with super tonality but poor drive. U can get new with bill/warranty at about 60/65K so why buy without. My friend Marbin Colah is the distributor of the brand and will ship to u for sure but i dont think its the best amp u can buy for 65 K!!!!!!!!!!!
Option 4) Not heard this Denon so wont comment but generally the current lot of Denon Stereo amps are not well received.
Regards

Hey Dinyaar...long time my friend! Where have you been?!

Well, I have heard the DCD/PMA 2000 combo and find it an excellent system! Definitely not like the entry level 2ch amps of Denon. These ones are built like tanks and really nice to hear. I think they were driving a pair of the LSi 15s, Check it out if you get a chance.

Cheers.

NAD Monitor series 1600 pre amp +
NAD Monitor series 2400 power amp

Power amp has 100w rms with MOSFET design and soft clipping feature and AB speakers

pre has AM/FM tuner, Tape A B, bass, treble vol controls with remote etc...

You might want to check if Soundsmiths still has any of those demo McCormacks left for sale. I got a 6 month old demo DNA-125 with full warranty for around 40% of MRP. It'll blow all the amps being discussed here to smithereens when you compare the drive and tonality.

With that kind of a budget, I'd also try renegotiating that Plinius 8200 for sale in the forum. Its better than anything NAD/Marantz/Denon has to offer by miles and sounds really really tube like but has all the drive you need in the world. ARN also has the basic version of the Odyssey Stratos for around 60 or so inclusive of taxes. An option would be to get that and a cheap used preamp which can be upgraded later.

All of these are much better options that what is being considered here.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back