Setting up our media room

cas8882

Hi Experts, I'm in this forum for quite sometime and read through many good information. Now the time has come up for me to ask for some details here, as we've recently moved to our new house which has a dedicated media room of size 12 x 21 feet. I just want to set it up for some entertainment. I've got an unused Onkyo 7.1 amp and planning to utilize it now. Initially I don't want to spend too much on the set-up, but eventually having a plan for a proper setup completely. Hence while searching for the speakers I've come across a couple of Jamo 5.1 packages S406 and S416 (both with Sub S200) costing around 30k & 40k respectively. I'm not sure is it actually worth that much. Please enlight me with your valuable suggestions.

Welcome. Since you mentioned you have a dedicated media room, my first recommendation (assuming you havent considered or done it yet) is to get some good levels of acoustics treatment done. It doesn't need to be sound proofed, as long as the door is solid enough to trap the sounds. But getting that acceptable levels of sound acoustics is going to be paramount for you to have a good listening experience. No amount of upgraded gear is going to fully do justice unless they live in that treated space. The advice is especially valid in case of dedicated rooms as in most of the homes, home theaters are part of living room where such sound treatment can be impractical to install and achieve.

Now coming to your query, I am not sure what model of Onkyo you are using as it would help to know to suggest what speakers can go well. But I can tell you the route most members would recommend here is to start with the fronts first, where you can get some good speakers and slowly add things to the chain. This method needs patience of course but will provide the best experience down the line giving you that much need room filling sound (given the room size) Jamos are decent but you could do better if you are taking the slow addition route. If you really need some gear to start with, then you could perhaps look at pre-owned speakers, there are a few listed in our forum and it would give you better value and higher grade of sound.

Thanks VJ for your kind reply... As per the builder it's acoustically treated :D , roofing done with Armstrong, wooden flooring, the walls are covered with some kind of wooden/cement board (not sure about it, I can get the details if that helps) and teak wood door. If we are planning for a perfect set-up I 'm sure there's no limit and a very minimum of 3-4 lakhs is very much needed to have a decent setup in place. It's in the plan for future but not for immediate. Current plan is to just have something in place to start with a minimum budget by using the existing Onkyo TX-SR-603-X, which was lying there unused. Actually we had Sony DZ370 for many years and planned to use it for sometime, unfortunately it gave up saying 'push power protector' and pushed us to think about the alternates. Yes, I've gone through many threads and the route mentioned by you was the slogan from many :). Sorry to say, I don't have that much of patience to ad one by one, as it might become an everyday search in sometime, hence to settle down in one time and take learning from it and implement it later. I'm okay with the pre-owned as well, as I know very well it's a temporary setup for max 5 yrs. Please recommend something that finds good.

Update... I managed to get a package of DSE 5.1 (AE 2922, 2923, 2924 & sub 2925) pre-owned for a reasonable price in moving out sale. According to the owner its 4+ years old, not sure how to identify. Tested it in his place and found okay, yet to set it up in my house. Hoping it'll be okay for us to begin with. Need to start researching about the setup (especially that sub)... Guidance are most welcome...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back