Setting up new TT - Advice required

Mayank Shah

I hope to set up a new Rega Planar 3 in the near future. Even before we go into the actual setup of the TT itself, I hope my current plan of having a slab of granite or marble on top of 12mm or 19mm plywood is sufficient. Or is there anything else I should be looking at as the surface on which the TT would rest. If this surface is good enough, should I be looking at something to place between the TT and the stone top? Thanks. Stay safe.

I hope to set up a new Rega Planar 3 in the near future. Even before we go into the actual setup of the TT itself, I hope my current plan of having a slab of granite or marble on top of 12mm or 19mm plywood is sufficient. Or is there anything else I should be looking at as the surface on which the TT would rest. If this surface is good enough, should I be looking at something to place between the TT and the stone top? Thanks. Stay safe.
anything which can isolate will only be good. Usually rega recommends wall brackets..so having a cork/rubber below the granite may work well.

Experiment :)

Any specific reason you are planning for a slab for this TT. Where do you intend to house the TT originally?
No specific reason. Just what I felt would be good as a plinth. Some wood work going on now at home and I already have some stone slabs with me. Any other ideas for plinth? Original and permanent housing is going to be on a shelf and not wall mount.

anything which can isolate will only be good. Usually rega recommends wall brackets..so having a cork/rubber below the granite may work well.

Experiment :)
Can't use wall bracket. Will be on top of a shelf or table. As of now the only idea I have is a plywood shelf with a stone top. Will try to sandwich these material(s) between ply and stone and see.

The Rega is an unsuspended turntable that is designed to absorb vibrations via its plinth and footers. Marble and granite are non-resonant materials that would not absorb resonances, but rather reflect them back where they came from, leading to a hardening of the sound. If you must have a platform, stick to a slab of wood. Else, any lightweight, but firm, stand should do fine.

The Rega is an unsuspended turntable that is designed to absorb vibrations via its plinth and footers. Marble and granite are non-resonant materials that would not absorb resonances, but rather reflect them back where they came from, leading to a hardening of the sound. If you must have a platform, stick to a slab of wood. Else, any lightweight, but firm, stand should do fine.

Really nice insight, and once you read it makes sense. Thats where it different from a Linn I presume.

While searching for any explanations as to why Rega recommends a walls shelf ie does the cantilever structure also absorb vibrations came across a site which really summarizes all options and found it really informative

BTW the most cost effective suspension I have found are 1) a half filled bicycle tube 2) 5 squashballs ( corners and center). not in any particular order of priority

Thanks. Would a thickish MDF base be better?

Last edited:
Why not start with getting the TT up and running first, in normal circumstances without any of these additions and take it from there. Find a way that works best for you. A lot of these approaches are subjective and depend on various circumstantial factors, even the model of turntable. What works well for one, may not be the ideal choice for another :)

No specific reason. Just what I felt would be good as a plinth. Some wood work going on now at home and I already have some stone slabs with me. Any other ideas for plinth? Original and permanent housing is going to be on a shelf and not wall mount.
Oh cool, as you have work already going on, you can make a few bases and experiment when you setup the TT. Best advised would be to start with getting the TT up and running as is and then play around with the bases ;)

Why not start with getting the TT up and running first, in normal circumstances without any of these additions and take it from there. Find a way that works best for you. A lot of these approaches are subjective and depend on various circumstantial factors, even the model of turntable. What works well for one, may not be the ideal choice for another :)
+1 to that . This is far more important than the platform itself.

Bumped into a small hiccup while setting up the RP3. The tracking force knob automatically rotates or winds itself to 3 and doesn't stay on 0 prior to balancing the time arm. Online search suggests that the spring mechanism inside the variable tracking force VTF mechanism maybe loose or something. As of now since the VTF is on 3, I have compensated by moving the counter weight backwards. Not the ideal situation, has anyone faced any similar issue?

My oil rig hands are not really compatible with such delicate and intricate work. Hoping someone could shed some light on this before I dismantle the hell out of the TT. Thanks and stay safe.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back